G

Ok, I’ve done some research, but I have one profound question that I don't think any one has given an answer to. Will the 850i chipset or whatever chipset your running an Intel PIV on be compatible with the next batch of chips that come out of Intel? Is this just a case of "lets change the chipset again so that all the computer geeks out there have to buy new motherboards again?" At the moment I'm debating weather to upgrade my lowly PII-350 to a PIII-something, however I could spend a little extra now if I knew that later on down the line my motherboard would be compatible with the new line of chips. Any one have the answer?

One last question: What is the highest you can go with the ASUS P3V133, according to the web site you can only go up to 733. I’m thinking they just haven’t updated the website in a long time, however if I’m not correct in this assumption, please someone kick me hard to wake me up.

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Unfortunately, the new Northwood Pentium 4 will be based on a .13 micron process that will make it much smaller and will use a different socket than the current P4. So, the 850 chipset won't support the newer Northwood Pentium 4's.

I think Intel's current plan is to take the current Pentium 4 design (codename Williamette I think) and push it to 2.0 or 2.2 GHz. But that's as far as the 850 chipset will go.

As far as the P3V133, that supports Coppermine Pentium III's, so you could go up to 1 GHz, if you could find a Slot 1 processor at that speed (they're getting hard to come by now). That might be a good idea, as you would upgrade your speed, and it wouldn't cost you very much. And then later on when all of these new products are out, you can decide on what to get.

Also, if you have a hard time finding Slot 1 processors, you could always use a Slotket Socket 370 to Slot 1 converter and put a Pentium III 1 GHz Socket processor in it.

Hope I haven't confused you too much...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

<A HREF="http://pcindex.co.uk" target="_new">http://pcindex.co.uk</A>
You can find slot 1 processors up to the 933EB here.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Depending on your motherboard, you can probably just upgrade the processor. If your motherboard supports a 133MHz bus speed at all (even using an overclock setting), you can use ANY PIII on it, provided it supports coppermines. I suggest the 700E at 933, using an Abit SlotketIII to adjust the detected voltage.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine