AD11 + Athlon 1.4 HELP!

G

I just put together a computer, with a FIC AD11 MB and an Athlon Thunderbird 1.4ghz processor. I have a Geforce 2 GTS video card and a NIC installed. My computer hangs nearly every time I run a direct 3d or opengl application, games, benchmark programs (3D Mark 2000), 3D Mark 2001 froze on the texture thing during installation, Pov-Ray even performed an illegal operation once, this is all within a time frame of about 2 hours. I installed the VIA AGP drivers and the 4 in 1 driver, I have the latest drivers for my video card installed, my CPU temp is fine (around 49C), I can't figure out what the problem is, this is unbearable . . . . I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions, please tell me, I'm at a loss. This is my first non Intel processor, I really want to stick with the AMD, but I've never had any of these problems before, with any system I've owned . . . .

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
1) What kind of RAM are you running?

2) What OS are you running?

3) I've run into problems before with the Busmaster piece of the VIA 4-in-1's

4) I see they just came out with 4.32 VIA 4-in-1. You try that yet? Also, I think the order you install the 4-in-1 vs. your Video card drivers is important. I seem to remember 4-in-1 first, then video card. Could be wrong on that one, though. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

5) Have you tried stripping it down (removing sound card and NIC and whatever else is unnecessary) and playing games that way? Admittedly you won't have any sound, but just as a test.

Just some starting points.

Good luck.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

RAM is Micron DDR 2100 (512mb).

I'm running Windows 98, or trying to . . . .

The only thing I've installed is a NIC and a video card, I haven't even put the sound card in yet.

G

I had a similar problem with my ad11 and w2k until I made sure all IRQs were not shared.

G

What is your power supply? Looks like it doesn't give enough juice for your system under full load.

Leo

extremity

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2001
I don`t like being the bearer of bad news, however in the slot A (SD11) days, I used the FIC M/B`s because they appeared the very best available.
What can I say "I was wrong" get yourself a nice new ASUS A7N-R when they are available.

On the Edge of Extremity
Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
Custom Building of PC`s.