Best PIII 1Ghz Motherboard?

G

I've been only interested in dual CPU systems for a while so I have neglected single CPU boards, but now a friend wants me to build them a single PIII 1GHz System.

#1 priority is stability; speed isn't too much of an issue. They currently have an AMD K62 system which crashes every other day (even with a fresh install of Win 2k) so they want a system which they can leave running for upwards of 2 weeks without a problem (checking email, web browsing, etc.) They have Starband, so that means they need rock-solid USB support, and thus VIA chipsets are out.

What is the best motherboard for the job? Their max budget for the system is $1300, including case, a PIII 1Ghz, a 20GB HDD, 512 MB of memory, and a Plextor 16x CD Writer.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Probably one of the Intel boards with the 815 chipset or one of the Asus CUSL2 boards.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/canada/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would suggest the Intel D815E series motherboards. These are available in many configurations with different options, and are the most stable platform for non-overclockers. The get about 99% of the performance of the Asus CUSL2 but, since Intel gives fewer BIOS options, are nearly impossible to misconfigure.
The one without integrated graphics is the D815EPEA/D815EPEA2.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

You might want to check my post "Best PIII Motherboard" only a few pages back. As I have also been pondering the same question. It does seem the Intel 815E chipset series gets the most votes, just be aware that there are at least 4 versions of the 815 series. For the best info on these go to "developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/linecard/mainstream.htm".

The favorite seems to be the ASUS CUSL-2.

Of course Intel also makes a real solid MB in the D815EPFV or D815EEA2. Intel boards carry a 3 year warranty.

Then there is the new Tulatin PIII or whatever that might be released in the "near" future, socket 370 but will have voltage requirements current 815 series boards can't easily meet. Supposedly ASUS is making the TUSL-2 mb for this beast.

So, I guess it depends on the following:
* are you going to overclock? Ever?
* what features are really important to you?
* how important is stability & compatability?
* price?
* warranty/service/support?

Now what did I forget, oh yeah, is this machine going to be used to play games or run mundane stuff like business apps. The 815 chipset is limited to 512mb ram and no ISA slot, if that concerns you.

Hope this helps, happy hunting.

G

OK, thanks everybody so far. The Intel board looks like it would be pretty good. I've never actually worked with an Intel board before.

The 512 limit I don't like (because I always like to have room to upgrade) but that really wouldn't be a problem for this system.

I like the fact that it sounds like it is a rock-solid board and it works with PC133 instead of the expensive RAMBUS I have in my 840 board.

* are you going to overclock? Ever?
No, a 1Ghz is probably more power than they need for a while. They don't complain that their 500 is slow - it's just that they keep coming home to find it 'crashed' on its own. BTW, their current system is a Compaq if that explains the behavior ;) Their use is mainly for Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Tax/Bookkeeping software, A sheduling App (not sure which one), Outlook for mail, and some games for their 10 year old child, but the games aren't too demanding I don't think.

* what features are really important to you?
Stability is the main issue. Also need OK sound but that will probably be with a Soundblaster compatible card (maybe a Turtle Beach card ?), rock solid USB support, that's about it.

* how important is stability & compatability?
This is the only real factor in my mind. I want to recommend / build something which will run for 2 weeks + without a glitch or reboot. No hardware conflicts at all, because I won't be there to tinker with it.

* price?
Not too much of a factor (less than $250 though).

* warranty/service/support?
I just want something which will not break in the first place <smile>

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
Just for thefun of it I went to monarchcomputer.com and put togethera system absed on your specs (more or less) you can apparently do it for just over 1K not including monitor mouse and KB and make your friend a very respectable mainstream machine I didnt include the ram from this place as it is way overpriced I recentl;y got 256mb of cas-2 133 from crucial for 67 bux inc tax etc so add 130 bux to total

Mid Tower ATX 300W Case w/ Face Plate Ports $50.00
Plextor 16x10x40 CD-RW IDE $199.00
IBM 20 GB 7200 RPM ATA100 Hard Drive $109.00
ASCUSC1000 Intel Pentium III 1000MHz Combo $318.00 (Inc. HSF)
USR 2977 Modem (OEM) $67.00
Asus 50X CD-ROM $43.00
Teac 3.5 Floppy Drive $16.50
Creative 4750 PCI 128 Sound Card $36.00
ATI Radeon LE 32 Meg AGP Video Card $77.00 $77.00
Total: $915.50+ 130.00 = 1045.50

I'm sure some of the parts can be found cheaper on priceline I just did this for a guess-timate

Lagger

Ps I have a cusl2-c and 800eb @ 882 and it is stable as can be with win98 se

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

G

I cant belive what is going on.. ur talking about stability.. and Pentium III and NO 440BX.. If u are not intersted in AGP 4x , 440BX is definitely the best and most stable
Even at overclocked speeds of 133Mhz FSB... no stability problems at all
So apart from 'OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED ' crap, there is no reason why u should not prefer 440bx like Asus CUBX over 815 boards

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by spectrerv on 06/23/01 06:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Well I looked at the CUBX-E and thought fine.
Then I saw the BX133 RAID and thought finer!
Sorry Crash, but with all this talk of PIII mobos, I tried to keep quiet and couldn't.
I shall be flayed by the 815 users.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
the D815EEA2/D815EPEA2 are solid boards, as well as the Asus CUSL2 and CUSL2-C. but you might want to wait for Asus TUSL2 or TUSL2-C with 815E B0 stepping chipset - for Tulatin chips.

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS