Windows XP

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
I think XP will be a good OS but I am a little "upset" that Microsoft plans on cracking down on the end user license. Every time you want to re-install XP; you have to call Microsoft tech support and tell them why so you can get another code. And they claim they have the right to deny you a code. Which is going to be a pain in the rear end!

I have Windows 2000 installed on my business computer and I've had to re-install the OS 5 times or more already. And I know someone who has a hobby for beta testing games and has to re-install windows more than i can count.

I know that if Microsoft does this...they are going to create a lot of enemies.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They have enough enemies already...

Like I said in the last thread, it would be a failure and threat to M$ if they go on with their anti-piracy program.

-------------
This site is cool.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Wow and XP post. First I saw here. ctrl-alt-del has a nice forum with running dialogs. Well there are universal keys or cracks the same day as new releases. So don't worry too much.

I'm on build 2458 now. It's been tough getting everything to work. Not too freindly yet. I'm also going to receive the official beta (I'll probbaly have a newer version running before I get it).

So far:

Took a bit to find ATI drivers that worked at all. M$'s drivers which recognized my card didn't work for games, same for my son's TNT2.

This time Liveware and ATI's software are working. This time!!!

My ISP's DSL software doesn't work. Using RASPPPOE.

I've read such great things about them testing hardware and software and how they are at 80% and climbing for compatability. What a crock!!! I've crashed and crashed and crashed. Q3 doesn't work with their drivers. Come on Q3, the staple of benchmarks!!! CS won't work in opengl. Hmmm M$ really pushing D3D. Even at that my desk top is screwed up when I come out of the game still.

yadda yadda yadda

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I have the Beta and I hate it! If I wanted XP I would buy a MAC for god sakes! They even went to the lengths of just putting the damn trash can as the only thing on the desktop and thats it. They should have just put the "C" drive there to! Just so we could be MAC/PC users! It is ugly interface first off, and the idea that you have to register the damn thing every year or so and Pay them more money (uh NO). On top of that every time you access the net it is the first thing to go to there site and tell them how much software you really don't pay for!! Bill Gates is past geek at this point ... he is worthless money hungry POS!

I think my Linux machine sounds better and better every day!

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't worry... you would be able to customize the interface. Don't get pissed by it's first look. You could go backto the old Windows interface anyway.

-------------
This site is cool.

jerry557

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
Microsoft's new anti-piracy plan is the best thing that happened to Linux. It's Microsoft's software and they can do what they want and I agree that piracy is bad for software manufactures but I know many "windows lovers" who swear they won't upgrade if Microsoft does this.

I personally do not like the idea that I would have to call Microsoft every time my computer crashes. And I very much doubt anyone would. This may be ok for beginners but if you are an expert computer user, this will simply annoy the hell out of you. Probably make you mad enough to run out and buy the latest version of Linux or re-install Windows 2000.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
1. Dvd <font color=red> was</font color=red> encrypted.
2. Some 14-year-old in Denmark/Norway didn't have enough to do on the weekends.
3. Ms XP <font color=red> is</font color=red> 'protected'
4. That same 14-year-old still doesn't have enough to do.

Reverse engineering is innovative?

G

If this is true, can you give me the 14-year old's icq so I can get a new half-life ID# so my buds can play me in CS? damn that WON, heh=P

<font color=red>=P

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think that Microsoft would be able to support thier software if you had to call them each time it crashes and needs reinstallation. There aint enough bandwidth in the world to support that many calls. They're better off leaching corporations and not worrying too much about home user piracy like they always have. It may end up that this could open up a new market for a competitive OS. No Linux still sucks and is impossible for a beginner to use, and it has very little hardware support out of the box. I personally will stick with 2000 till it is obsolete.

Your Signature Sucks

G

I think he's in a Nordic jail now :)

~ I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully ~