Sign in with
Your question
Solved

FPS Issues

Last response: in Video Games
July 18, 2011 4:57:09 AM

Hi I just got a brand new computer from Sager, a custom laptop company. It's equipped with an i7-2630QM, 8GB of 1600 MHz RAM, an ATI Radeon HD 6970M 2GB, and a 7200 RPM HDD.

So I bought the computer so that I could do gaming on the go. For the first 10 days or so (it got here on July 5th) it worked beautifully. It played Starcraft 2 on Ultra at 50 FPS (100 on High), Call of Duty MW2 on highest at great FPS (doesn't have an ingame checker) and played Minecraft on highest settings at an absurd 120 FPS.

But then all of sudden it changed a few days ago, SC2 went down to about 30 FPS (60 on High), Call of Duty got choppy on both multiplayer and single player, and Minecraft went down to 50 FPS or lower and all games periodically (every minute or so) where the FPS dramatically drops to 5-10 for a few seconds! I didn't change computer settings as far as I know, and the power settings are on high performance.

I haven't called the technical support yet because they are only open on weekdays, but does anyone have any idea what's going on? It seriously lost a huge amount of power. It runs everything else well (tv shows, excel, IE) but its a little slow on startup, and is choppy for the first minute or two (maybe unrelated).

Please help!

More about : fps issues

July 18, 2011 9:27:13 AM

It can be due to virus problem just check your system properly with any new antivirus and even you can try to restore your system to the date when everything was working fine.
m
l
July 18, 2011 11:33:48 AM

the only times i have had this issue with these games on my desktop is when i have been running at 2.66/stock. i bump the cpu to 3.2ghz and the issues dissipate.

so my guess is your cpu is throttling due to heat.
run the games with realtemp, cpu-z and gpu-z in the backround... to check your temps and speeds

you may find that the cpu is getting to 3.5 or there abouts then throttling down to 2.9ish and then jumping back up again...
this is often the case with hispec low quality laptops...
my guess is that they short changed you on cooling as 10 days is a bit quick for dust build up unless you have been using it in bed... even then if the cooler is reacting to the tiniest bit of dust it means they have put the smallest cooler on they could get away with.

you could try lifting the laptop off the table with a book at each corner to let a little more air under it. if this fixes the issue then it really is down to the cooler and it will need to be replaced if you want your laptop to last more than a few months.

also as above said check for malware 2...
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 18, 2011 11:37:39 AM

1. Make sure your system and drivers are all updated. Make sure the games in question are also fully patched.

2. Run spyware, virus and malware scans. Some foreign body could be causing these issues.

3. Defragment your drives. They may be heavily fragmented, which will slow down performance, though it's unlikely after such a short time.

4. If that doesn't work, download HW Monitor and tell us what temperatures your PC reaches whilst gaming. Heat throttling could be a cause of your problem, likely due to a dodgy fan.

Don't system restore unless you can help it, as it can compound problems. It doesn't deal with the problem in essence, it just skips back to before it was manifesting. Generally it's better to deal with a problem than run away :)  However obviously if you can't then you'll have little choice but to try a system restore.

-Nih
July 18, 2011 3:19:07 PM

Agree with all the others. Perform a full system scan, to check if you had picked up any malware or virus. See if you're card's overheating. Download HWMonitor to check the temps of both CPU and GPU. I don't think system restore is going to work, unless its a malware of some sort. But as everyone else suggested, try that too.
m
l
July 19, 2011 10:24:26 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys. I called Sager and they're going to have me send the computer back to look at it, they think it's a hardware problem. And they said don't update drivers (because it was working and then before any new drivers it stopped working).

2. I ran avast and it found nothing, I don't think it's virus problem.

3. It's a brand new computer, according to the computer it's 0 percent fragmented

4. It runs at about 45 degrees celsius. I don't think it's a problem with the heat (although it could be something else hardware, not sure)

Anyway I think the manufacturer will take care of it either by fixing or replacing parts but thank you!
m
l
July 19, 2011 10:58:49 PM

Glad to hear it's getting sorted. If they refuse to help come back and we'll try to pinpoint the issue for you.

Good luck :) 

-Nih
m
l
July 20, 2011 11:09:08 AM

Try a 3rd party tool for defragmenting the hard drive. I found the disk defragmenter in Windows 7 a bit too bad. Use Auslogics Disk Defragmenter. Does the CPU or GPU run at 45 degrees ?
m
l
July 30, 2011 9:12:58 PM

It's at the manufacturer now, so not sure if they are able to fix. I'll be sure to come to you guys if it doesn't help.

Generally it runs at pretty low temperatures: ~40 degrees until several hours of running then it starts to go into the 45,50,55 range. But I have FPS problems immediately after starting so I doubt it's a fan thing (but maybe overheating did damage to the GPU, I have no idea)
m
l
August 9, 2011 9:47:57 PM

Best answer selected by yogiebere.
m
l
August 9, 2011 9:49:03 PM

Ok the manufacturer found no hardware problems (they ran tests and stuff) so they did a system restore cus that was pretty much the only software often left. If it's still underperforming they said they would replace GPU or whatnot (I got a great warranty)
m
l
!