Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are wireless mouse and keyboard any good for gaming?

Last response: in Video Games
July 13, 2011 2:54:51 PM

Sorry if I ask this question here, but I could not find a better spot where to write my question. Feel free to comment or advice about if I should buy a wireless keyboard and mouse to play video games. I am concerned about a lag of response time. Thanks.
July 13, 2011 3:35:33 PM

I've played with one and I didn't find any sorts of lag on a wireless keyboard and mouse. Just be sure to recharge from time to time. :) 
Score
July 13, 2011 3:50:00 PM

Gman450 said:
I've played with one and I didn't find any sorts of lag on a wireless keyboard and mouse. Just be sure to recharge from time to time. :) 

Thanks. I am planning to buy this keyboard:

Logitech K350 2.4Ghz Wireless Keyboard

Again, any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Score
Related resources
July 13, 2011 4:05:03 PM

That's a good one.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
July 13, 2011 4:19:31 PM

poling keyboards arnt great for gaming. wireless 1s tend to be poling.
this means the cpu is spending cycles trying to read the keyboard...
rather than just waiting in the normal way for direct interupt. which uses a lot less cpu.
infact 0 cpu time.

wireless mice are just as bad they are slightly slower than a wired 1 of the same model.
i really do prefer wired for my HID's
Score
July 13, 2011 4:49:10 PM

HEXiT said:
poling keyboards arnt great for gaming. wireless 1s tend to be poling.
this means the cpu is spending cycles trying to read the keyboard...
rather than just waiting in the normal way for direct interupt. which uses a lot less cpu.
infact 0 cpu time.

wireless mice are just as bad they are slightly slower than a wired 1 of the same model.
i really do prefer wired for my HID's

The problem I have has to do with the design of my laptop (gaming laptop). It so happen that the usb ports on the left side where the DVD drive is located are closer to the front part of the laptop, and the keyboard (I don't use the laptop keyboard) and mouse usb cables are in the way when I open the DVD tray if you know what I mean. This is the reason for looking into a wireless solution.

Anyhow, thanks for explaining it to me. By the way, this laptop only have a few days with me and it uses an i7-2630QM cpu @ 2.00 GHz and runs an NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M gpu with 1GB GDDR3 discrete graphics memory. The laptop has 8GB of RAM. Thus, I was hoping that with this hardware it will not impact gaming (mostly RPGs) too much.
Score
July 13, 2011 6:29:52 PM

Have you considered a USB hub to redirect the cables out of the way of the DVD tray?
Score
July 13, 2011 7:05:11 PM

csnyder1582 said:
Have you considered a USB hub to redirect the cables out of the way of the DVD tray?

Yes, I have. Actually I went out at lunch time to a nearby Office Depot to browse for at most 4 port usb hub, but I did not buy it. Then, when I came back from lunch, I browsed over the NET, and I could not find one I like. Many hubs seem to have issues. I was looking only for power usb hub, for I don't want to use the laptop usb power to drive my few usb connections. I will have to buy one at least and see if I have any luck, but I don't want to spend more than $30 USD on a hub. Thanks for your comment.
Score

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 14, 2011 3:20:48 AM

wow for the price of that laptop i could build a decent desktop... i bet you wish you had gone that rout now 2...
but thats by the by...
mouse. logitech g700 is hard to beat... at the price and they perform reasonably well, better than most other wireless mice in fact.
as for keyboards microsoft do some cheap but well built wireless 1s. it would be a waste of cash if you went for a gaming wireless 1 as ther no better than a business class 1... your talking a 30 percent permium for the word gaming. thats all.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170144 not a bad 1 build quality is pretty good and can survive the odd bounce.
July 14, 2011 6:18:06 PM

HEXiT said:
wow for the price of that laptop i could build a decent desktop... i bet you wish you had gone that rout now 2...
but thats by the by...
mouse. logitech g700 is hard to beat... at the price and they perform reasonably well, better than most other wireless mice in fact.
as for keyboards microsoft do some cheap but well built wireless 1s. it would be a waste of cash if you went for a gaming wireless 1 as ther no better than a business class 1... your talking a 30 percent permium for the word gaming. thats all.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/170144 not a bad 1 build quality is pretty good and can survive the odd bounce.

I will eventually get around building my own gaming PC, but that will have to wait. Thanks for your comments; I guess I stick to my wired keyboard. It makes sense what your saying about paying a premium for the word "gaming" on a PC keyboard..
Score
July 14, 2011 6:18:24 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
Score
a c 377 4 Gaming
July 14, 2011 9:07:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!