Best DDR board for Audio Workstation

Jules48

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2001
Hi

I've just spent 4 days trying to configure a new Tyan Thunder K7 and Athlon 1.2GHz MP to run as a Win98/ME system and finally given up. From my experience this combination is simply not happening (maybe I was stupid to try) due to no driver support, unresolvable IRQ conflicts, blue screens and general horror stories all round.

In fact my supplier has told me that Tyan are about to put a warning on their site to the effect that the Thiunder K7 is effectively Win2K only.

So I was wondering if anyone here could recommend the best (read best featured and most reliable) DDR Athlon board - i.e AMD761 or Via KT266 or perhaps even the SiS735 chipset. On board SCSI and LAN are a bonus but not absolutely imperative. More than 2 DIMM slots would also be welcome.

Otherwise, performance (particularly PCI bus) is critical. It'll be paired with a 1.4GHz 266FSB CPU and used as a digital audio workstation in our studio.

Many thanks in advance for any help - I always seem to end up here when I've just had a computer nightmare!

Jules
http://www.trailermen.com

PS. Please don't suggest running Win2K - I'd love to, but none of my audio app's or drivers would run.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the oly one i now of right that has 3 slots is th ga-7dxr but has all ide raid and stuff like that butis is spose to be stable
the onlyother problem is that it has a built in sound card that you are pay for that you don't need

if you go over 512 mb in windows you run into an error

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire=</font color=red> A lot of fun :smile: :smile: :smile:

G

Best DDR mobo for audio workstation? If you can wait till late August or maybe September, there are gonna be new mobos based on the nForce chipset. The integrated audio that nForce has beats all existing sound cards hands down. It's really a whole audio multi-processor. It can even do Dolby 5.1 <b>encoding</b> (not just decoding) in real time.

Leo

igottaknife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wouldn't use 98 as a workstation OS at all. I think the bad choice wasn't the Mobo but rather the OS. Win2K is the way to go in video/audio editing.

Your Signature Sucks