Advice needed: Upgrading HP Pavilion 4535

I am considering upgrading my HP Pavilion 4535 (400 MHz Celeron, ASUS/
HP Hawk motherboard- Micro ATX, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB 5400 RPM HDD).
Considering the following:

- AMD 64 processor with 90 nm core
- Socket 939 board
- 2x512 MB DDR RAM
- 7200 RPM SATA HDD

What are the possible issues if I decide to replace the guts, but keep
everything else in my existing machine?:

- Will the existing HP 4535 case hold a standard ATX board? The current
one is Micro ATX, I think.
- Will the existing power supply be able to power the new chip?
- Will the existing case allow the new chip to cool. Do I need a new
fan?
- Other issues?

Should I just scrap the existing case and buy a new case and power
supply?

Thanks for the help
2 answers Last reply
More about advice needed upgrading pavilion 4535

    The existing HP chassis has a microATX board in it, and it cannot hold a larger
    full ATX board. Any modern AMD (Semperon, etc) or Intel processor (Socket 478
    Celeron or Pentium 4) requires a power supply which supplies 12v direct to the
    motherboard via an additional power cable. Your system has an older ATX power
    supply which lacks the 12v power cable, and is likely to come up short in
    supplying the wattage needed by a new motherboard, CPU, memory and SATA drive.
    You also need different power for an SATA drive than for an IDE/ATA drive.

    All of the above argues for a new case with power supply capable of powering the
    newer motherboard and SATA drive. 300w is a minimum, 350w better... Ben Myers

    On 14 Jul 2005 09:34:23 -0700, emptor_caveat@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I am considering upgrading my HP Pavilion 4535 (400 MHz Celeron, ASUS/
    >HP Hawk motherboard- Micro ATX, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB 5400 RPM HDD).
    >Considering the following:
    >
    >- AMD 64 processor with 90 nm core
    >- Socket 939 board
    >- 2x512 MB DDR RAM
    >- 7200 RPM SATA HDD
    >
    >What are the possible issues if I decide to replace the guts, but keep
    >everything else in my existing machine?:
    >
    >- Will the existing HP 4535 case hold a standard ATX board? The current
    >one is Micro ATX, I think.
    >- Will the existing power supply be able to power the new chip?
    >- Will the existing case allow the new chip to cool. Do I need a new
    >fan?
    >- Other issues?
    >
    >Should I just scrap the existing case and buy a new case and power
    >supply?
    >
    >Thanks for the help

    In addition, frankly the HP microATX Pavilion cases are a royal pain in the ass
    for maintenance, upgrading, and access to all the devices inside... Ben Myers

    On 14 Jul 2005 09:34:23 -0700, emptor_caveat@hotmail.com wrote:

    >I am considering upgrading my HP Pavilion 4535 (400 MHz Celeron, ASUS/
    >HP Hawk motherboard- Micro ATX, 256 MB RAM, 30 GB 5400 RPM HDD).
    >Considering the following:
    >
    >- AMD 64 processor with 90 nm core
    >- Socket 939 board
    >- 2x512 MB DDR RAM
    >- 7200 RPM SATA HDD
    >
    >What are the possible issues if I decide to replace the guts, but keep
    >everything else in my existing machine?:
    >
    >- Will the existing HP 4535 case hold a standard ATX board? The current
    >one is Micro ATX, I think.
    >- Will the existing power supply be able to power the new chip?
    >- Will the existing case allow the new chip to cool. Do I need a new
    >fan?
    >- Other issues?
    >
    >Should I just scrap the existing case and buy a new case and power
    >supply?
    >
    >Thanks for the help

Hewlett Packard HP Pavilion Computers