Bad Mobo or Power Supply!

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I just put my system together after some delays, but when I tried turning it on I got nothing. Perhaps something is plugged in wrong, but I really don't think so because I've gone over everything a number of times. The thing I notice is not even the power supply does anything. Even if the motherboard was bad or some plugs were wrong wouldn't the power supply seem somewhat alive? I'm not sure what's up, but it's incredibly frustrating. I think I either I have a bad mobo or the power supply is bad, and it's possible that something is plugged in wrong, but I'm going to bet not. If anyone has any thoughts on it I would really appreciate them. Thanks!

By the way my specs are as follows:

A7M266
TBird 1.2 266
256MB DDR
IBM 40GB
GF Ultra
Phillips AE
Toshiba DVD-ROM

evil_homer

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I had this same problem with a socket a kt-133. My problem was that the board was not mounted correcly and there by creating a ground with the case. After I mounted it correctly it turned on with no problems. I would of corse check that first. Then if that isen't it test your power supply, unplug everything you can except your floppy and turn it on, if you get no led on the floppy and the board is mounted correctly then you might have yourself a bad power supply. Oh and you might want to check if the power supply is turned on.

P.C. load letter.....

G

The first thing I do when I build a system is mount the board and plug in mem, cpu, floppy, and video. Those are the only things you need plugged in to turn the system on. Of course keyboard as well. If nothing happens, try swapping power supplies with a known working system to see if it works there. That is the technique I use with every non-obvious PC problem. Swap the component you THINK is broken with a known working one and see if that fixes it. Might not be the most efficient, but it WILL solve your problem eventually.

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
I'll have to check and see if the mobo is mounted correctly.

I was thinking wouldn't the power supply fan at least turn on if the power supply was working? Just a thought.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Just a wild thought....you're not trying to use an ATX PSU in a AT case are you?

I'm not in touch with my feeings, and I like it that way!

G

Nothing will happen if the MB is broken/not mounted properly. Only then will the PS fan turn on. Did you rip everything else out and try to turn on the system?

dwwnole1

Distinguished
May 23, 2001
How do I mount a motherboard properly? Everything seems okay, but my A7M users manual didn't tell how to mount it. I just laid it in the case and screwed it in.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
YOu have to make sure you don't have any mounting post located where there are no holes in the board, because these extra post will short it out.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine