HELP! Motherboard INSANITY AAAAAHHH

thedotcomcompany

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2001
Im finally going to purchase my parts and build a new computer. Here is my first quesiton: would it be better to get a 266 FSB MB w/ 512mb DDR Ram or a 133 FSB MB with a gig of RAM.

Im going beyond crazy trying to decipher all the motherboard types. I am looking at the FIC AD11 or the AZ11E. Please give me advice. I want to be able to use generic ram. I DONT KNOW WHICH TO PICK. IM ABOUT TO GO INSANE . Everytime i get close to deciding, i read another article saying why one chipset is better than another.

I am a web developer and 2d and 3d grpahics developer, so that is the type of machine im building.
The main thing i want is RELIABILITY and STABILITY, the machine im on now is so unstable. I am going to put a 900-1.2 mhz tbird in the machine.

PLEASE help.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Motherboardless in Macon GA.

Jonathan Prisant
Http://www.thedotcomcompany.net
webadmin@thedotcomcompany.net

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I want to be able to use generic ram.
Bad decision. Spend more on the RAM (I'm partial to <A HREF="http://www.crucial.com" target="_new">Crucial</A>).

266 FSB MB w/ 512mb DDR Ram or a 133 FSB MB with a gig of RAM.
I'd go with the 512 DDR. Only reason you might 1G over 512MB is if you're doing massive DB work or intensive file server ops.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
512 of ram is plenty, also if you are planning on running windows 98, you may run into problems if you have more than 512. I used to have 512 of generic 133, I now have 256 of pc 150 cas2 corsair, and overall Now performs better, as mentioned, if you plan on having a LOT of BIG apps open, then more ram, to an extent is better, but IMO 256 is plenty, 512 even "plentier" lol

Next time you wave - use all your fingers