I think I'm in need of some help....

G

Hello there. I'm new to these boards but I wanna upgrade my comp. I'm gonna rip out the Mobo and the CPU and I've ordered an Asus CUV4X-C mobo and a PIII 1Ghz CPU. I then went to Asus's website and I saw this page......http://www.asus.com.tw/products/Techref/Cpu/p31g133.html

What the hell is all that about? Can i have jumper free mode with this CPU? Are they compatible? I'm a novice when it comes to fiddling around with Hardware. I've changed graphics cards, sound cards and hard drives before no problem but this is my first attempt at a mobo and CPU. Where do I stand with Jumpers? Does jumperfree literally mean jumper free? (in that case, what about the jumpers for my reset button, on/off button etc..) Could someone please give me some info on this so I don't crap myself on the day of their arrival?1 :cool:

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Jumperfree mode allows you to make settings via the bios (i.e. cpu frequency, multiplier, fsb, etc.). You'll still have pins for your on/off button, reset button, etc. Don't crap yourself; it takes away some of the fun of having a new rig! After all, if <i>I</i> can do it, so can you! Sounds like you have a bit more experience than me.
Good luck!

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Jumper Free, the best choice. You can't even change the multiplier on your processor, it's locked internally, so there is no point in setting the multiplier. Jumper free mode will detect the internall multiplier, and should set your bus speed to 133. Even the voltage is auto-detected. I don't know why they said to manually set it to 7.5x, but it shouldn't need the manual setting.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine