Wet 11 Ad Hoc

Bought several of these for a community wireless project. They are
reputed to work as peer to peer devices within an ad hoc network but we
have been totally unable to get them to work in this way. One will
"see" the other but the mac address reported is both spurious and random
so there is no way to connect the two - the wlan light stays
stubbornly off. Have spent almost two hours and a considerable sum of
money on the Linksys help line to no avail.

Should have mentioned that the units are version 2 with the latest firmware.

Has anybody persuaded these units to work in ad hoc (peer to peer) mode
or have I been sold a pup (pups).

TIA

"crb" <cb@removethisbitprojectcomputers.co.uk> wrote in message
> Bought several of these for a community wireless project. They are
> reputed to work as peer to peer devices within an ad hoc network but
we
> have been totally unable to get them to work in this way. One will
> "see" the other but the mac address reported is both spurious and
random
> so there is no way to connect the two - the wlan light stays
> stubbornly off. Have spent almost two hours and a considerable sum
of
> money on the Linksys help line to no avail.
>
> Should have mentioned that the units are version 2 with the latest
firmware.

> Has anybody persuaded these units to work in ad hoc (peer to peer)
mode
> or have I been sold a pup (pups).
>
> TIA

Clarifying...
Each WEP11 must have a different IP address.
Each must have the same SSID
Each must be set for ad hoc mode
Each must be on the same channel
May have to enable MAC cloning and set to auto.

Airhead wrote:

> "crb" <cb@removethisbitprojectcomputers.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Bought several of these for a community wireless project. They are
>>reputed to work as peer to peer devices within an ad hoc network but
>
> we
>
>>have been totally unable to get them to work in this way. One will
>>"see" the other but the mac address reported is both spurious and
>
> random
>
>> so there is no way to connect the two - the wlan light stays
>>stubbornly off. Have spent almost two hours and a considerable sum
>
> of
>
>>money on the Linksys help line to no avail.
>>
>>Should have mentioned that the units are version 2 with the latest
>
> firmware.
>
>>Has anybody persuaded these units to work in ad hoc (peer to peer)
>
> mode
>
>>or have I been sold a pup (pups).
>>
>>TIA
>

> Clarifying...
> Each WEP11 must have a different IP address.
> Each must have the same SSID
> Each must be set for ad hoc mode
> Each must be on the same channel
> May have to enable MAC cloning and set to auto.

Thanks for your reply :-

Each was set to a different IP in the same sub net.
Each retained the default SSID i.e linksys
Each ad hoc.
Each on channel 6 (have tried 3 and 11 too)
Tried with MAC cloning on and off.

The host machines were also in the same subnet but with different IPs.

Still no response. Should also mention that I have tried several
different units and combinations of units.

Any more ideas?

TIA

>Each WEP11 must have a different IP address.

Not true. The IP is used for configuration purposes only. They can all
be the same, or all be in seperate subnets. WLAN will work regardles.

/Jan

"Jan Bachman" <jamen@davs.du> wrote in message
> >Each WEP11 must have a different IP address.
>
> Not true. The IP is used for configuration purposes only. They can all
> be the same, or all be in seperate subnets. WLAN will work regardles.
>
> /Jan
This is true, but not a good network design, and I dont encourage it so I
preach it

Jan Bachman wrote:
>>Each WEP11 must have a different IP address.
>

> Not true. The IP is used for configuration purposes only. They can all
> be the same, or all be in seperate subnets. WLAN will work regardles.
>
> /Jan
Sadly WLAN will not work at all

>Sadly WLAN will not work at all

Tough luck.

How about the LAN-connection? Are the WETs properly connected? Is the
green LAN-light on? How about personal firewalls on the PCs

/Jan

Airhead wrote:

> "Jan Bachman" <jamen@davs.du> wrote in message
>
>>>Each WEP11 must have a different IP address.
>>
>>Not true. The IP is used for configuration purposes only. They can all
>>be the same, or all be in seperate subnets. WLAN will work regardles.
>>
>>/Jan
>
> This is true, but not a good network design, and I dont encourage it so I
> preach it

Agree with what both of you say, but as I mentioned in my first post the
wet11s seem to be either broadcasting or picking up spurious MAC
addresses so its hard to see how the can work in ad hoc mode. Or am I
missing something?

Jan Bachman wrote:

>>Sadly WLAN will not work at all
>

> Tough luck.
>
> How about the LAN-connection? Are the WETs properly connected? Is the
> green LAN-light on? How about personal firewalls on the PCs
>
> /Jan
Lan connection is ok. Personal firewalls deactivated. Don't think it can
be a lan problem as they will work perfectly well in infrastructure mode
using a Buffalo AirSytion as an AP. BTW the Buffalo was switched off
during the tests in ad hoc mode.

Colin

> Airhead wrote:
>
> > "Jan Bachman" <jamen@davs.du> wrote in message

> >>Not true. The IP is used for configuration purposes only. They can all
> >>be the same, or all be in seperate subnets. WLAN will work regardles.
> >>
> >>/Jan
> >
> > This is true, but not a good network design, and I dont encourage it so
> > preach it
> >

> Agree with what both of you say, but as I mentioned in my first post the
> wet11s seem to be either broadcasting or picking up spurious MAC
> addresses so its hard to see how the can work in ad hoc mode. Or am I
> missing something?

Can you explain the spuriious Macs. Are they valid macs? What do you have
these wet11s connected to?

Airhead wrote:

> Can you explain the spuriious Macs. Are they valid macs? What do you have
> these wet11s connected to?

They are certainly not in the range assigned to cisco/linksys nor any
traceable manufacturer. They seem to vary with each site survey.

Examples are : 02:00:F7:A0:C7:86
02:00:F4:A5:01:89

etc.

The real Macs are in the Linksys range i.e. 00:0F:66:xx:xx:xx

Currently attaching them directly to the host m/cs. Have also tried
attaching to hubs/switches.

Thanks for your input.

> Airhead wrote:
> >
> > Can you explain the spuriious Macs. Are they valid macs? What do
you have
> > these wet11s connected to?
> >

> They are certainly not in the range assigned to cisco/linksys nor
any
> traceable manufacturer. They seem to vary with each site survey.
>
> Examples are : 02:00:F7:A0:C7:86
> 02:00:F4:A5:01:89
>
> etc.
>
> The real Macs are in the Linksys range i.e. 00:0F:66:xx:xx:xx
>

> Currently attaching them directly to the host m/cs. Have also tried
> attaching to hubs/switches.
>
> Thanks for your input.

The Macs above are actually BSSIDs, In infrastructure mode the BSSID
is the MAC of the AP, In AD HOC it is
a random generated value. So this is normal. It is a station looking
for someone to connect to. Im not sure on
all the details of how AD HOC works but at least you know this is
normal and can go on to step X.

How many of these are you tryng to get to talk to each other> In AD
HOC mode I beleive the max is 9.

Have you tried simplifying it to just a couple devices on a bench?

Are the ethernet adapters configed for half duplex? duplex? 10mbs or
100mbs only? or auto detect?

Airhead wrote:

> The Macs above are actually BSSIDs, In infrastructure mode the BSSID
> is the MAC of the AP, In AD HOC it is
> a random generated value. So this is normal. It is a station looking
> for someone to connect to. Im not sure on
> all the details of how AD HOC works but at least you know this is
> normal and can go on to step X.
>
> How many of these are you tryng to get to talk to each other> In AD
> HOC mode I beleive the max is 9.
>
> Have you tried simplifying it to just a couple devices on a bench?
>
> Are the ethernet adapters configed for half duplex? duplex? 10mbs or
> 100mbs only? or auto detect?

Airhead - just come in after an evening out. Will answer your questions
tomorrow when I may be able to say something sensible. BSSID? new one on
me - what is this exactly?

Thanks again for your help.

Airhead wrote:

> How many of these are you tryng to get to talk to each other> In AD
> HOC mode I beleive the max is 9.
>
> Have you tried simplifying it to just a couple devices on a bench?
>
> Are the ethernet adapters configed for half duplex? duplex? 10mbs or
> 100mbs only? or auto detect?

Hi,

Brain roughly in gear again now.

I'm simply trying to connect two for the moment.

Where do I check the ethernet settings. I'm using bog standard NICs and
would assume they are on auto detect

Airhead wrote:

> Are the ethernet adapters configed for half duplex? duplex? 10mbs or
> 100mbs only? or auto detect?

When I said my brain was in gear I'd still forgotten to engage it. I've
now tried in 10 full 10 half and auto but no change.

> Airhead wrote:
> >
> > Are the ethernet adapters configed for half duplex? duplex? 10mbs
or
> > 100mbs only? or auto detect?
> >

> When I said my brain was in gear I'd still forgotten to engage it.
I've
> now tried in 10 full 10 half and auto but no change.

You are using straight thru cable right, not crossover,
also the switch on the bridge is set for straight thru.

Jot down the exact config of each of the 2 WETs and post them...
Something is screwy........
What operating systems are on the PCs?
Do they have Firewalls?

Airhead wrote:

> "crb" <cb@removethisbitprojectcomputers.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Airhead wrote:
>>
> Jot down the exact config of each of the 2 WETs and post them...
> Something is screwy........
> What operating systems are on the PCs?
> Do they have Firewalls?

Config as follows -

Firmware 2.08 March 03 2004

Mac 00:0F:66:C9:93:E8 00:0F:66:C9:93:E5
Device name WET11 WET111
Static IP 192.168.1.225 192.168.1.226
Sub Net 255.255.255.0 255.255.255.0
Gateway 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 (also tried IP of
other WET and default settings)
SSID linksys linksys
Network Ad Hoc Ad Hoc
Channel 6 6 (also tried 1, 3, 11 etc)
WEP Disabled Disabled (also tried Enabled)
Transmission Auto Auto (also tried 1)
Authentication Open system Open system
Cloning Disabled Disabled (also tried on)

Operating systems tried XP, Hp Home and W2K

Firewalls disabled on both m/cs

Thanks again for your input

TRENDING THREADS