Power Supply Monitoring

G

All this talk of whether a certain power supply will be enough to power a certain processor has got me thinking. Is there anywhere some device or software that can monitor the power usage of a PC, and therefore in some way indicate whether your supply is enough or if perhaps a new componant will require a bigger supply?

Someone posted a list of average consumptions for various items, but adding these up for an average system didn't seem to get even close to requiring a 300W, so I'm still unsure of how much I am really going to need.

The system I am going to build (waiting for the Wife to be away for an evening or weekend before I get down to it!! but soon...very soon:) is:

A7A
Duron 800
10.2Gb Seagate ATA66 5,400
36X CDROM
Floppy
on-board CMI sound
PCI Creative Blaster TNT
17" Dell Monitor (through power supply)
128Mb PC100 SDRAM (2X64Mb)

I know it's not that great, but I gotta do it slowly, as and when I can afford it. Motherboard coming first, since my current Super 7, won't even do 100Mhz FSB & no AGP.

Any thoughts?

Christopher

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :)

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I read about some ATX mobos that have a power monitoring feature. It was a little while ago though. I just read the manuals and do the math. You shouldn't need anything bigger than a 300watt for what you're talking about building.

Jason

G

Well actually, I've only got a 250W, which I am sure is enough right now, but I'd like to be able to tell if I need a power upgrade with my next componant upgrade, without having to guess...if yoy see what I mean?

Christopher

Don't wait for tomorrow! Live for Today! :)