Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Dear Bethesda... - Page 3

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 1:53:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

In article <g63k72-jl5.ln1@mercury.tcm.vispa.net.uk>, not@chance.net
says...
>
> So maybe they need to extend the reality by being able to ask the NPC's
> friends and neighbours where they are? Or, as you imply, have them stay
> in one place.

So long as he wants to be found. If he doesn't, asking the wrong people
should probably cause hime to leave town, or send someone to attack you.
(But the latter might provide information, if you win.)

BTW, I like the names in Morrowind.

- Gerry Quinn
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 9:24:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Ikke wrote:

> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?

Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
March 7, 2005 1:42:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> Opticreep wrote:
> Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
> then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
> Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
> all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".

Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
Related resources
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:17:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 10:42:10 GMT, Ikke <ikke@hier.be> wrote:

>> Opticreep wrote:
>> Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
>> then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
>> Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
>> all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".
>
>Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?

You only have to watch their sitcoms to work that one out. Look at Joey for
god sake.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:18:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>Ikke wrote:
>
>> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>
>Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.

One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone come in
and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for them.
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 11:18:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:kldp21p19vekvkec45ho4n13lv7b9m8jnq@4ax.com...
> On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >
> >Ikke wrote:
> >
> >> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
> >
> >Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
>
> One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone come
in
> and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for them.

Or perhaps a comment as to why people who are not American find it so
fasionable to beat us down every day. The envy reeks from all the way
across the pond.
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 1:39:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:18:27 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>
>>Ikke wrote:
>>
>>> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>>
>>Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
>
>One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone come in
>and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for them.

So ?

If it wasn't for the Brits, they'd all be speaking French...

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
March 8, 2005 2:14:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:39:26 +0000, Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:18:27 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>Ikke wrote:
>>>
>>>> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>>>
>>>Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
>>
>>One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone come in
>>and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for them.
>
>So ?
>
>If it wasn't for the Brits, they'd all be speaking French...

Or Spanish, or both.
--
Nyctolops
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:36:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:29:16 -0600, "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com>
wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>news:kldp21p19vekvkec45ho4n13lv7b9m8jnq@4ax.com...
>> On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >Ikke wrote:
>> >
>> >> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>> >
>> >Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
>>
>> One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone come
>in
>> and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for them.
>
>Or perhaps a comment as to why people who are not American find it so
>fasionable to beat us down every day. The envy reeks from all the way
>across the pond.

Not envy at all i'm afraid. It seems that every other day now I see another
example on Sky News of why not to envy America, such as the shooting of that
Italian journalist and her rescuer by trigger happy troops.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:36:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:
>
> Not envy at all i'm afraid. It seems that every other day now I see another
> example on Sky News of why not to envy America, such as the shooting of that
> Italian journalist and her rescuer by trigger happy troops.

How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
dark that did not respond to their commands to stop. Having been
subjected to numerous suicide car bombing attempts, how could they be
expected to act any differently? Wouldn't you shoot if your life was
at stake?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:46:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:7p6s211d504b542od9jebrahn40gn46eve@4ax.com...
> >Or perhaps a comment as to why people who are not American find it so
> >fasionable to beat us down every day. The envy reeks from all the way
> >across the pond.
>
> Not envy at all i'm afraid. It seems that every other day now I see
another
> example on Sky News of why not to envy America, such as the shooting of
that
> Italian journalist and her rescuer by trigger happy troops.

Well then, you have a problem with *some* American troops. Do
you think anyone over here likes to hear such stories? Do you think we
root them on and say "ya!! that'll learn 'em!"??

That's just an excuse to bash America. None of us have anything to
do with some trigger happy troops. There are screwed up people in
every military on earth. There should be an investigation, and punishment,
if necessary. I don't know all the facts on this story. But it's nothing
more
than an excuse to continue America bashing.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 5:35:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> Spake Unto All:

>How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
>journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
>dark that did not respond to their commands to stop.

However... The troops had been told that a VIP would be traversing
that road, they weren't, according to the italians, behind a
roadblock, but fired from the side of the road, the vehicle was,
according to the italians, moving at the same speed as other vehicles
on the road, and there weren't, according to the italians, any warning
before the troops opened fire.

It's all really quite strange. It's a shame that we'll never know what
really happened.


--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
March 9, 2005 8:24:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in
news:112sd1u4fj12k0c@corp.supernews.com:

> Memnoch wrote:
>>
>> Not envy at all i'm afraid. It seems that every other day now I see
>> another example on Sky News of why not to envy America, such as the
>> shooting of that Italian journalist and her rescuer by trigger
>> happy troops.
>
> How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
> journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
> dark that did not respond to their commands to stop. Having been
> subjected to numerous suicide car bombing attempts, how could they
> be expected to act any differently? Wouldn't you shoot if your life
> was at stake?

After all the attacks on civilians, how could a car carrying foreigners
be expected to stop for a group of armed men standing in the street?

Also, how do you issue commands to someone in a fast moving car?
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:45:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Memnoch wrote:

> One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone
come in
> and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for
them.

I'm American... I just couldn't resist the opportunity. ;) 
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 9:48:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Mean_Chlorine wrote:
> Thusly Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
>>journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
>>dark that did not respond to their commands to stop.
>
> However... The troops had been told that a VIP would be traversing
> that road, they weren't, according to the italians, behind a
> roadblock, but fired from the side of the road, the vehicle was,
> according to the italians, moving at the same speed as other vehicles
> on the road, and there weren't, according to the italians, any warning
> before the troops opened fire.

All of which seems rather absurd. Consider:

Why did American troops decide to kill the Italians, or are you
suggesting they were ordered to kill them? How did they know exactly
which vehicle the Italians were in? If their intent was murder, why
didn't they finish the job and why did they leave any witnesses? The
incident displays all the earmarks of an accidental shooting. Were
they intentionally trying to kill the occupants of that car, it would
now be a smoking ruin and the corpses it contained would be nearly
unidentifiable.


> It's all really quite strange. It's a shame that we'll never know what
> really happened.

I don't find it strange or even out of the ordinary for the type of
war zone that Iraq has become. It seems like another suicide car
bombing takes place every single day. American check points have been
repeatedly attacked in that fashion. It's easy to see why the troops
might be a bit eager to shoot first and check later. I don't blame
them a bit.

I think the Italians were careless and are now looking for someone to
blame. The *first* thing out of that female journalist's mouth was:
'they were deliberately trying to kill me!' How would she know that?
The first public statement from her editor was: 'they were
deliberately trying to kill her!' How would he know that? Why would
that thought occur to either of them? Both of these people are avowed
Communists whose agenda includes discrediting anything and everything
American. The both immediately claimed that they "knew" what had
happened. Doesn't that suggest anything to you?

Perhaps (and I say perhaps!) it was the American troops were careless,
and fired needlessly. But given the mendacity of these particular
Italians, I think their testimony should be ignored.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:43:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:18:27 GMT, Memnoch
><memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>>Ikke wrote:
>>>
>>>> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>>>
>>>Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
>>
>>One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone come in
>>and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for them.
>
>So ?
>
>If it wasn't for the Brits, they'd all be speaking French...


If it wasn't for that obelisk, we'd all be speaking chimp. :) 
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:54:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> skrev i meddelelsen
news:9P2Xd.1525$Zm4.393@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

> Or perhaps a comment as to why people who are not American find it so

Hey! Shouldn't that have been "SOME people"? :-(

> fasionable to beat us down every day. The envy reeks from all the way
> across the pond.

There's a lot of socialists in Europe.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:53:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Edward Cowling wrote:
> "Opticreep" <opticreep@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:9e1f277e.0410280336.31d84096@posting.google.com...
>
>>Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
>>then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
>>Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
>>all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".
>>
>
>
> The people I had no problem with, but the Daedric shrines
> were/are a nightmare.
>
> Ahhh, I've found aaalllleeeggghhh shrine, but I've been sent to
> aaallleeejjjjhhh shrine........... arghhhhhhh :-)
>
>
>
LOL you said it.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:55:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Opticreep wrote:

> I do see why Behesda opted for the strange names, but I do not agree
> with them. They feel that by giving these NPCs strange names, we'll
> find ourselves more immersed in an exotic, unique environment.
> However, I think these names have become so ridiculously
> irrememberable, that it takes away from the game's immersion. Instead
> of simply thinking "Minsc wants to visit Humility Shrine" or "Shamino
> wants to go to Trinisc", I find myself thinking "The NPC with a
> screwed up name that starts with "vv" and ends with "yxl" wants me to
> go to a shrine whose name is somewhere along the lines of dsyraxola or
> dsyrxoltt or somesuch.


LOL I concur.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:57:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Leo wrote:

> 'You'll recognize a deadric shrine by the fact that is a long
> unpronouncable name'. Or some such.

Yeah, but IIRC, the same line describes them as being made of greeen
stone. :) 
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:59:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

sethra wrote:

> Back in the good 'ole days, the days of Heart of the Maelstrom, The Bard's
> Tale and the Quest of the Avatar, before the era of giga-whatsit-fast
> machines and automap, when we played our RPGs on 25 *mega*hertz 16-color
> coal-burning computers (electricity hadn't been invented yet!) when we
> came across somebody or something important,
>
> We
>
> *GASP*
>
> *Wrote* *It* *Down*

I still do, but then I forget where I left my notes.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:01:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Opticreep wrote:
> Julie d'Aubigny <kali.magdalene@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<4181D09E.7F826A36@comcast.net>...

>>I never had this problem, but while I played Morrowind twice, I
>>apparently didn't play the same game you did.
>>
>
>
> No, apparently you did not. The game plays quite differently when
> you're sitting in that high and mighty chair of yours.

Ooo BURN!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:02:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

sandtiger wrote:
> Xocyll wrote:
>
>> Maybe even more so, since unlike "John Smith" there probably aren't
>> several guys named "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal" in the same village/city.
>
>
> Well, there are in my town, but we took to callin' 'em "Big Deaxythol
> Arsthruoxal" and "Little Deaxythol Arsthruoxal."
>
LOL!
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:05:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Opticreep wrote:

> And yes, Julie, we all know that you can allegedly remember
> these names from Morrowind without looking up the spelling on a FAQ.
> We believe you. We'll take your word for it. But the rest of us
> mere mortals usually look up the spelling for most Morrowind names
> first, before typing it on usenet.

Gee, In my experience most people just approximate the spelling and hope
for the best.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:09:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Alan wrote:

> Then there are neighborhoods in the US with street names like Blackberry Ln, Blackberry
> Cir, Blackberry Pl, Blackberry Av, and Blackberry St all within a few blocks of each other.

Yes, and they are all in Connecticut. ::long sigh::
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:12:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Edward Cowling wrote:
> "Matthew Shaw" <matted@[REMOVETHIS]bigpond.net.au> wrote in message
> news:D i3hd.5341$K7.4848@news-server.bigpond.net.au...
>
>>But they have so many NPC's they can't possibly find normal names for
>>them all...
>>
>
>
> Ahh you mean unlike the 240 million people in the USA
> with (mostly) pronounceable names :-)
>
> Funny enough there is a guy at Molag Mar with a really plebby
> name like Bill Jones or similar. It made me do a double take.
>
>
>

My favorite NPC name is Edd (Fast Eddie) Theman, LOL
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:14:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Darrel Hoffman wrote:

> I could get behind that idea. Also, another suggestion is to do what a lot
> of other games do, and for any character who is unimportant, as in, not
> related to any quest, doesn't offer any services, doesn't give you any
> information you can't get from everyone else, etc., don't bother naming
> them. They got this partially right, by not naming all the Ordinators and
> other guards in the various cities, but there's still so many useless extras
> that they wasted the time to give names to that it does get a bit confusing.
> I mean, if I go into some random cave, and there's a bunch of bandits there
> that attack me and I kill them all, I don't need to know what their names
> were.

::high five!::
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 6:39:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen
news:1110379523.816083.230210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I'm American... I just couldn't resist the opportunity. ;) 

Well, give my regards on behalf myself and appr. 60% of the danish
population to your boys in Iraq and Afghanistan - they are doing a great
job - as are the guys from the danish brigades, situated near Basra.

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 8:36:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> skrev i meddelelsen
news:398le1F60654iU11@individual.net:

>> Then there are neighborhoods in the US with street names like
>> Blackberry Ln, Blackberry Cir, Blackberry Pl, Blackberry Av, and
>> Blackberry St all within a few blocks of each other.
> Yes, and they are all in Connecticut. ::long sigh::

Not in Kansas anymore? :-)

--
Arcana Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
d++e++N++T+++Om-KAWML!34567'!S'!8!9!u+uC+uF+++uG-u
LB®----uAnC+nH++nP+nI----nPT-nS+++nT----o---oE---xz
http://www.phyton.dk/games.htm
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:08:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in message
news:422ec7d8$0$199$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...
> "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> news:9P2Xd.1525$Zm4.393@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:
>
> > Or perhaps a comment as to why people who are not American find it so
>
> Hey! Shouldn't that have been "SOME people"? :-(

My bad :) 

> > fasionable to beat us down every day. The envy reeks from all the way
> > across the pond.
>
> There's a lot of socialists in Europe.

Indeed.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 10:10:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Arcana Dragon" <this@ress.is.invalid> wrote in message
news:422f18c1$0$306$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk...
> "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> skrev i meddelelsen
> news:1110379523.816083.230210@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>
> > I'm American... I just couldn't resist the opportunity. ;) 
>
> Well, give my regards on behalf myself and appr. 60% of the danish
> population to your boys in Iraq and Afghanistan - they are doing a great
> job - as are the guys from the danish brigades, situated near Basra.

Thanks for your support. It means alot to have people from other
countries come out and support what we are doing.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:10:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:35:16 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
>>journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
>>dark that did not respond to their commands to stop.
>
>However... The troops had been told that a VIP would be traversing
>that road, they weren't, according to the italians, behind a
>roadblock, but fired from the side of the road, the vehicle was,
>according to the italians, moving at the same speed as other vehicles
>on the road, and there weren't, according to the italians, any warning
>before the troops opened fire.
>
>It's all really quite strange. It's a shame that we'll never know what
>really happened.

The journalist in question made some comment about the Americans refusal to
pay ransoms to have hostages released, almost as if she was accusing them of
deliberately trying to kill them. This was of course labelled as "ludicrous"
by the top brass, but it does make you wonder why she made such an outrageous
claim.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:10:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Memnoch <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> looked up from
reading the entrails of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good,
the signs say:

>On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 02:35:16 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
><mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Thusly Briarroot <woodsyl@iwon.com> Spake Unto All:
>>
>>>How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
>>>journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
>>>dark that did not respond to their commands to stop.
>>
>>However... The troops had been told that a VIP would be traversing
>>that road, they weren't, according to the italians, behind a
>>roadblock, but fired from the side of the road, the vehicle was,
>>according to the italians, moving at the same speed as other vehicles
>>on the road, and there weren't, according to the italians, any warning
>>before the troops opened fire.
>>
>>It's all really quite strange. It's a shame that we'll never know what
>>really happened.
>
>The journalist in question made some comment about the Americans refusal to
>pay ransoms to have hostages released, almost as if she was accusing them of
>deliberately trying to kill them. This was of course labelled as "ludicrous"
>by the top brass, but it does make you wonder why she made such an outrageous
>claim.

Look at it this way.

American policy is not to pay ransom for hostages.
They don't want anyone else paying ransoms either.
Italian reporter was a hostage.
Released why? Almost certainly because a ransom was paid.
On her way to the airport her car is fired on by American troops.

Ergo, the Americans _obviously_ wanted to stop the success of a ransom
payment freeing a hostage and tried to kill her in a way that could be
deemed accidental.

That's the way the Italians seem to view it.

Xocyll
--
I don't particularly want you to FOAD, myself. You'll be more of
a cautionary example if you'll FO And Get Chronically, Incurably,
Painfully, Progressively, Expensively, Debilitatingly Ill. So
FOAGCIPPEDI. -- Mike Andrews responding to an idiot in asr
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:11:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On 9 Mar 2005 06:45:23 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>Memnoch wrote:
>
>> One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have someone
>come in
>> and boast that we would all be speaking German if it weren't for
>them.
>
>I'm American... I just couldn't resist the opportunity. ;) 

Well at least we would have been driving well built cars! :-)
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:04:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Ikke wrote:
>>Opticreep wrote:
>>Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
>>then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
>>Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
>>all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".
>
>
> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?

They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?
It does pay to acommodate one's customers, after all - lazy tho' they
may be. :) 
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:47:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Briarroot" <woodsyl@iwon.com> wrote in message
news:112sd1u4fj12k0c@corp.supernews.com
> Memnoch wrote:
>>
>> Not envy at all i'm afraid. It seems that every other day now I see
>> another example on Sky News of why not to envy America, such as the
>> shooting of that Italian journalist and her rescuer by trigger happy
>> troops.
>
> How absolutely ridiculous! Those troops didn't see "an Italian
> journalist," they saw an unidentified vehicle approaching them after
> dark that did not respond to their commands to stop. Having been
> subjected to numerous suicide car bombing attempts, how could they be
> expected to act any differently? Wouldn't you shoot if your life was
> at stake?

I have two nephews in Iraq. One in Mosul and one near Baghdad. Both
complain about their bases being mortared daily. There's a war going
on there, nobody likes it, and the people that are in it are trying to
survive while doing their duties.
I can't blame the people at the roadpost. I blame the people that
tried to run through it.
McG.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:48:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls (More info?)

":p hant" <phant@usagi.comix> wrote in message
news:6sdt21dsbj0o3pll7dn01ofevif2u1h5cm@4ax.com
> Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 20:18:27 GMT, Memnoch
>> <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On 7 Mar 2005 06:24:10 -0800, "Jesse Murphy" <murphyjm@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Ikke wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>>>>
>>>> Not special... Lowest common denominator and all.
>>>
>>> One or two more posts like this and in a minute you will have
>>> someone come in and boast that we would all be speaking German if
>>> it weren't for them.
>>
>> So ?
>>
>> If it wasn't for the Brits, they'd all be speaking French...
>
>
> If it wasn't for that obelisk, we'd all be speaking chimp. :) 

Good point, thanks for that!
McG.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 2:07:00 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> Spake Unto All:

>I can't blame the people at the roadpost. I blame the people that
>tried to run through it.

The national guard unit which did the shooting has been responsible
for a number of shootings of unarmed civilian iraqis at checkpoints,
and was just a couple of months ago under investigation for multiple
war crimes(!), but the charges were dropped due to lack of evidence.

The italian version, according to the surviving intelligence officer,
is that the car was travelling at 25mph, that the soldiers shone a
bright light at the car and opened fire almost immediately, and kept
firing for about 15 seconds.

I don't for a second think the shooting was intentional (if US
surveillance had picked up on and misinterpreted the release as
kidnappers moving the victim, they'd hardly send a national guard unit
to intercept).
But I also don't think one should be too quick to blame the driver.



--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:37:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:04:38 -0500, Duke Fenton <dukefenton@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>Ikke wrote:
>>>Opticreep wrote:
>>>Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
>>>then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
>>>Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
>>>all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".
>>
>>
>> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>
>They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?

Largest as it waist size or what? ;-)

>It does pay to acommodate one's customers, after all - lazy tho' they
>may be. :) 
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 9:39:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:hbp331tk286mle2qs3qiidetg7hu4p6e8q@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:04:38 -0500, Duke Fenton <dukefenton@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Ikke wrote:
> >>>Opticreep wrote:
> >>>Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
> >>>then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
> >>>Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
> >>>all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".
> >>
> >>
> >> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
> >
> >They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?
>
> Largest as it waist size or what? ;-)

Largest amount of real teeth still in their heads perhaps?
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 12:20:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

ToolPackinMama <laura@lauragoodwin.org> wrote:
>Darrel Hoffman wrote:
>
>> I could get behind that idea. Also, another suggestion is to do what a lot
>> of other games do, and for any character who is unimportant, as in, not
>> related to any quest, doesn't offer any services, doesn't give you any
>> information you can't get from everyone else, etc., don't bother naming
>> them. They got this partially right, by not naming all the Ordinators and
>> other guards in the various cities, but there's still so many useless extras
>> that they wasted the time to give names to that it does get a bit confusing.
>> I mean, if I go into some random cave, and there's a bunch of bandits there
>> that attack me and I kill them all, I don't need to know what their names
>> were.

Is there a mod that fixes this? Or removes useless conversation topics?
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

> >> I could get behind that idea. Also, another suggestion is to do what a
lot
> >> of other games do, and for any character who is unimportant, as in, not
> >> related to any quest, doesn't offer any services, doesn't give you any
> >> information you can't get from everyone else, etc., don't bother naming
> >> them. They got this partially right, by not naming all the Ordinators
and
> >> other guards in the various cities, but there's still so many useless
extras
> >> that they wasted the time to give names to that it does get a bit
confusing.
> >> I mean, if I go into some random cave, and there's a bunch of bandits
there
> >> that attack me and I kill them all, I don't need to know what their
names
> >> were.
>
> Is there a mod that fixes this? Or removes useless conversation topics?

I think I saw one that gets rid of *some* useless conversation topics. I'll
have to look up what it's called again. I do think it's a bit weird that
certain topics get added to EVERY NPC in the game, like "J'Saddha"...
Seriously, one escaped slave near Ald'ruhn is somehow world-famous? Other
universal topics make slightly more sense "Almalexia", "Solsthiem",
"Nevarine", etc. But there's some that just seem to get added for no good
reason whatsoever.

Here's some mods that do that, though they're not the ones I was thinking
of:

http://www.tesmods.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDo...
=viewsdownload&sid=71&min=40&orderby=titleA&show=10

All of the "LGNPC" mods on this page make dialogue more interesting for the
residents of their respective cities. So far, looks like only 6 cities are
done. I thought I saw one that removed generic dialogue from almost all the
NPCs, but I can't find it right now.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:24:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:39:09 GMT, "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com>
wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>news:hbp331tk286mle2qs3qiidetg7hu4p6e8q@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 02:04:38 -0500, Duke Fenton <dukefenton@adelphia.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Ikke wrote:
>> >>>Opticreep wrote:
>> >>>Here's a hint: If the name is unpronounceable by an adult American,
>> >>>then you should probably choose a simpler name. Frodo. Gandalf.
>> >>>Kulgan. Arthur. I'd even settle for a John Smith. But enough with
>> >>>all the "Deaxythol Arsthruoxal".
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> Why an adult American? What makes you people so special?
>> >
>> >They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?
>>
>> Largest as it waist size or what? ;-)
>
>Largest amount of real teeth still in their heads perhaps?

Oooh! Touchy!
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 3:24:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:7127311bdmspk12di08lgm0cc7tse0abuu@4ax.com...
> >> >They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?
> >>
> >> Largest as it waist size or what? ;-)
> >
> >Largest amount of real teeth still in their heads perhaps?
>
> Oooh! Touchy!

I'm touchy because one good zing at our culture was deserving of
another back at Europe's? I should have put a smiley.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:54:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:33:16 -0600, "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com>
wrote:

>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>news:7127311bdmspk12di08lgm0cc7tse0abuu@4ax.com...
>> >> >They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?
>> >>
>> >> Largest as it waist size or what? ;-)
>> >
>> >Largest amount of real teeth still in their heads perhaps?
>>
>> Oooh! Touchy!
>
>I'm touchy because one good zing at our culture was deserving of
>another back at Europe's? I should have put a smiley.

True but you don't really see much of a bad teeth epidemic in England, not how
other countries might describe it anyway.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 4:33:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:54:12 GMT, Memnoch
<memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 18:33:16 -0600, "Jim Vieira" <WhiplashrAT@wiDOT.rrDOT.com>
>wrote:
>
>>"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>>news:7127311bdmspk12di08lgm0cc7tse0abuu@4ax.com...
>>> >> >They're likely to be the largest market, maybe?
>>> >>
>>> >> Largest as it waist size or what? ;-)
>>> >
>>> >Largest amount of real teeth still in their heads perhaps?
>>>
>>> Oooh! Touchy!
>>
>>I'm touchy because one good zing at our culture was deserving of
>>another back at Europe's? I should have put a smiley.
>
>True but you don't really see much of a bad teeth epidemic in England, not how
>other countries might describe it anyway.

Plus I'd happily have the UK go up against Tennessee, and a lot of
Southern states, in terms of teeth care - when I was in Memphis I saw
some adults with less teeth than most 1 year olds.

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 8:18:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> Spake Unto All:

>>True but you don't really see much of a bad teeth epidemic in England, not how
>>other countries might describe it anyway.
>
>Plus I'd happily have the UK go up against Tennessee, and a lot of
>Southern states, in terms of teeth care - when I was in Memphis I saw
>some adults with less teeth than most 1 year olds.

True. Britains biggest problem, apart from the fact they speak funny,
is that the women are ugly.

(What? They are!)

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:38:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 17:18:23 +0100, Mean_Chlorine
<mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Thusly Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> Spake Unto All:
>
>>>True but you don't really see much of a bad teeth epidemic in England, not how
>>>other countries might describe it anyway.
>>
>>Plus I'd happily have the UK go up against Tennessee, and a lot of
>>Southern states, in terms of teeth care - when I was in Memphis I saw
>>some adults with less teeth than most 1 year olds.
>
>True. Britains biggest problem, apart from the fact they speak funny,
>is that the women are ugly.
>
>(What? They are!)

As opposed to some of the lovely 500lb+ ladies you have in the US ?
:) 

--

Bunnies aren't just cute like everybody supposes !
They got them hoppy legs and twitchy little noses !
And what's with all the carrots ?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway ?
Bunnies ! Bunnies ! It must be BUNNIES !
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:14:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.elder-scrolls,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

"Memnoch" <memnoch@nospampleaseimbritish.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:2aa831p5cjlpmtu9amckpauogrgo2pk4ai@4ax.com...
> >I'm touchy because one good zing at our culture was deserving of
> >another back at Europe's? I should have put a smiley.
>
> True but you don't really see much of a bad teeth epidemic in England, not
how
> other countries might describe it anyway.

Let's just call a truce, eh? I got defensive on behalf of my country
because of the stereotyping.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:57:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg (More info?)

Thusly Mark Morrison <drdpikeuk@aol.com> Spake Unto All:

>>True. Britains biggest problem, apart from the fact they speak funny,
>>is that the women are ugly.
>>
>>(What? They are!)
>
>As opposed to some of the lovely 500lb+ ladies you have in the US ?
>:) 

I think Sir Mix-A-Lot said it best, when he said:

"I like big butts and I can not lie
And you other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung!"


--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal
with european opposition to the war in Iraq. 2003.
!