Mobo can't change memory type

G

I was going through and setting my KT7A-RAID's BIOS settings last night and noticed something odd: I can't change the HostCLK setting, even though I'm using PC133 memory! (I don't know if I'm remembering the CLK name right, but I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.) Shouldn't there be an option to switch to CLK+PCICLK, or whatever it's called, for using PC133 memory? I really would like my computer to be running as well as it should be....

I'm using Abit's KT7A-RAID board with a 1.2Ghz(266) Tbird, and 256 MB of PC133 RAM.

m19

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If the FSB is set from 100 up to 128mhz (I believe) you can select HSTCLK or HSTCLK + PCICLK. Anything higher, as with 133mhz, you can only select HSTCLK. This means if your FSB speed is 133mhz, (as with your Athlon 266), then your memory runs the same speed, 133mhz. The option of HSTCLK + PCICLK is just a hold over from the days of Athlons with slower 100 mhz bus speeds.

G

So should the option to set the board's FSB to 133 be somewhere in the BIOS? I assumed since it's manufacturted as 133 that it would *set* at that, but I'll check again tonight just in case. Which CLK setting should I have it set to in order to optimally use the PC133 memory?

Thanks for the help! :)
m19

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
If your FSB is at 133mhz then "HOST CLK" is fine. If you added PCI to host at that sppeed it would be 166mhz...not many ram chips can handle that.

What FSB are you using? and what Multilpier?

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Your processor is auto-detected and your mobo will select a 133mhz FSB which is normal for your Athlon. Because the FSB is now at 133mhz you DRAM Clock gets set to HOSTCLK which means the same speed as FSB, 133mhz. This is optimal.

As for best performance, if you purchased good quality memory you can enable 4-Way Interleave and 4K Page Mode. If your memory is CAS2 then you will want to set this in your BIOS. Some CAS3 memory will work as CAS2 but not always. You can also play around with the DRAM Timing settings. The options are SDRAM 8/10ns, Normal, Medium, Fast, and Turbo. In general, these settings progress from slowest to fastest. Not all memory will work at the fastest setting. It is intended for true CAS2 memory.

The standard settings for most PC-133 memory would be CAS3 and Normal DRAM Timing (although the default is "SDRAM 8/10ns"). You should be safe with these settings. You would have to test any other settings for stability.

If you get stuck and your PC won't POST then turn off the power at power supply or unplug the computer. Turn on the switch or plug the cord back in and boot-up the system but hold down <b>insert key</b>. This will allow you to boot in Fail-Safe mode. Go into the BIOS and undo your last changes (if this wasn't done automatically). Try differerent settings.

I hope this helps.

I recommend the following sites for good reading on the KT7A-RAID. (June 22, 2001 - the second link is temporarily unavailable due to a server problem)

<A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/faq/kt7/kt7faq.htm" target="_new">Paul's Unofficial Abit KT7 FAQ</A>
<A HREF="http://www.apushardware.com/?action=articles&id=44&order=&pos=0" target="_new">http://www.apushardware.com/?action=articles&id=44&order=&pos=0</A>