Looking for advice on most stable Athlon DDR MB

G

Everyone,

I have recently had some bad luck with an ECS K7VTA3 motherboard which uses the VIA KT266 chipset. I would like to switch this motherboard to something which is going to be as stable as possible.

The preconditions are that I have 266MHz DDR memory, a Geforce 3, and a SB Live. All of which have problems on certain AMD motherboards. The processor is a 1.333 MHz Athlon which I don't intend on overclocking.

Does anyone have a recomended motherboard which seems to work properly with the hardware I have mentioned or as close as possible?

Thanks for any help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Asus A7A266 with bios revision 1.004 is the most stable and cmpatable current board for your processor, it supports either DDR or SDR memory, using separate banks for each.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
I normally would recommend the K7-Master but some people are having problems with the GF3. I'm not sure if other DDR MB's are having problems or could I say it's the MB itself that is causing the problems. It may be the drivers. Just make sure you check into this first.

SERVO

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2001
Seems the guys at www.msihardware.com have solved the GF3 problem with the K7-Master. There's a temp fix to stop lockups in 3D apps. MSI has been notified.

G

Well I don't know if this will help as the MB I am using is a microATX board. I have the Aopen MK7A. I am running a 1.33ghz 266fsb with a geforce2 gts and swlive 5.1 and 256mb PC2100 with no problems, lockups or anything. I think right now though its the only DDR board Aopen has.

Personally though I do think Asus makes good boards..as long as you get the latest BIOS.

"<font color=blue>An illegal exception has occured! Press any key to reboot.</font color=blue>"