G

My son and I are attempting to put together a new system using:

-AMD Athlon 1.4-266 GHz chip
-MSI Mainboard with VIA KT266 chipset
-DDR 200 RAM (512){I may have the designator incorrect - what do I know? I'm an eye surgeon!}
-Elsa Gladiac Ultra (GeForce2 Ultra)with Nvidia updated drivers
-ATA100 60 gig Maxtor set up as RAID array0
-WinME
-PCI v90 USRobotics modem
-CR-RW
-CD-R
-Zip, 250 meg

Had also sorts of difficulty getting ME to install. Finally, and after several clean starts (reformats of HD) we managed to upgrade over a Win98 SE install.

No IRQ conflicts seen.

System freezes when trying to set screen saver

MadOnion bench marks are slowwwww.

Modem functions intermittantly but works in another system running Win98 SE.

I think the issue is with the graphics board. My son (certified network tech - 6 system experience) thinks there may be an issue with the DDR/mobo match-up.

I guess my question is this: anyone know of any issues with the graphics card and ME?

What about my son's contention?

How about the mobo?

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you have a 60 gig drive arranged in raid 0? uhm... raid is only supposed to be used if you have more than one hard drive... try switching it off... the ram is pc2100? or ddr pc100/200 which would mean its pc1600 which would be why you are having problems as youre clocking it a bit too fast... what do you mean by 3d mark being slowwww...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

G

Memory is PC 2100.

I'm told that a Raid0 array can be used with one HD but ...

Comparing the speed my son gets out of his system (Athlon 1.0 GHz) with same board - my system clocks out slower.

You may have a point with the Raid array however. I foolishly attached a smaller drive (and not ATA100) as a slave to that onboard connector. Naturally the system didn't recognize that drive and the system also acted screwy, but that was before I updated the nvidia drivers. My son has his system set up with the HD as a RAID0 and it seems to work fine.

I'd have to lose the CD-R reader (no big deal), switch the Zip to slave off that controller and hook up the HD's to the remaining controller.

Or ... get another ATA100 60 gig drive. Hmmm. Hey hon! I need another hard drive!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Why would you even want to install ME over 98SE? Didn't anyone tell you that SE works better, gives better performance, is more stable, etc.? Did you even try listening? Did you even ask?

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

There does not seem to be a consensus on this issue. Some say 'upgrade' - some say not. I tend to agree with you on this matter but decided to 'dangle a worm' to see what kind of 'fish' latched on. <g>