Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 VS Windows 8 in GAMING?

Last response: in Windows 8
October 28, 2012 12:59:50 AM

Windows 7 Professional Vs. Windows 8. which one would be using less processes, less ram, and overall better performance?

More about : windows windows gaming

a c 416 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
a c 464 4 Gaming
October 28, 2012 3:32:16 PM

I only had a slight fps gain with 8.
m
l
Related resources
October 28, 2012 3:41:01 PM

No significant performance differences. Check out the article on Tom's Hardware home page.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b 4 Gaming
October 28, 2012 3:43:41 PM

I prefer win 7.I agree with the others.Check out the article on Tom's Hardware home page.
m
l
October 28, 2012 4:03:29 PM

Same though now its out for the masses devs are going to optimize like crazy, so expect the lead to widen but nothing shattering. Nvidia and AMD drivers are pretty solid for W8 at the moment.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 28, 2012 9:13:59 PM

zkp said:
Windows 7 Professional Vs. Windows 8. which one would be using less processes, less ram, and overall better performance?

The thing with this question is that reviewers are not testing for usage, they are testing for flat out FPS comparison on some pretty bleeding edge hardware. Even those testing older systems are concentrating on the performance results rather than the system processes.

The performance is very very similar to the point where it makes no real difference, Is one using less resources ?

Nice question and I would like to know the answer as well.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
October 28, 2012 9:49:08 PM

mactronix said:
The thing with this question is that reviewers are not testing for usage, they are testing for flat out FPS comparison on some pretty bleeding edge hardware. Even those testing older systems are concentrating on the performance results rather than the system processes.

The performance is very very similar to the point where it makes no real difference, Is one using less resources ?

Nice question and I would like to know the answer as well.

Mactronix :) 

I know, no one compares the services/processes it uses so I want to know.
m
l
October 29, 2012 7:29:35 PM

Gaming performance? No change, really. The only difference you'd see is a few frames higher or lower and perhaps some more system stability, especially for those who like to ALT+TAB out of their games to check on something.

That said, things feel a bit smoother, but that's subjective. I'm seeing lower RAM usage compared to Windows 7 to the tune of 30%, page file usage (which a few games do use occasionally) is mostly under 300MB at all times and my CPU isn't being taxed as much because there's less background processes being run - this I couldn't measure, but my processor spends more time idling below 10% usage than the 30% usage I was regularly seeing with Windows 7.

At the end of the day, comparing a patched 64-bit Windows 7 install to the equivalent patched Windows 8 install, there should be little difference game-wise. I've seen that DiRT Showdown benefits a bit, but Borderlands 2 drops around five to nine frames compared to the older OS.

I do wish Google would fix their version of Chrome on 8, though. I'm on a single tab and its still using more then 900MB after having around 5-6 tabs open previously.
m
l
January 30, 2013 10:04:12 AM

I had recently installed nfs run on windows 8 pro and get 30fps on ultra with vsync on but now i am back to windows 7 but my fps are 26-29 normally....why this issue??
m
l
January 31, 2013 8:09:33 PM

Your guess is as good as ours, really. Could be down to driver and OS optimisations, as the last few versions of CCC have improved the performance of the HD7xxx series quite a bit.
m
l
!