Internet Explorer 9 Video Leaked, Scores 95 Acid3

Status
Not open for further replies.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
its hard to create a brand new interface. So the new one appear to be really good and maximize the space on the screen. The performance appear to be excellent... but we don't know what is the hardware behind the scene...
so.... 1 word....
when when when ??? :)

twu

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2007
[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]looks like chrome[/citation]

Interesting... sounds like...
Yo look like your uncle, father, grandfather. It must have a URL space bar..

G

But part of the Acid 3 test is that the animation has to be smooth not just rendered correctly. Looked a little choppy to me.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]looks like chrome[/citation]

Err, what? First off, all the browsers out there look more or less the same, second, Chrome is the one it looks LEAST like. Chrome has tabs on top, the single search/address bar, etc.

Anywho, this looks pretty good! I hope full GPU acceleration trickles down to all browsers soon. And that IE gets an extensions gallery.

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Maybe it's just me, but I will always prefer Firefox over any browser (have USED them all like they were my only browser). Been using Firefox since it's conception. I don't care about the little webpage real estate I lose with Firefox (just formatted, haven't had a chance to add my add-ons yet to make it sleeker than any browser out now)

But, here are my findings as of 2 minutes ago for the Acid3 test(all browsers up-to-date):

Chrome: 100
Opera: 100
Safari: 100
FF 3.6 & 4B: 97
IE8: 20

This leads me to believe that Microsoft is not in the "loop" with everyone else. Though knew about IE and the Acid test for quit some time now. But still can't believe to this day that they are that behind, considering it's Microsoft.

Though, still find it funny that for the past 6+ months, Mozilla hasn't been able to get a 100 rating, but it's close enough for me.

But, on the subject of IE, they are still behind everyone, even if this is a TRUE test of IE9.

I could only stand to watch the first 20 seconds. I'm not easily swayed by pretty, resize-able, swirling pictures. Video is a failure. What I want to see right off the bat is how it's going to be better and easier to navigate in the real world. FireFox for the win..... and even that is losing me.

G

Just tested acid3 with FF 3.6.4 and got a 94. Chrome gives me 100 but I have more issuse with it and some websites than FF or IE8.

zubikov

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
It's hard not to be skeptical here. I think we've all been burned more than once by Microsoft's empty promises and overzealous marketing. Until their browsers become consistently compliant with all standards and dramatically increase speed, people will keep switching. That's not to mention causing web app developers years of headaches of developing cross-browser compliant websites.

However, I'll still have a crack at it when the final version comes out because there's still that sliver of hope that they'll get it right.

FYI, the first time I tried to submit this on my work browser IE8, it gave me a script error at the bottom of the page.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I just want it to have extensive html5 support, otherwise we'll be waiting for IE10 to see any mainstream use of all the new fun stuff.

leakingpaint

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2007
IE just needs to be compatible and safe for people to like it. As long as there are no major performance problems. Safety & Compatibility are the winning categories if they can add that along with a small footprint then they'll win some friends.

If they can get some cool skins going and some useful apps then bonus - but previous releases have really made Web Developers and users pretty darn irritated.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Yeah, I can't wait until this goes live and gets pushed through automatic updates. That's going to be a fun morning at work. "OMGZ WHERE IS ALL THE BUTTONS HOW DO I USE IT?!" x1000.

We already knew the Acid3 test results. MS posted them on the IE9 Preview site a while ago along with the SunJava results as well as performance, which its pretty close to Opera and the others.

I am waiting for a real test though. A lot of people like to use Googles test but that's kinda biased. I want to see all 5 browsers on the same hardware each opening up each web site.

[citation][nom]Nightsilver[/nom]Yeah, I can't wait until this goes live and gets pushed through automatic updates. That's going to be a fun morning at work. "OMGZ WHERE IS ALL THE BUTTONS HOW DO I USE IT?!" x1000.[/citation]

Will probably take a while and will only be for people with Vista SP2 or higher. XP wont get IE9.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Will probably take a while and will only be for people with Vista SP2 or higher. XP wont get IE9.[/citation]

I do residential/commercial IT consulting and PC repair, most of the residential customers have at least Vista SP2, so I'm still looking at an entire morning of playing 100 questions with a bunch of people who freaked over the new look and didn't even try to use it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
While IE9 is actually cleaner than IE7~8... its still a rather stupid tab-arrangement. In its current config, theres room for about 2-3 tabs since the address bar takes up about half the window.

My Opera 10 operates at about 8 usually. Just opening Opera means I have at least 6 tabs loading up, complete with histories.

And of course, we can expect rows of YAHOO, GOOGLE, and other junk bars that normally install themselves onto IE making its GUI improvements rather moot.

While google's chrome is the most sparse UI, its also crumblesome and featureless. Good for the typical moron, I guess. (not saying Chrome users are morons).

Status
Not open for further replies.