Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC gaming and wireless cards.

Last response: in Video Games
July 17, 2011 2:05:46 AM

Ok so i was lagging like a bitch while playing MW2 on PC. So i checked my download speed and it was 5.17mbps i was like that shouldnt be bad. I have the best PC in the house. I checked my brother's Dell Optiplex GX280 and he had 15.37mbps and i was pissed. Im going to give a list of my PC's specs and i want to know if it's my wireless card or my gateway. But my PC to the gateway is 32 mbps so i need help. It's no fun with lag. BTW it is like this for all games. i get 999 ping and 600 ping on games thats the full blown problem.

PC Specs
-----------
AMD Athlon Quad-Core Processor (3.00)
Nvidia GeForce GT430
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
1TB HDD
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

More about : gaming wireless cards

July 17, 2011 3:16:22 AM

you may want to go into your router and move your pc up the list. often the higher in the list of machines the higher the priority its given for bandwidth.
m
l
July 17, 2011 7:07:28 PM

HEXiT said:
you may want to go into your router and move your pc up the list. often the higher in the list of machines the higher the priority its given for bandwidth.

Good idea. Maybe i'll try that.
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2011 7:57:04 PM

On the list, my PC is 10. and my brother's is 12.
m
l

Best solution

July 18, 2011 1:29:21 AM

it can also be cause by your isp. some like virgin media prioritize traffic.
iplayer and the likes get high priority. as do voip and online gaming.
p2p and normal surfing get a lower priority... so it may be down to what you were doing at the time you took the measurements.

also your brothers wirless may be telling the router it has a higher priority than other wireless devices.
if he is on a desktop and is using a dedicated card this will be easy to test.
just remove it and install it into your pc. and see if you get the same or higher bandwidth.
July 18, 2011 1:52:14 PM

HEXiT said:
it can also be cause by your isp. some like virgin media prioritize traffic.
iplayer and the likes get high priority. as do voip and online gaming.
p2p and normal surfing get a lower priority... so it may be down to what you were doing at the time you took the measurements.

also your brothers wirless may be telling the router it has a higher priority than other wireless devices.
if he is on a desktop and is using a dedicated card this will be easy to test.
just remove it and install it into your pc. and see if you get the same or higher bandwidth.

Alright, i'll try it. Thanks for the info.
m
l
August 2, 2011 8:52:44 AM

I've found my answer. I need a new Wireless card. After testing the two i found that his seems to get more bandwith on both PC's.
m
l
August 2, 2011 8:53:20 AM

Best answer selected by LocoMonoco.
m
l
!