Oblivion keeps crashing

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I played elder scrolls IV Oblivion for many hours straight with absolutely no problem, now all of a sudden, the game keeps crashing every few minutes or so. If you try to go into your inventory, change your spells, the game crashes back into desktop and a window pops up saying "this program has stopped responding".

This is very disappointing.....

I know of issues with mods and not using the correct Script Extender.exe....Other issues I had was which was fixed by the Bowreach mod where drawing out certain weapons or spells will lead to crashes and BSOD.

Contact the Bethesda Softworks official site, visit the Oblivion sub forum and post the problem there,.....I will say they can diagnose and help fix any problem with Oblivion or Fall Out.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
It sounds to me either like a script error (mod related perhaps as Sar said), a simple bug (Oblivion has lots - you can fix many by downloading the Unofficial Oblivion Patch from TESNexus which fixes a lot of in game bugs) or it could be a corrupted save.

Check that the game is fully patched. Check that your drivers are all up to date. If the problem persists install the Unofficial Oblivion Patch from the website I directed you to above.

If that doesn't fix the issue, the save may have become corrupted - try starting a new game and seeing if the issue still occurs. If not, then the problem has become centred around that save, and you'll have to start a new game or load a save game before the issue was manifesting.

Hope that helps,

-Nih

The Unofficial Patch is the best fall back plan.

One of the only frustrating things about the greatest game of the first decade of this millenium will be the fact that saves where easily corrupted, you pillage, plunder your way, power levelling to Level 60 then you get the corrupted save.....what a let down.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

You can get to level 60 in Oblivion?

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
you can lvl to lvl 60 without mods, and quite easily in fact ;)
higher lvls are possible but that needs planning

+1 for the unofficial patch, and use lots of different saves (and save a lot, running around for an hour without autosave can be a real moodkiller when it finally crashes...)

Personally I have 3 saves with differant character classes, 48, 37, 26, the latter being pure power levelling with +5 for all levels. I heard from the Bethesda site that after level 55 you are expected to have leveled up everything to 100 bar Luck which has a +1 indicator regardless, so effectively after 55 you should really not be leveling anymore, and any leveling is considered null and void.

The mods that I uses or refer to change Oblivions leveling experience completely so the Lvl 100 is the highest level attainable.

ambam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

I have the unofficial patch installed. It fixes over 1,800 bugs that the last official patch did not fix.

Anyway, I started a new game and I haven't had any problems. I think the save files may have gotten corrupted somehow.

Note: Oblivion looks a hell of a lot better on the PC than it did on the XBOX360/PS3

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

That's the most likely possibility to my mind.

Anyway, I'm glad that the problem is no longer an issue on the new saves. I wish I knew a way to repair the old corrupted ones, but I'm afraid my knowledge doesn't stretch that far.

-Nih

It involves converting the .BAK to the Save file replacing the other, .....thats the theory of it, I regularly make saves and place them in a back up folder. Corrupt save files are my bane.

Mar 26, 2018
I experienced the same problem a few days ago -- 70 hours of play with only 2 crashes, and now crashing every 10 minutes. What worked for me is to go back to a previous save, before the problems happened, and continue playing from there. Back to no more crashes now!