Dumbfounded (A7V133 & Athlon 1.2 problem)

G

Hello all,
This post is similar to previous posts, but I just want to get confirmation on what I should do.

I bought an Asus A7V133, Athlon 1.2 266FSB, nVidia GeForce2 MX, and a case, and cannibalized hard drives, etc. from my old computer. I brought up my system, and Windows ME happily started finding new hardware, and finally got me to a stable state, although I still have to install a driver for the AGP card. When I booted after the stable state, I saw my bios reported 900 MHz: 9.0 mult and 100Mhz frequency. I decided to fix it, because I bought a 1.2. I went into bios, set mult to 12.0 and left freqency at 100Mhz, rebooted, and saw that bios reported a 1200 Mhz. Good, so far. I then went in and tried to set the frequency to 133 Mhz, after all, it's a 266 FSB and this should work, right? I rebooted, now nothing happens. I can't even turn the thing off except with the power supply switch (just like the guy several posts earlier).

My questions are:

1) Have I burned up my chip?

2) Should I take out the battery and let CMOS reset, or is there another (better) way?

3) Has anyone seen all of the hair I have pulled out of my head?

Thanks for your replies,
Lorin Johnson

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lorinj on 06/21/01 01:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I have an a7v133 and an 8.5x100=850 Thunderbird.
When I was playing with all my settings for multiplier I got my system to not boot as well.

These are the things that fixed it:
1- Reboot several times witht the power switch, it should recover itself.
2- Make sure your L1 CPU bridges are shorted properly
3- TURN OFF THE PS SWITCH and short the two points by the battery marked "reset cmos" (or something just like reset cmos) then turn it on again.

The second and third options helped me when I tried to lower my multiplier down too far (yes, down) and it wouldn't boot. That's when I realized that the bridges I connected weren't thouroughly connected, and the board didn't know how to handle the multpiplier change I made. I fixed the bridges and shorted the BIOS, it has been working fine ever since.
It didn't seem to like it when I tried erasing the connections I made after it stopped booting. It only booted again when I reconnected the bridges properly.
Don't ask me to entirely explain why...

It may or may not help...

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein

G

Thanks for the advice, I will try rebooting several times. I'm not sure what an L1 CPU bridge is. I'm not trying to overclock, just to get it to run at the right speed.
Lorin

G

OOPS! I forgot to mention that I have 256MB of PC100 SDRAM. That's probably my problem right there. Will the system not boot up if the ram speed doesn't match the CPU frequency?
Thanks for any help,
Lorin

Adendum: Nope, I have PC133 ram, so it's not the problem :)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lorinj on 06/22/01 01:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
A couple things to suggest:

1) Use the jumpers instead of the BIOS. I believe they work better, plus it's tangible. You can see what they're set to. (I probably don't sound right...I'm kinda out of it)

2) 12.0x100=1200...12.0x133=1596...yikes! When you changed the FSB to 133 (which is what it should be, you were correct). But, set the multiplier to 9, though.

Now, after this had happened, you should've just powered the computer off, then back on. Don't open it up or anything. Then, power back on. It should POST, but go straight to the BIOS. See page 62 labeled "Notes for Jumperfree Mode". Set it to standard, and the DRAM frequency to 100MHz. Save, then shut down before it finishes the POST. Crack open the case, and set all the jumpers. The vCore to 1.75 (that's the default, right? I'm not sure), the FSB to 133, and the multiplier to 9.0. The JEN jumper setting to 1-2 (page 18).

Post back will ya? I wanna know if anything helped... :smile:

btvillarin

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
If you do decide to overclock, and the L1 bridges aren't closed (although they should be), here's a link where you can read how to do so. <A HREF="http://www.athlonoc.com/unlocking.php" target="_new">Click here</A>

Anyways, maybe you have an AXIA, AVIA, or AYHJA stepping. You can read if you have one of these on the core of your T-Bird. If you, I don't see anything wrong with overclocking.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Just figure out how to reset CMOS (either jumper or possibly holding down insert key during power up - RTFM) and you should be fine. Now set your bus speed and multipliers properly and you'll be good to go.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

Thanks for the help. My system works now. Yesterday morning is when I messed it up, and tried many things (including shorting the CMOS reset jumpers, for your information, jlanka), but it just wouldn't start. I went to work, came back yesterday evening, remembered to set he JEN jumper setting to 2-3, booted it up, et voila, everything is back to normal. I now set the user config to 9x@133Mhz (not, as I now remember it, 12@166Mhz = 2000 Mhz ... double yikes!). I am thinking to set the hardware jumpers instead of using the bios settings to set the speed, to avoid the temptation of overclocking to 1266 or 1333 Mhz, when I don't have adequate cooling.

I usually lurk, and this is the first time I've asked a question, and I thank you all, even you, jlanka, despite your choice of acronyms (I've always found that acronym, not CMOS, but the other, and the implied attitude behind it, quite rude).

Gratefully,
Lorin
---------------------------------------------------------
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean
because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.