Recommendations?!

Hi everyone,

I recently posted a message regarding setting up a wireless network which i
had a good response to and am now pretty clear in what i need.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a Wireless
Router?, I'd like one to support 802.11g at the moment the cable modem is
upstairs and the computer that will be attached is going downstairs and i
don't want to recable!
It's only a small 3 bedroom house so 802.11g router maybe a little overkill
but i may want to add further devices at a later date.

Netgear seem to be a good choice, but having looked around some of the
D-Link and Belkin and Linksys seem to offer the same but seem cheaper? Is
that because they're not as good?

Thanks

"Matt Jenkins (Personal)" <matt.jenkins@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
message news:1dhud.743$Uw1.306@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently posted a message regarding setting up a wireless network
which i
> had a good response to and am now pretty clear in what i need.
>
> I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a
Wireless
> Router?, I'd like one to support 802.11g at the moment the cable
modem is
> upstairs and the computer that will be attached is going downstairs
and i
> don't want to recable!
> It's only a small 3 bedroom house so 802.11g router maybe a little
overkill
> but i may want to add further devices at a later date.
>
> Netgear seem to be a good choice, but having looked around some of
the
> D-Link and Belkin and Linksys seem to offer the same but seem
cheaper? Is
> that because they're not as good?
>
> Thanks

Never owned a netgear, but I have tried both Dlink and Linksys and
have had good
performance but seem to be partial to the Linksys wrt54g, I also like
the fact that it has removable
antennas in case I wanted to install a different gain. My preferred
setup is just a wired router with
an Access Point attached such as my WAP54g. It is much more flexible
for future needs because
it can act as an AP, Bridge, Repeater or an AP client where as most
all in ones only function as an AP.

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 13:08:13 GMT, "Matt Jenkins \(Personal\)"
<matt.jenkins@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>I recently posted a message regarding setting up a wireless network which i
>had a good response to and am now pretty clear in what i need.
>
>I'm just wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for a Wireless
>Router?, I'd like one to support 802.11g at the moment the cable modem is
>upstairs and the computer that will be attached is going downstairs and i
>don't want to recable!
>It's only a small 3 bedroom house so 802.11g router maybe a little overkill
>but i may want to add further devices at a later date.
>
>Netgear seem to be a good choice, but having looked around some of the
>D-Link and Belkin and Linksys seem to offer the same but seem cheaper? Is
>that because they're not as good?
>
>Thanks

I have a 3Com wireless router (3crwe754g72-a) in our 4 bed semi. I
have hooked up the kids PC and my PC to it and we access a 1meg ADSL
line.

It supports 802.11g and has a built in ADSL modem and firewall

I have been very pleased with it so far (4 months) and it sits up in
the back of the house and gives strong reception up to 3 houses down.

Took me 10 mins to get started and a week later I tightened the
security (WPA, MAC Addressing). It includes the ability to see logs of
errors, ADSL status and many other bits and bobs.

I got a deal from Dabs (this router and a 3Com Wireless USB thingy)
all for £68 (this includes VAT)

Ebuyer ran the same promo too. Dont know if its still available
though.

HTH

Harry