PC gaming and wireless cards.

LocoMonoco

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Ok so i was lagging like a bitch while playing MW2 on PC. So i checked my download speed and it was 5.17mbps i was like that shouldnt be bad. I have the best PC in the house. I checked my brother's Dell Optiplex GX280 and he had 15.37mbps and i was pissed. Im going to give a list of my PC's specs and i want to know if it's my wireless card or my gateway. But my PC to the gateway is 32 mbps so i need help. It's no fun with lag. BTW it is like this for all games. i get 999 ping and 600 ping on games thats the full blown problem.

PC Specs
-----------
AMD Athlon Quad-Core Processor (3.00)
Nvidia GeForce GT430
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
1TB HDD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Solution
it can also be cause by your isp. some like virgin media prioritize traffic.
iplayer and the likes get high priority. as do voip and online gaming.
p2p and normal surfing get a lower priority... so it may be down to what you were doing at the time you took the measurements.

also your brothers wirless may be telling the router it has a higher priority than other wireless devices.
if he is on a desktop and is using a dedicated card this will be easy to test.
just remove it and install it into your pc. and see if you get the same or higher bandwidth.

LocoMonoco

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Good idea. Maybe i'll try that.

it can also be cause by your isp. some like virgin media prioritize traffic.
iplayer and the likes get high priority. as do voip and online gaming.
p2p and normal surfing get a lower priority... so it may be down to what you were doing at the time you took the measurements.

also your brothers wirless may be telling the router it has a higher priority than other wireless devices.
if he is on a desktop and is using a dedicated card this will be easy to test.
just remove it and install it into your pc. and see if you get the same or higher bandwidth.

Solution

LocoMonoco

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Alright, i'll try it. Thanks for the info.