A7M266 Won't POST

G

I have an A7M266/T'bird 1.3G that has been modified to let me adjust voltages and the multiplier. It ran pretty well at 1.5, but I had a case heating problem, so I removed all the guts and punched out the grill in the back of the case using a chassis punch and then replaced all the fans with new sunons. I wanted to test the fans and did something horribly stupid. I powered up the motherboard to get the fans to run, and discovered why I should never work on things with no sleep. No heatsink. I figure it was up for maybe 20-30 seconds at which point I detected a smell went "oh #^%#" and pulled the plug.

After finshing my fan change I reassembled the entire system and now it won't post. I horribly afraid that I've fried the CPU, MB or both. I swapped the CPU into a Epox 8k7t+ board that I jusy got in in order to build a new system and immediately after power on I get a 'FF' code which according to the manual is "BIOS has already passed control to the operating system" (This is 3 seconds after power on) And it won't POST either. My guess is I fried the CPU, but I could use a second opinion. (Other than gee, what a *&^*^$% you are. (I _know_ that)) I pulled the battery on the a7m board to let the CMOS discharge, but no change this morning.

Thanks.

G

Order some potatoes to go with that Kentucky Fried CPU. Definitely CPU.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
The fact that you got more than just a blank screen on the Epox board is interesting. I didn't think a mobo could display anything without a functional CPU. Am I wrong?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

It's not what you think it is. The Epox 8k7a series has a dual 7 position led on the board itself that runs through a bunch of codes indicating where the BIOS is in POST/bootup. If the board locks at a certain point, you can use the codes to see where it was when it died. So, this is what I had. No it didn't actually put anything on the screen.

As a side note, ironically enough, I was having KFC (the other KFC) right before I made my KFC.

G

It takes under FOUR SECONDS to fry your cpu without a heatsink. Been there, done that, feeling the pain.