Time to upgrade Abit BH6 - Suggestions Plz!

G

Greetings all!
I have decided it's time for my Abit BH6 system to retire. Originally, I had the famous BH6 & Celeron 300A @ 450, then upgraded a year or so back to a Celeron 2 550 @ 850. What a great mobo - however I picked up an ASUS V8200 Deluxe video card (to replace my aging Canopus Spectra 2500 16 mb TNT) and realized the BH6 mobo only supports AGP 2x. I am on a bit of a budget (the video card killed me) but would like some suggestions for a new mobo/cpu/ram setup. I am leaning towards an AMD Athlon 1.13 GHz 133/266 and 256 mb of DDR ram. I have no idea which mobo to get. Any commentary on the pros/cons of Rambus vs. DDR & AMD vs. Intel is welcome! Do u think I made a wise choice with the Asus Geforce 3 video card? I have heard a new version is coming out in a month? Should I return the card and wait for it?
Thanks in advance!

Hardware Junkie

G

Stay with Intel, you will be glad you did. The mb depends on the processor PIII or P4. Most folks seem to be leaning towards the PIII 133fsb with SDRAM, 815E series chipset, ASUS CUSL-2 if you want to overclock or the Intel D815EPFV or D815EEA2 if you are more concerned with stability.

If speed is your thing, then why not give the T-Bird a whirl, you may have to do some more tweaking, bios flashing, and driver downloads, not to mention various incompatabilities and fatal error messages. What the hell, it will be an experience and a ton of fun!

By the way, would you be interested in selling your BH6?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I answered this in your other post-just upgrade to a Pentium II 1GHz of a PIII700@933. YOu already have a good motherboard, and AGP2x at89MHz (133FSB) gives about the same performance as AGP4x at 66 (standard setting). Plus even the PIII 700 outperforms the Celeron 850, I did a comparison on my own machine. So a 700@933 would be a HUGE improvement, and a 1GHz PIII even greater.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

wmunn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
i agree here. yesterday i just popped in a PIII 750E slot one processor and cranked the fsb up to 124mhz and it works fine. 930MHZ with no problems at all. works great.
I guess I can now wait a bit longer before I need to buy a new board, maybe by then 2.5ghz will be the new standard? HEHE