Mass Effect 2 and Alpha Protocol ???

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
So I have a question here. These 2 games are almost exactly the same when it comes to interface leveling and gameplay where thay made by the same people? Mass Effet is Bioware and I know AP was Sega so who is the link? The things these 2 games share are crazy> I played AP first and liked it though it had its problems. Then kept hearing how great ME2 was and when I started playing it I thought I was playing AP2 set really far in the future lol. ME2 does seem to grab my attention a bit more but I find it hard to believe that 2 games that have this much in common could have reviews that are so far apart? Whats that all about?

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Mass Effect 2 just has immense scope. I haven't played AP, but I rarely stumble upon a gem such as ME2. It may not have the best gameplay in the world, but the story, dialogue and deep, rich atmosphere are what really makes ME2 stand out for a lot of people :)

-Nih

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Between the 2 games do you know of any publisher or developer working on both. Its just crazy how much they both look like each other.

easymark26

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
well Obsidian actually developed Alpha Protocol (Sega published it), Obsidian has worked with Bioware before on Neverwinter Nights 2 and KOTOR 2.
Never played Alpha Protocol, the reviews ripped it apart.
Played and loved the first ME and I cant stop being obsessed by the characters and story.

the same Obsidian that also developed Fallout: New Vegas.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

I know nothing of the staffing between the two games, sorry :(

A lot of companies copy each others' UIs. Most MMORPGs use WoW's style of UI and menus for example (makes you wonder who Blizzard ripped it off from.)

However if the games were too similar, I'm sure there'd be some sort of law suit eventually.

But you're right - it's often spooky how similar games can be to each other.

-Nih

Alpha Protocol was developed by Obsidian.

BioWare had a relationship with Interplay's Black Isle Studios developing the Baldur's Gate series and IceWind Dale series games starting back in 1997. Eventually Black Isle Studios (BIS) shut down in 2002/2003 and Interplay got into financial trouble. Some team members of BIS decided to form Obsidian Entertainment.

BioWare created Star Wars: The Old Republic and Neverwinter Nights. However, they eventually decided to work on their own intellectual property games (like Dragon Age and Mass Effects). BioWare recommended that Obsidian should be the studio to work on the sequels of those two mentioned games based on their pre-existing relationship back with BIS.

That explains why the two games have many similarities.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

Thanks for the info :). Seems obsidian did some UI recycling here as they look like the same game with diff stories lol

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011

I was simply pointing out that the UI and the whole leveling system and all of that looks like they are from the same game. Thats all. Also the whole hacking and bypassing and all of that as well.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

*Boom*

Headshot.