A few Oblivion questions

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
First of all good taste with the game :)

Now on to your questions: the Elder Scrolls is a series. Oblivion is the fourth installment of that series. Each game in the series is set in the same universe, with the same lore and basic premise, but with a different plot and in a different "age". You don't need any of the other games to play Oblivion because each game in the series is semi-standalone (though the expert will recognise a lot of references to previous The Elder Scrolls (TES) games.)

As for that computer, you should be ok. You won't get maximum settings unless you're using a smaller screen, but it will at least play. However if you could squeeze out a bit more money, try to get the AMD Phenom II x4 925 Quad Core CPU, as it's got a special price at the moment, and will also be better for your overall gaming. If you can also upgrade your GPU to an AMD 6850 1GB, you'll be flying.

Even if you just do a few weekend jobs at the local restaurant or in the newsagents, you could probably get an extra $200 by October, or if you have parents helping you out, you could agree to pay them back if they forwarded you the money. I got a job to pay for my computer, and went from getting a $900 PC to a $2000 PC, so I can tell you that it's well worth the hours of work :)

Good luck! :)

-Nih

dai_katana

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Nihilis already mentioned this already, but Oblivion is the fourth game released under the Elder Scrolls title. The first was released in 1994 (Arena) and the second in 1996 (daggerfall). Both of these games are now available for free download from their elderscrolls site. As for the others, the third game was released in 2002 (Morrowind) and the fourth game (Oblivion) was released in 2006. All of the names I mentioned here are standalone games and do not require you to have played the other to play, as they are all based on different eras (as Nihilis pointed out). However, if you are interested, you can download the now free titles and get an idea on the storyline- this will also help with some of the ideas that have carried on through each of the games and the references that Nihilis mentioned.

The computer you posted meets the minimum requirements of the game (Oblivion); however as he pointed out, having a faster processor and a better graphics card could help you achieve higher resolutions and increase your eyecandy, i.ie visual enhancement. Once you get the game and play for a while, you can also try out the various mods that have been developed for the game (or even make one yourself if you are interested in that sort of thing) to keep you busy for a long time to come...

G

Thank you.

The person who helped me find and pick out the computer told me that AMD was releasing something new by october and that the prices would go down and i could invest in better GPU and CPU. Also im pretty much use to playing on low qualit. We just moved to TN about 2-3 months ago so finding a job might be a little hard :|

Thanks,

~Austin~

G

Thank you, I will indeed play the first since from what you said it reminds me of fable. (i have F1-3) some things like Theressa follow from the first to 3rd game.

Thanks,

~Austin~

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

Bulldozer CPUs. However there is some speculation as to how good they'll actually be, so I would be careful before basing your whole plan around them taking off and lowering the market prices radically, as they may not. Why AMD in particular may I ask? Intel Sandy Bridge is currently the ideal gaming CPU (i5 2500k) with a reasonable price and absolutely terrific performance. Furthermore, early-mid 2012 they'll release Ivy Bridge which'll feature (supposedly) 20% CPU performance increase compared to Sandy Bridge, which is currently the market leader (and which even Bulldozer may not manage to knock off its perch)

You're getting the PC, and then straight away going to switch out the CPU and GPU? I would wait for a little longer and spend less to get what you actually want, rather than waste the money buying something for the sake of the "now" that you'll soon be switching out (not to mention that switching parts will most likely void any and all warranty you pay for.)

If you and your friend are competent, you could build a computer yourselves for a lot less cost, buying parts from www.newegg.com and assembling it yourselves. You'd be able to afford a better PC this way.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you choose :)

-Nih

G

"It shouldn't really matter. The Trendnet adapters support the secure connections from those phone company provided modems so it shouldn't be a big deal. Also, Trendnet adapters support 64-bit Windows 7. If you're going to wait at least a month and a half though then you should probably wait till late September early October. AMDs Bulldozer will be out by then and AMDs new GPU lineup should be out by then as well. If nothing else that PC should come in a little cheaper by then and perhaps you can pick a slightly better CPU and GPU."

Online friend, he helped me find it through the forums. also my budget was 500-600$ which is why he told me to wait until its out to buy the computer.

There was another computer he rcommended: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227314&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=om9u9ckdbal7

Thanks,

~Austin~

~oh and my grandma and i watched a TuT on building computers (im 16) and she said she didn't want me building my own comp, and tbh i don't want to screw anything up, and since school is starting soon i won't have the time or energy :p~

Have all but the first Elder Scrolls, Oblivion I still play to this day,....awaiting my pre-order for Skyrim....

The good thing about Elder Scrolls is it makes up for Bethesda's unforgivable Fall Out 3 title.....worst experience of my life.

And to the OP's Question,.....lol if you can't run Oblivion on full detail with that rig, know that end of days is coming.