wasabi91

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
I just recently decided to try and record with fraps. I've been bouncing bewteen different recorder types but their seems to always be issues(wegame playclaw etc) Im trying to come back to fraps but i think my system may have a bottleneck. When i record on fraps i play various games. Wow with ultra graphics while maintaining around 80-100 fps in non crowded areas. Its seems like no matter how low i record fraps on fullscreen half screen 30 fps or 60fps i stillget really unsmooth recordings. I have pretty nice specs so im not sure whats causing it. I have a feeling its my HDD but im not sure. (the reason i think this is because it uses "green" technology so i would just assume it must suffer perfomance loss)

My specs
AMD phenom II x4 965 3.4Ghz
Corsair-Vengeance 4GB DDR3
ASUS AMD socket AM3 790x/SB750
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB
WDC WD15EARS-00MVWB0 1.5TB HDD
Corsair TX650W
Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit

Not sure if i left out anything.

to get the best from fraps you need to turn vsync on ingame and record at either 30 or 60 fps in fraps... if you get more than 60 minimum when vsync is off, then turn it on and record at 60. if you get less than 60 with vsync off, then turn it on and record at 30fps...

for best image quality, record at full size. if your upping the file to youtube or similar use halfsize, that way when you come to compress the images you get the best quality, for what ever playback method your using.

you may want to update your o.s to win7 from vista... your system will thank you for it with higher performance as a whole.

Everything what hexit said is true, however,

what's the RPM on that HDD? Typically if you're running the game and fraps on the same HDD fraps will have issues cause it's dumping huge amounts of data all the time and it will be squeezed out of the hdd time when your game needs HDD access.
best solution is to get another HDD and set fraps to record to the HDD other than OS HDD