ASUS A7A266 A7M266 A7N266 Motherboard Differences?

JonathanF

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001
ASUS A7V133, or ASUS A7M266, or the ASUS A7A266 DDR Motherboards?

Which one will work better for an AMD Athlon Axia 1.33 266 FSB CPU?

All of these boards support the 200/266 FSB, and the ASUS A7A266 Supports DDR Memory.

Is the ASUS A7M266 Motheboard Outdated now? Are they still making them?

From what I read the most stable now is the ASUS A7V133 that still uses the PC-133 SDRAM.

Does the ASUS A7V133 definitely support the 266 FSB?

Should I wait for the new ASUS A7N266 that used the NVIDIA Chipset?

Jonathan

ASUS A7V133, or ASUS A7M266, or ASUS A7A266 DDR Motherboards?

All of these boards support the 200/266 FSB, and the ASUS A7A266 Supports DDR Memory.

From what I read the most stable now is the ASUS A7V133 that still uses the PC-133 SDRAM.

Should I wait for the new ASUS A7N266 that uses the NVIDIA Chipset?

Jonathan

G

Yes, definitely.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by shiznit on 06/24/01 01:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

They will all work fine.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

Outdated? Maybe.
But then again, people say that the AMD chipset is better than the 'newer' A7A using the Ali Chip. Im not sure if they are still produced. But if you can get your hands on one, I'd suggest getting it instead of the A7A.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>

G

Should I wait for the new ASUS A7N266 that used the NVIDIA Chipset?
It really dependds on your needs.
If you need a computer now, you cant go wrong with the A7V733. If you want DDR support, go with the A7M266.

If your not in dire need of a new computer now, just wait and see how the nForce performs. You can make your decision then.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, I kind of go against the tide on this, but I highly recommend the A7A over the others because it has the SUPERIOR ALi southbridge (along with an ALi northbridge). VIA has a very poor quality southbridge, and the rest of the boards use it. The AMD 761 northbridge is the best currently available, but it is alwasy tied to a crappy southbridge. The ALi chipset is much more reliable and has not yet shown any compatability issues with PCI cards. It is also extrememly stable when used with good BIOS, which, in the case of the A7A, is version 1.004. It looses 1-3% in performance compared to the A7M, but I think that is a worthwhile sacrifice for stability/compatability. It is also the ONLY motherboard from the list to support BOTH SDR and DDR SDRAM.
I can't compare it to the A7N because that one is not yet in production.

My advice is, if you need a computer right now, go for the A7A266. If you don't need it yet, wait until this fall to find out how well the new ones like the A7N do.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine