lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ah heck!
big problems.
the FREAKING VIA 4in1 drivers have nuked my burner! GRRRRR *1 angry hamster*
one day my burner stopped working.
i did some experimenting and... EVENTUALLY found
PRE Via 4in1 4.28, in my device list the cd-rom & the burner both show up as themselves. nothing else.
everything was fine.
I installed the 4.24 via 4in1 drivers from the asus CD supplied.
still no problems :)
a week or so later i install the later 4.28 drivers got from the asus website.
BOOM
it overwrites the 3 controllers, forgotten the name of em, maybe (primary, secondary and via bus master), turning them all to via
at the same time mysteriously turning both my hard drives, my sony 52x cd & ricoh 12x10x32x burner into SCSI named devices!
this doesnt seem to affect the sony 52x, but i suspect its the reason why i cant install many games recently on my HDD and DEFINATELY the reason why i can use my burner to read, but not write :(

the most annoying thing is i tried to remove the 4in1 drivers, yet the SCSI identification for my drives remains, even if i completely remove all software and device drives for the burner.
ugh.

any suggestions?
personally when i get home from work today its a big WIPE of the HDD and a fresh shiny copy of win2k. avoiding those 4in1 4.28 drivers like the plague!
(4.24 drivers were fine however... strange)

*This hamster has alot of work ahead for his poor little paws*

My Hamster has 512MB of SDRAM @ 150Mhz CAS 2!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
too late now. would cost alot more moolah to get a 266.
specially here in australia, they are still over 300 smackers!
besides.
im just gonna reinstall the 4.24 drivers and sit on them, and a new windows install while im at it. that always helps :)
maybe that will also cure my unrelated dialup problems :)
(alot of wishful thinking there) methinks the only way to fix dialup problems is to get DSL.

My Hamster has 512MB of SDRAM @ 150Mhz CAS 2!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
did you see this bullet from the VIA 4 in 1 FAQ:

Q:If I have not having any problems with my VIA chipset based motherboard. Should I update to the newest 4-in-1 drivers?

Do not update 4-in-1 drivers if your system is running trouble free.

Also, I've run into instances where I had to install 3 of the 4 and omit the IDE Busmaster component (due to instability). The latest and all the componenets are all available from <A HREF="http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1" target="_new">viahardware.com</A>.

Good luck.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Use any Via driver post 4.28. From 4.25-4.28, there is a bug with IDE drives. They'll start to show up as SCSI drives in your device manager as well. This was not fixed until 4.29, you can use the newer drivers without encountering the same problems.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

TRENDING THREADS