Motorola v265 and Location Based Service?

Last response: in Network Providers
November 7, 2004 1:59:27 PM

Motorola touts this phone as being compatible with LBS (Location Based
Service) via subscription. My research has thus-far revealed
companies providing LBS are doing so via J2ME (Java, Mobile Edition).
Since VZW uses BREW, how will LBS work? Also, if VZW only supports
BREW over Java, then I wonder what other aspect of the phone makes it
so special that it can support LBS, as third-party LBS providers claim
support for other phones, too.

Insights?

Thanks.

Scott
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 3:06:19 PM

Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> Motorola touts this phone as being compatible with LBS (Location Based
> Service) via subscription. My research has thus-far revealed
> companies providing LBS are doing so via J2ME (Java, Mobile Edition).
> Since VZW uses BREW, how will LBS work? Also, if VZW only supports
> BREW over Java, then I wonder what other aspect of the phone makes it
> so special that it can support LBS, as third-party LBS providers claim
> support for other phones, too.
>
> Insights?

BREW isn't Java. Two completely different animals. A BREW app is essentially a
modified Windows DLL, which would normally be written in C.

And it's entirely possible that the VZW version of the 265 *doesn't* work with LBS.

November 8, 2004 10:27:11 PM

scott@ehrlichtronics.com (Scott Ehrlich) wrote in message news:<8c8a703f.0411071059.18a8209@posting.google.com>...
> Motorola touts this phone as being compatible with LBS (Location Based
> Service) via subscription. My research has thus-far revealed
> companies providing LBS are doing so via J2ME (Java, Mobile Edition).
> Since VZW uses BREW, how will LBS work? Also, if VZW only supports
> BREW over Java, then I wonder what other aspect of the phone makes it
> so special that it can support LBS, as third-party LBS providers claim
> support for other phones, too.
>
> Insights?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Scott

For some reason AFAIK, Nextel seems to be the only cellco offing
GPS/location based serices, even though GPS support is required on all
new activations. Trimble is also working with nextel for a real
GPS/cellphone hybrid.
Even E911 isn't geting supported outside of a few small locales. It
will take quite a bit of new equipment to get the 911 call centers
equipped to use the GPS info in new phones throughout the US.

More info can be found at snaptrack.com.

I expect the first sign Verizon will be offering LBS is a pay app, as
soon as it can be rolled out in a large enough area. If anyone knows
what is holding up this potentially useful app and huge revenue maker,
I'd like to know?

Rural carriers are having problems with the money required to
implement target E911, goals as well as the difficulty using
tringluation, in widely spaced tower deployments.
I wonder what's holding up major deep pocket carriers? Likely, they
must first deploy the required E911 before setting offering lucrative
pay LBS service.

-
David
!