Recommendations?!

Hi everyone,

I recently posted a message regarding setting up a wireless network which i
had a good response to and am now pretty clear in what i need.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a Wireless
Router?, I'd like one to support 802.11g at the moment the cable modem is
upstairs and the computer that will be attached is going downstairs and i
don't want to recable!
It's only a small 3 bedroom house so 802.11g router maybe a little overkill
but i may want to add further devices at a later date.

Netgear seem to be a good choice, but having looked around some of the
D-Link and Belkin and Linksys seem to offer the same but seem cheaper? Is
that because they're not as good?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about recommendations

    "Matt Jenkins (Personal)" <matt.jenkins@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:1dhud.743$Uw1.306@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I recently posted a message regarding setting up a wireless network
    which i
    > had a good response to and am now pretty clear in what i need.
    >
    > I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a
    Wireless
    > Router?, I'd like one to support 802.11g at the moment the cable
    modem is
    > upstairs and the computer that will be attached is going downstairs
    and i
    > don't want to recable!
    > It's only a small 3 bedroom house so 802.11g router maybe a little
    overkill
    > but i may want to add further devices at a later date.
    >
    > Netgear seem to be a good choice, but having looked around some of
    the
    > D-Link and Belkin and Linksys seem to offer the same but seem
    cheaper? Is
    > that because they're not as good?
    >
    > Thanks

    Never owned a netgear, but I have tried both Dlink and Linksys and
    have had good
    performance but seem to be partial to the Linksys wrt54g, I also like
    the fact that it has removable
    antennas in case I wanted to install a different gain. My preferred
    setup is just a wired router with
    an Access Point attached such as my WAP54g. It is much more flexible
    for future needs because
    it can act as an AP, Bridge, Repeater or an AP client where as most
    all in ones only function as an AP.

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:08:13 GMT, "Matt Jenkins \(Personal\)"
    <matt.jenkins@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I recently posted a message regarding setting up a wireless network which i
    >had a good response to and am now pretty clear in what i need.
    >
    >I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a Wireless
    >Router?, I'd like one to support 802.11g at the moment the cable modem is
    >upstairs and the computer that will be attached is going downstairs and i
    >don't want to recable!
    >It's only a small 3 bedroom house so 802.11g router maybe a little overkill
    >but i may want to add further devices at a later date.
    >
    >Netgear seem to be a good choice, but having looked around some of the
    >D-Link and Belkin and Linksys seem to offer the same but seem cheaper? Is
    >that because they're not as good?
    >
    >Thanks

    I have a 3Com wireless router (3crwe754g72-a) in our 4 bed semi. I
    have hooked up the kids PC and my PC to it and we access a 1meg ADSL
    line.

    It supports 802.11g and has a built in ADSL modem and firewall

    I have been very pleased with it so far (4 months) and it sits up in
    the back of the house and gives strong reception up to 3 houses down.

    Took me 10 mins to get started and a week later I tightened the
    security (WPA, MAC Addressing). It includes the ability to see logs of
    errors, ADSL status and many other bits and bobs.

    I got a deal from Dabs (this router and a 3Com Wireless USB thingy)
    all for £68 (this includes VAT)

    Ebuyer ran the same promo too. Dont know if its still available
    though.

    HTH

    Harry

Wireless Networking