Maxed out gaming

Blake330

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
Hi, I am about to build a new PC to take on games like metro 2033, BF3, Crysis 2, and Skyrim. My goal with this PC is to completely max out the graphics, dx11(which I'm aware Skyrim will only partially support), with AA and such maxed out at 1920x1020.
So the question is will a Radeon HD 6970 be able to tackle these games without any problem, or should I spend an extra $150(roughly) for the 580?

Solution
Maxxing out games now is all very well, but what about when future releases require more juice?

I always suggest getting the best you can afford - that way you're covered for longer. The better your gear now, the longer it'll stay competitive for, and the easier it'll be to upgrade around it.

If you can afford the 580 and all the requirements it'll pose, then why the hell not? You won't necessarily notice a massive difference between that and the 6970 now, but what about next year, or the year after? Buying the best you can increases your rig's endurance - it'll keep tackling coming releases for a longer time, and it'll be longer before you have to upgrade again to stay on top/ahead of the curve.

For that res though, if...

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Maxxing out games now is all very well, but what about when future releases require more juice?

I always suggest getting the best you can afford - that way you're covered for longer. The better your gear now, the longer it'll stay competitive for, and the easier it'll be to upgrade around it.

If you can afford the 580 and all the requirements it'll pose, then why the hell not? You won't necessarily notice a massive difference between that and the 6970 now, but what about next year, or the year after? Buying the best you can increases your rig's endurance - it'll keep tackling coming releases for a longer time, and it'll be longer before you have to upgrade again to stay on top/ahead of the curve.

For that res though, if price is a consideration at all, a GTX 570 or similar equivalent will do excellently, or you could consider SLI 460s or SLI 6850 for great performance, or SLI 560Ti's which are more or less on par with the GTX 580, for a slightly lower cost.

Use this article as a guide:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review-32225-5.html

Also don't assume it's just the GPU that will tackle the games :) You'll need other components to be strong as well, not just the GPU.

Good luck.

-Nih

Solution

Blake330

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I appreciate the advice, and I agree whole heartedly, which is why I've never joined the ATI(Now AMD) or Nvidia camps, same with intel and AMD... But thats beside the point.

I am getting a single GPU because I plan on getting a second next summer which is why I was trying to decide between the 580 and the 6970 for current games, the second will push my PC enough for the up coming releases.

With the point you're making, I think I will lean towards the 580... two of those in SLI cream the 6970 Crossfired...

Thanks

Maxing out is overrated, and a frivolous attempt as in six months the rig is run of the mill.

If you have dosh by all means, otherwise it is about future proofing as much as possible and making head with it.

If benchmarking is your thing, spend big and get the results,...if you a casual joe soap like me playing Crysis on Gamer with a Core2Duo then yeah don't waste money on trivial things.