HP won't honor my warranty

Like many others out there, I have a power supply socket problem on my
HP Pavilion zd7230us laptop. The socket became progressively worse
until the connection to the motherboard was broken. I had no other
problems with the system.

My system is still under warranty so I called HP up. I was connected
to a "tech" who did not know how to deal with someone who already knew
what the problem was, instead he had me reseat the ram and a couple of
other tests before informing me to send it in to their service center
in California. The following day FedEx was knocking on my door and the
laptop was on its way.

About a week later I received a call from HP but was unavailable at
that time. Within an hour I called the number I was given. I was
informed by a customer service rep that HP had voided my warranty
because something had been spilled into the laptop ruining the ram, the
motherboard and the keyboard.

I couldn't believe it. It's always with me and rarely out of my site
so I know that nothing has ever been spilled on my laptop. I even
distinctly remember expecting to see dust in the ram when the "tech"
had me reseat it but was amazed that it was perfectly clean.

I asked to speak to a supervisor and the supervisor told me that there
was nothing he could do and there was no one else I could speak to on
the matter at that time. He did promise to have a case manager call me
within 24 business hours.

A week later and I still hadn't heard from HP. I finally got a call
from a very uncooperative HP rep. She would not listen to any argument
I made about the ram being clean, etc. She would only tell me
repeatedly that the service tech said that something had been spilled
inside the laptop. I ended up telling her to send it back to me. After
hanging up with her I realized that she was not the case manager but
simply the CSR who left me the initial message the week before. She
was just following up on why the laptop was still there and nothing had
been done yet.

I immediately called HP back and spoke to another CSR who did note that
the laptop was scheduled to be returned to me. I told him to cancel
the return so that this could be resolved. He made the change to my
ticket. I then spoke to his supervisor concerning why I hadn't been
called by a case manager yet. He informed me that there was no mention
in the ticket of any request for a case manager to call me. I was then
told to make up for this he would have a case manager call me within 24
hours. I made him clarify what 24 hours meant to him and he said 24
clock hours. I also had him verify that the order to send my laptop
had been cancelled.

Needless to say, I did not get a call at all and they sent my laptop
back anyway three days later. Of course after getting my laptop back I
opened the small covers on the back to check to see if the tech was
correct about the spill. Apart from some dust on the fans, the ram,
motherboard and even the keyboard showed no residue or any other sign
of spillage (as I expected). The laptop even booted up and operated on
battery power.

I am extremely frustrated with this experience with HP and I am looking
to plead my case with anyone at HP with the power to do something about
it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks
Kevin

Thanks for the prompt reply, Ben. I have checked out the laptop and
the serial number matches and my files are there. I have tried to have
this escalated but I ran into the problem with the "case manager"
scenario that I listed above. I guess I'll give it another try using
consumer affairs and the feds and see where it gets me. I'll update
with the results.

Kevin

First, just to make sure, does the serial number of the system you got back
agree with the one that you bought? And all your software and personal files
are still in place? If so, I would call HP, ask for immediate escalation of the
problem to whatever level of support they have above the low-level (usually)
poorly trained people. Tell them your story. Tell them what is wrong with the
computer. Tell them that they are obliged to honor the HP warranty. Then
threaten to get in touch with your state department of consumer affairs and the
Feds for a case of consumer fraud. If you don't get action, follow through with
the threats. Keep a log of all your conversations with HP techs, if you haven't
done so already.

If everything you say is true (or even only 99% true), you are being deprived of
your rights to warranty service.

I would not screw around with finding a class-action lawsuit, simply because
only the lawyers win out in class-action cases... Ben Myers

On 11 Jul 2005 18:29:12 -0700, "petrafive" <kpetrama@visa.com> wrote:

> [...]
>hours. I made him clarify what 24 hours meant to him and he said 24
>clock hours. I also had him verify that the order to send my laptop
>had been cancelled.
>
>Needless to say, I did not get a call at all and they sent my laptop
>back anyway three days later. Of course after getting my laptop back I
>opened the small covers on the back to check to see if the tech was
>correct about the spill. Apart from some dust on the fans, the ram,
>motherboard and even the keyboard showed no residue or any other sign
>of spillage (as I expected). The laptop even booted up and operated on
>battery power.
>
>I am extremely frustrated with this experience with HP and I am looking
>to plead my case with anyone at HP with the power to do something about
>it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

JSG

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2001

petrafive wrote:
> Like many others out there, I have a power supply socket problem on my
> HP Pavilion zd7230us laptop. The socket became progressively worse
> until the connection to the motherboard was broken. I had no other
> problems with the system.

<snip>

> I am extremely frustrated with this experience with HP and I am looking
> to plead my case with anyone at HP with the power to do something about
> it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks
> Kevin

I'd also suggest you keeping a diary of events, and sending a registered
letter to corporate. That way you know that *somebody* at HPaq has
heard your complaint, and if nothing is done, then you have recourse
through the state/fed legal system. Not worth a lawsuit, I agree, but
worth the little bit to spend on a registered letter, and certainly less
than a whole bunch of phone calls/time on your part.

--
Jim

JSG wrote:
> petrafive wrote:
>
>> Like many others out there, I have a power supply socket problem on my
>> HP Pavilion zd7230us laptop. The socket became progressively worse
>> until the connection to the motherboard was broken. I had no other
>> problems with the system.
>

> <snip>
>

>> I am extremely frustrated with this experience with HP and I am looking
>> to plead my case with anyone at HP with the power to do something about
>> it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Kevin
>

> I'd also suggest you keeping a diary of events, and sending a registered
> letter to corporate. That way you know that *somebody* at HPaq has
> heard your complaint, and if nothing is done, then you have recourse
> through the state/fed legal system. Not worth a lawsuit, I agree, but
> worth the little bit to spend on a registered letter, and certainly less
> than a whole bunch of phone calls/time on your part.

Copy every thing, including your contact log to your state's attorney
general, consumer fraud desk. It's supprising how quickly companies
come around when the attorney general is watching.

Here's a quick update. After posting here I was contacted by Bob
Headrick of HP. He got me in touch with the right people and my
notebook was sent back to HP. 10 days later I got it back with the
system board, the cpu, the DVD, the RAM, the keyboard and the top and
bottom case replaced. The power supply problem had been fixed. I am
very grateful to Bob for helping me out.

There is a problem however. The system will not stay up. I get a bsod
with an IRQL error and it shuts down hard. Sometimes it will stay up
for as long as 30 minutes but most times it will not even boot up all
the way. I intend to reformat the hard drive and reload all the
drivers to see if that is the problem.

But again I am very happy with the follow up service from HP.

"petrafive" <kpetrama@visa.com> wrote in message
> Here's a quick update. After posting here I was contacted by Bob
> Headrick of HP. He got me in touch with the right people and my
> notebook was sent back to HP. 10 days later I got it back with the
> system board, the cpu, the DVD, the RAM, the keyboard and the top and
> bottom case replaced. The power supply problem had been fixed. I am
> very grateful to Bob for helping me out.
>
> There is a problem however. The system will not stay up. I get a bsod
> with an IRQL error and it shuts down hard. Sometimes it will stay up
> for as long as 30 minutes but most times it will not even boot up all
> the way. I intend to reformat the hard drive and reload all the
> drivers to see if that is the problem.
>
> But again I am very happy with the follow up service from HP.

Arrgh.... Let me know if the problem prevails. I do not regularly get to this
newsgroup, feel free to email me directly if necessary to get this addressed.

Regards,

TRENDING THREADS