Recently having FPS DROPs and need an answer please!

dosu24

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Hello,
I been gaming on my PC for awhile now and never had any trouble with FPS or lag. I play all sorts of games like Witcher2, COD black OPs, HoN, Rift, etc. Played all those on med graphic without low fps . Recently I been lagging and having seriously LOW FPS. games taht i usually run around 40-60 fps are currently running at 7-15 fps constantly. I read a BUNCH of FPS drops that people have. and no one or any of the stuff have been similiar to mine or even fixed it. I first thought it was a graphics card problem, I was running a evga 8800GT, so i updated to a evga 460GTX SSC. and im still way lagging. before i update any other hardware i wanna be sure what it is. Because im really not sure if its my hardware since i never had low FPS before. Thoughts? Answers? THANKS

I am running
a Intel Quad Core 6700
EVGA 460 GTX SSC
4 Gigs of Ram
Windows 7 64bit

btw on the Can I run it website. says i pass with flying colors on my specs.

nathanc

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I had a problem similar to this. When a game starts lagging open task manager and find out wat percentage of the CPU is bein used. If its what i think it is it will be at about 100%.

If you reduce the maximum speed of your CPU then the problem will go away (i have a 3.4GHz quad core and i set mine to 2.7GHz)

I searched for a solution to this problem for ages and nothing seemed to help and i know how annoying it is. Hope this helps :)

dosu24

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
yeah it's mad annoying and frustrating . I keep searching and searching and everyone just says it's my drivers but everything is up to date . But when I get home I should try to see what my CPU is running at . Btw how would I set my CPU lower and why would this effect my fps?

nathanc

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010

I have AMD vision Engine Controler so i just used that, i doubt you will have that as you are running an Intel CPU but they must have something similar. If the CPU overheats it will cause sudden fps drops that last a few seconds up to a few minutes until the CPU is at a cooler temperature. Turning down the clock speed had no effect on my fps at all even on the highest settings. :)

dosu24

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
Oh okay thanks guys for the reply . Last night I checked my idle temps for my CPU at all cores and they idle at 49-50 . and while playing a certain game it went up to around 70-80 . but I will check everything at home when I get off work and see if it works

dosu24

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
update. so i checked my CPU when runnign at game. and its normal not running close to even 100% and its not overheating when i check temps. so i was so frusted and reformated and freshly installed eveyrhting. i even took every hardware aparty and installed it again. installed all drivers and updated everything. guess what. STILL LOW FPS!!! im getting something is seriously wrong. my heroes of newerth game is still running at 5fps. BUT when i turn off all audio devices i run that game at 60-70FPS. weird? yes. so i tried this on other games i play. turning off audio devices DIDNT help wiht other games. only HoN. soooo i have no idea to go from here. help anyone?!?

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
It sounds like it may be permanent hardware damage, likely due to overheating. I'd venture a guess that it's the CPU, considering that the other likely culprit (your GPU) has already been switched out and the problem persists. Then again I had a similar problem last year and it turned out to be the MoBo (12v rail had fried, leading anything intensive to cause FPSlag+crashes) so it could also possibly be that.

I think Gman is definitely on the right line of thought - what CPU cooler are you using? If it's stock you should not have overclocked (if you have) as this can lead to permanent hardware damage due to heat. 80 degrees celcius isn't that cool under strain to be honest.

Best of luck with your issue :)

-Nih

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Hah, sorry, I misread in a caffeine induced stupor. Forgive me.

I don't know the cause of your problem, but I'm glad it's been sorted, even if it cost big time.

-Nih