MEDIA: Sprint Worst in Chicago

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local_story_309163624.html

Sprint is the worst on a survey list in Chicago. Verzion at the top just
behind local (regional) US Cellular.
14 answers Last reply
More about media sprint worst chicago
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Steve wrote:
    > http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local_story_309163624.html
    >
    > Sprint is the worst on a survey list in Chicago. Verzion at the top just
    > behind local (regional) US Cellular.

    Sprint's had problems in Chicago in the past. I'm sorry to see they are
    apparently still having problems. :(

    It was amusing, however, watching Sprint, Verizon, and some other carriers who
    had problems reported reply "but that's not what *our* test results show!"

    (Links to carrier replies are at the bottom of the web page.)

  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I honestly don't think Sprint is having problems in Chicago. These
    type of tests are often flawed and unreliable and favor the 800 Mhz
    carriers. They've invested so much money in Chicago over the past 4
    years that I don't believe they're really that bad.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    In article <cmlv63$7i8$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
    Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

    > Steve wrote:
    > > http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local_story_309163624.html
    > >
    > > Sprint is the worst on a survey list in Chicago. Verzion at the top just
    > > behind local (regional) US Cellular.
    >
    > Sprint's had problems in Chicago in the past. I'm sorry to see they are
    > apparently still having problems. :(

    Actually, I was just in Chicago a week ago. I had been there about a
    year ago and noticed how much better Sprint worked than it had in
    earlier trips in 2000 and 2001, which had suggested to me that by 2003
    Sprint had finally cleaned up its act in Chicago. Unfortunately, last
    week, when I was there, I noticed a lot of failures to connect despite
    good signal strength, which made me wonder if Sprint was deteriorating
    there again.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
    | inconvenience me with questions?"
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Orac" <orac@mac.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cmlv63$7i8$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
    > Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Steve wrote:
    > > > http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local_story_309163624.html
    > > >
    > > > Sprint is the worst on a survey list in Chicago. Verzion at the top
    just
    > > > behind local (regional) US Cellular.
    > >
    > > Sprint's had problems in Chicago in the past. I'm sorry to see they are
    > > apparently still having problems. :(
    >
    > Actually, I was just in Chicago a week ago. I had been there about a
    > year ago and noticed how much better Sprint worked than it had in
    > earlier trips in 2000 and 2001, which had suggested to me that by 2003
    > Sprint had finally cleaned up its act in Chicago. Unfortunately, last
    > week, when I was there, I noticed a lot of failures to connect despite
    > good signal strength, which made me wonder if Sprint was deteriorating
    > there again.

    I was in Chicago in August. While I did experience the occasional dead spot
    it was nowhere near as bad as it was a couple years ago. If Sprint is the
    worst in Chicago then it must be a very well covered city because I thought
    the coverage was acceptable.

    -F
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    "Steve" <stteve@NOSPAMyahoo..com> wrote in message
    > http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local_story_309163624.html
    >
    > Sprint is the worst on a survey list in Chicago. Verzion at the top just
    > behind local (regional) US Cellular.

    Weird, I have always had good luck with my coverage in and around the
    Chicago area with my Sprint PCS phone, yet my friend who has Verizon has
    horrible luck with coverage in and around same area. "Can you hear me now?
    NO! Can you hear me now? NO! Can you hear me now? NO!" :D

    Suzi
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Based on what I see on the web, I don't understand what US Cellular is
    selling in Chicago. On Andrew Shepherd's maps, Cingular is Chicago's
    cellular A-side carrier and Verizon is the cellular B-side carrier.
    Sprint PCS and T-Mobile are on PCS. I don't know about ATTWS - on PCS
    as well?

    But US Cellular is the A-side CDMA carrier in neighboring Wisconsin and
    some parts of northwest Illinois. Do they have PCS spectrum in Chicago?
    Or are they roaming on Verizon but selling under their own name (and
    so have coverage equal to Verizon)?

    Steve wrote:

    > http://cbs2chicago.com/special/local_story_309163624.html
    >
    > Sprint is the worst on a survey list in Chicago. Verzion at the top just
    > behind local (regional) US Cellular.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    I know that PrimeCo originally had PCS service in Chicago but later
    (around 2000) sold it off to somebody and it didn't become Verizon in
    this case I don't think.

    How does her phone work in your house?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    IIRC, Verizon acquired PrimeCo, and since Verizon acquired the Ameritech
    network in Chigcao as
    part of the Ameritech/SBC merger they had to divest Chicago and a few other
    markets,
    which US Cellular picked up.

    <larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I know that PrimeCo originally had PCS service in Chicago but later
    > (around 2000) sold it off to somebody and it didn't become Verizon in
    > this case I don't think.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:52:14 -0600, "Randy" <@> chose to add this to the
    great equation of life, the universe, and everything:

    ><larryt510@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I know that PrimeCo originally had PCS service in Chicago but later
    >> (around 2000) sold it off to somebody and it didn't become Verizon in
    >> this case I don't think.
    >
    >IIRC, Verizon acquired PrimeCo, and since Verizon acquired the Ameritech
    >network in Chigcao as
    >part of the Ameritech/SBC merger they had to divest Chicago and a few other
    >markets,
    >which US Cellular picked up.

    Those two facts are both true (more or less), but totally separate from
    each other. SBC kept its Cellular One A-side franchise and divested the
    Ameritech B-side franchise to GTE. A few months later, GTE was included in
    the Verizon merger. At some point, (I don't know if it was the same merger
    or later) PrimeCo was folded into VZW and its Chicago holdings divested. I
    believe there was actually no service for quite a while (or maybe it
    continued under the PrimeCo name with little or no promotion) on that chunk
    of spectrum, until USCC took it over and started service in what is, after
    all, its hometown.

    http://home.att.net/~dwstreeter
    "If you give iron ore to modern American workers, it will get into their
    Starbucks mocha latte, and they will sue you, and they will win."
    - Dave Barry
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    theOne wrote:

    > By the way, that whole 14 days trial doesn't sit well with me. What
    > common consumer whats to go through the arduous process of selling there
    > phones on e-bay (is there another option?) and then going through the
    > phone number process again?

    The whole point of the trial with *any* carrier is that you can return the
    phone within X days (X is usually either two weeks or thirty days) *without*
    having to sell the phone. You just return it.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > theOne wrote:
    >
    >> By the way, that whole 14 days trial doesn't sit well with me. What
    >> common consumer whats to go through the arduous process of selling
    >> there phones on e-bay (is there another option?) and then going
    >> through the phone number process again?
    >

    > The whole point of the trial with *any* carrier is that you can return
    > the phone within X days (X is usually either two weeks or thirty days)
    > *without* having to sell the phone. You just return it.

    Ohh?! I didn't know that Steve. So even if I bought the phone from Best
    Buy? I can just return the phone there and get a full refund. Plus
    activiation fee?

    Thanks for filling me in. Not very helpful at this point but maybe with
    my new carrier :)

    theOne
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    theOne wrote:

    > Ohh?! I didn't know that Steve. So even if I bought the phone from Best
    > Buy? I can just return the phone there and get a full refund. Plus
    > activiation fee?

    Details depend on carrier. With Sprint, I know for sure that the $36 activation
    fee is not refundable. With Verizon, I'm not sure. With any carrier, if you
    return the phone within the guarantee period you will still have to pay for
    minutes you actually use. Check with the carrier you're interested in buying
    the phone from, for details of their guarantee.

    This information applies to carrier-owned retail stores. With third parties,
    you may want to check with the store you're buying from. I think Best Buy (in
    particular) actually has a more liberal return policy than the carriers do.

    But the advice "check with the retailer first" applies no matter where you want
    to buy the phone and/or service from.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

    Steve Sobol wrote:
    > theOne wrote:
    >
    >> Ohh?! I didn't know that Steve. So even if I bought the phone from
    >> Best Buy? I can just return the phone there and get a full refund.
    >> Plus activiation fee?
    >

    > Details depend on carrier. With Sprint, I know for sure that the $36
    > activation fee is not refundable. With Verizon, I'm not sure. With any
    > carrier, if you return the phone within the guarantee period you will
    > still have to pay for minutes you actually use. Check with the carrier
    > you're interested in buying the phone from, for details of their guarantee.

    Of course, if you've ported your number over and want to port again to another
    carrier, you may be screwed because if you return the phone and cancel the
    service, you lose the phone number...

Verizon Internet Service Providers