266 MHz FSB

G

I have a FIC ad11 MB w/ 2 banks of 256 MB DDR, w/ an AMD 1.33 GHz. The board is supposed to handle 266 MHz FSB but in the MB docs it only has a diagram for a jumper to change the FSB from 100 to 133.How can I make sure the system is running @ 266? Also on this board which voltage value settings should I choose to overclock the CPU to, say, 1.5 GHz?

FatBurger

Illustrious
100=200
133=266

Basically, the bus speed is the rate at which the AC current is travelling across the motherboard. Therefore, your processor, RAM, ISA, PCI and AGP all run together (more on that later :). Your 266 chip is ACTUALLY running at 133. The difference between that and a PIII is that the T-bird executes twice every clock cycle. The clock is still ticking 133 times every cycle, but the CPU just executes twice instead of once. Does that make sense?

Now, that said, your ISA, PCI, AGP and RAM do not run exactly the same speed as your processor. In your case (since you're using DDR), your RAM is. I have SDRAM, so it runs at half the bus. Your ISA (if you had any), PCI and AGP all run at a ratio of that. So, if your FSB is 133, your PCI slots will run at 39? megahertz (someone else jump in who knows the exact numbers).

Basically, setting it at 133 is the same as setting it at 266.

Oh, almost forgot your last question. Voltage is moved up so that your chip will run more stable. When it crashes, but the temperature isn't too high yet, bump up the voltage. Higher voltage means greater heat, so be careful. At 1.5, your voltage should be around 1.85, I believe.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by FatBurger on 06/25/01 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Hey, Thanks for you time! I will try bumping up my voltage through the mobo settings and see what happens! I am not afraid.