32 bit access

Hi

When my gigabyte 7IXE motherboard finishes its post and displays the information about what is in my system..

under hard drives it gives all the sectors info and how big the drive is and says that 32 bit access is not active, how do I activate this, the HD is a 20 gig seagate.

Thank You

Darren Edwards
5 answers Last reply
More about access
  1. 32bit access will or should activate if and when you format your host drive to 32bit instead of 16.
    This should happen if you use WIN98SE,WIN2000,WINME if not, then use partition magic or windows drive convertor to check the FAT.

On the Edge of Extremity
    Microsoft Registered OEM,DSP,MCP
    Custom Building of PC`s.
  2. it always has been formatted to fat32, thats what i cant understand!!
  3. Quote:
    32bit access will or should activate if and when you format your host drive to 32bit instead of 16

extremity, I'm inclinded to disagree. AFA I understand 32 bit access will occur when using windows drivers vs. DOS disk drivers (16 bit). Doesn't matter one way or the other what file system you're running FAT16 or FAT32

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
  4. ive used all the necessary drivers from the gigabyte cd when i built the machine and the other thing is, another machine that i have that is almost identical except for processor speed shows this mode as ON..........

how will i know if im using the dos/windows drivers?

Darren
  5. Quote:
    how will i know if im using the dos/windows drivers?

Control Panel -> System -> Performance (I'm assuming Win98)

To check if there is possibly some setting disabled for 32 bit access, do:

Control Panel -> System -> Performance -> File System -> Troubleshooting

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards