Best Tri-Mode Non-Camera Phone?

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
November 9, 2004 8:48:30 AM

Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
on National plans?

More about : tri mode camera phone

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 10:15:36 AM

I really like my LG vx4400, which replaced my 7868 after I bent the
antenna for the 8,000th time... The LG 3200 is smaller, but appears to
work just as well.

Good luck!

In article <5pe1p01j0labiclqqp4up42p963v57a920@4ax.com>, Dick wrote:

> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> on National plans?
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:10:58 AM

I like the 3200, but it has no front display.

Gunther Larssen <larssengun@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I really like my LG vx4400, which replaced my 7868 after I bent the
> antenna for the 8,000th time... The LG 3200 is smaller, but
appears to
> work just as well.
>
> Good luck!
>
> In article <5pe1p01j0labiclqqp4up42p963v57a920@4ax.com>, Dick
wrote:

>> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
>> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more
modern
>> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that
works
>> on National plans?

Related resources
November 10, 2004 6:28:49 AM

Non-camera would be the Samsung a650. The LG VX440 is excellent but out of
production and difficult to locate.

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> on National plans?
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 7:29:39 PM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:48:30 -0700, Dick wrote:

> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> on National plans?

Moto T730 if you can find one.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 8:29:25 PM

"Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
| On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:48:30 -0700, Dick wrote:
|
| > Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
| > little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
| > phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
| > on National plans?
|
| Moto T730 if you can find one.

Easily obtained, as are T720s, on eBay - the T720 with the T730
firmware/software installed makes the two phones equal in performance, etc.
Works very well in my experience....

Unless you need/want the data capability and/or the GPS options, you'd be
well advised to stay with the STARTAC.....the best "phone" every made,
IMO......:)

PC
November 10, 2004 10:20:03 PM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:29:25 -0800, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
wrote:

>"Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>| On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:48:30 -0700, Dick wrote:
>|
>| > Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
>| > little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
>| > phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
>| > on National plans?
>|
>| Moto T730 if you can find one.
>
>Easily obtained, as are T720s, on eBay - the T720 with the T730
>firmware/software installed makes the two phones equal in performance, etc.
>Works very well in my experience....
>
>Unless you need/want the data capability and/or the GPS options, you'd be
>well advised to stay with the STARTAC.....the best "phone" every made,
>IMO......:)
>
>PC

I know the StarTac is a great phone, but I don't expect it to last
forever. It will also be needing a battery one of these days which
will probably cost as much as a new phone. I don't need data
capability, but I would like GPS capability.

Dick
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:15:14 AM

My wife and I had Startac 7868s for years and their batteries were not
holding their charges very well; we tried to get replacements locally and
couldn't and figured the time had come to lay them to rest.

We replaced them a number of months ago with the LG 3200 after doing some
research. We wanted a good functioning trimode without a camera like you
do. We also wanted talk dial and a built in speaker, which the LG 3200 has.
They have worked very well for us.

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

> "Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> | On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:48:30 -0700, Dick wrote:
> |
> | > Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> | > little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> | > phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> | > on National plans?
> |
> | Moto T730 if you can find one.
>
> Easily obtained, as are T720s, on eBay - the T720 with the T730
> firmware/software installed makes the two phones equal in performance,
> etc.
> Works very well in my experience....
>
> Unless you need/want the data capability and/or the GPS options, you'd be
> well advised to stay with the STARTAC.....the best "phone" every made,
> IMO......:)
>
> PC

Anonymous
November 11, 2004 2:17:12 AM

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> on National plans?

The Verizon outlets are now starting to stock the Nokia 6015i. I've
been using one for several weeks now, and so far so good. I wouldn't
recommend it for a noisy environment, unless you're willing to use the
speakerphone.

Richard Schulman (for email reply, remove the "-xyz" part)
November 11, 2004 10:36:43 AM

Admittedly I haven't compared it to many phones, but when comparing
with my daughter's Nokias (she always has the latest and greatest)
they have never outperformed the StarTac in fringe areas. Until
recently, I lived in a fringe area. Nearest cel about 20 miles
airline over a mountain. Fortunately, Verizon put a tower in near our
house a couple of weeks ago. We have also compared phones on I-15
between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. There are some really bad areas
and some dead spots. Again, the Nokias did not outperform the
StarTac. In some cases, the StarTac was better. As far as build
quality, the StarTac is built like a tank. Been dropped a couple of
times with no damage. Just because it was built in Singapore doesn't
mean it doesn't meet Motorola specifications. This 7868 was purchased
in Sept. 2000 and is actually using a battery from a 6500 StarTac
purchased in July 1999. I just think it is time to put the 7868 out
to pasture and try something newer.

Dick

On 11 Nov 2004 00:26:46 -0800, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

>Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<5pe1p01j0labiclqqp4up42p963v57a920@4ax.com>...
>> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
>> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
>> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
>> on National plans?
>
>I have a couple of Startacs. Used one for years. Overrated, chinese
>built.
>Look at the phones that existed concurrent with the Startac and you'll
>se why it was rated highly. It was the best at the time.
>My "modern" flip phones get better reception, in digital and analog.
>The only advantage is the 7868 vocoder doesn't have the ability to
>compress the voice even further in digital mode, like the new 1x
>handsets. The old Vocoder and the excellent speaker cup and volume
>keeps the 7868 Voice Quality high.

>-
>David
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 12:08:32 PM

| On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:29:25 -0800, "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org>
| wrote:
|

| >"Traveling Man" <none@none.com> wrote in message
| >| On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 05:48:30 -0700, Dick wrote:
| >|
> [...]
| >|
| >| Moto T730 if you can find one.
| >
| >Easily obtained, as are T720s, on eBay - the T720 with the T730
| >firmware/software installed makes the two phones equal in performance,
etc.
| >Works very well in my experience....
| >
| >Unless you need/want the data capability and/or the GPS options, you'd be
| >well advised to stay with the STARTAC.....the best "phone" every made,
| >IMO......:)
| >
| >PC
| >

| I know the StarTac is a great phone, but I don't expect it to last
| forever. It will also be needing a battery one of these days which
| will probably cost as much as a new phone. I don't need data
| capability, but I would like GPS capability.

Batteries are cheap and readily available on eBay - only a few dollars....

Personally, I'd buy a couple of StarTacs on eBay and maintain
"spares".....:)

PC
November 11, 2004 1:55:05 PM

"DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<RVfkd.6487$_J2.3226@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> Non-camera would be the Samsung a650. The LG VX440 is excellent but out of
> production and difficult to locate.
>
> "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> > Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> > little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> > phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> > on National plans?

I used two Startacs 7868 for two years before trading the last one in
for a LG VX4400 almost two years ago. The VX4400 is superior to the
Startac, IMHO, for holding a digital signal, loud incoming audio,
color screen, keypad, antenna, and intuitive menus. The only area
where the Startac outshines the VX4400 is in incoming audio quality
and even there the Startac edge is small.

Now that my three VX4400 batteries are beginning to wear down to the
point that I need to decide whether to replace them or buy a new
phone, I am seriously considering a new phone because the cost of an
extended battery for the VX4400 is as high as some of the new phones
that VZW is offering. I live and travel in areas that are well served
by CDMA and have rarely found it necessary to use AMPS, so I am
considering an all digital phone, as well as tri-modes. Right now, I
think the LG VX4600 meets my needs and it is priced competitively.
This phone is only offered online and not in the VXW stores. Anyone
have any experience with the VX4600?

Ed
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 1:58:50 PM

"Ed" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| "DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| > Non-camera would be the Samsung a650. The LG VX440 is excellent but out
of
| > production and difficult to locate.
| >
| > "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
| > > Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
| > > little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
| > > phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
| > > on National plans?
|
| I used two Startacs 7868 for two years before trading the last one in
| for a LG VX4400 almost two years ago. The VX4400 is superior to the
| Startac, IMHO, for holding a digital signal, loud incoming audio,
| color screen, keypad, antenna, and intuitive menus. The only area
| where the Startac outshines the VX4400 is in incoming audio quality
| and even there the Startac edge is small.
|
| Now that my three VX4400 batteries are beginning to wear down to the
| point that I need to decide whether to replace them or buy a new
| phone, I am seriously considering a new phone because the cost of an
| extended battery for the VX4400 is as high as some of the new phones
| that VZW is offering. I live and travel in areas that are well served
| by CDMA and have rarely found it necessary to use AMPS, so I am
| considering an all digital phone, as well as tri-modes. Right now, I
| think the LG VX4600 meets my needs and it is priced competitively.
| This phone is only offered online and not in the VXW stores. Anyone
| have any experience with the VX4600?

As I've mentioned before, batteries are readily available on eBay for
literally pennies compared to what you are asked to pay in the VZW
stores....I buy phones and all accessories from eBay sources - and save
hundreds of dollars.....!

Virtually any phone battery can be had for five or six bucks.....

The main point being that if your phone is fully satisfactory, don't let
battery issues cause you to buy "new" and pay more.......:)

PC

| Ed
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 4:40:56 PM

Tank? I'd say more of a soft shell crab. The 7868 holds up by flexing.
The plastic is actually gummy. Either way I agree it holds up to
drops.

I took my 7868's and charged the batteries last night. Voice quality
and volume are still very good. I miss the form factor.

Singapore..? I was thinking mainland china 40¢/hour sweat shops.

One point. Unless your daughter has the latest and greatest _Verizon_
Nokia, or the exact same carrier the 7868 uses, we are talking apples
and oranges as far as reception goes. Likely different towers and
technology.
The Verizon basic Nokia 3589i will outperform almost every other VZW
handset in digital mode. It's a clear standout among lot's of tested
phones. Analog is not so hot on this model though.

Whatever you get, do some comparisons with the startac and see what's
better or worse. I'd guess analog is one area many modern handsets
will fall behind. Unless an external antenna is used. Luckily, many
new phones still are able to use an external antenna for fringe areas.

-
David

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<0vs6p0db1rndsv611l30g4qe5k6mq0i1pp@4ax.com>...
> Admittedly I haven't compared it to many phones, but when comparing
> with my daughter's Nokias (she always has the latest and greatest)
> they have never outperformed the StarTac in fringe areas. Until
> recently, I lived in a fringe area. Nearest cel about 20 miles
> airline over a mountain. Fortunately, Verizon put a tower in near our
> house a couple of weeks ago. We have also compared phones on I-15
> between Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. There are some really bad areas
> and some dead spots. Again, the Nokias did not outperform the
> StarTac. In some cases, the StarTac was better. As far as build
> quality, the StarTac is built like a tank. Been dropped a couple of
> times with no damage. Just because it was built in Singapore doesn't
> mean it doesn't meet Motorola specifications. This 7868 was purchased
> in Sept. 2000 and is actually using a battery from a 6500 StarTac
> purchased in July 1999. I just think it is time to put the 7868 out
> to pasture and try something newer.
>
> Dick
>

> On 11 Nov 2004 00:26:46 -0800, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:
>
> >Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<5pe1p01j0labiclqqp4up42p963v57a920@4ax.com>...
> >> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> >> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> >> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> >> on National plans?
> >
> >I have a couple of Startacs. Used one for years. Overrated, chinese
> >built.
> >Look at the phones that existed concurrent with the Startac and you'll
> >se why it was rated highly. It was the best at the time.
> >My "modern" flip phones get better reception, in digital and analog.
> >The only advantage is the 7868 vocoder doesn't have the ability to
> >compress the voice even further in digital mode, like the new 1x
> >handsets. The old Vocoder and the excellent speaker cup and volume
> >keeps the 7868 Voice Quality high.
>
> >-
> >David
November 11, 2004 7:37:09 PM

Analog will be a must as I travel in many areas still using it.
Whichever phone I choose will have to be as good as a 7868 on analog.

Dick

On 11 Nov 2004 13:40:56 -0800, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

>Tank? I'd say more of a soft shell crab. The 7868 holds up by flexing.
>The plastic is actually gummy. Either way I agree it holds up to
>drops.
>
>I took my 7868's and charged the batteries last night. Voice quality
>and volume are still very good. I miss the form factor.
>
>Singapore..? I was thinking mainland china 40¢/hour sweat shops.
>
>One point. Unless your daughter has the latest and greatest _Verizon_
>Nokia, or the exact same carrier the 7868 uses, we are talking apples
>and oranges as far as reception goes. Likely different towers and
>technology.
>The Verizon basic Nokia 3589i will outperform almost every other VZW
>handset in digital mode. It's a clear standout among lot's of tested
>phones. Analog is not so hot on this model though.
>
>Whatever you get, do some comparisons with the startac and see what's
>better or worse. I'd guess analog is one area many modern handsets
>will fall behind. Unless an external antenna is used. Luckily, many
>new phones still are able to use an external antenna for fringe areas.
>
>-
>David
November 13, 2004 9:13:16 PM

>> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
>> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
>> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
>> on National plans?

I didn't want a camera either, but I wanted the best reception & voice
quality. Tried several non-camera tri-modes but kept going back to
the Startac.

Finally bought the Motorola V710 ... Tri-mode, great reception, great
voice quality and speakerphone. It has a camera (mediocre quality),
but as a phone, I found it to be best.
November 14, 2004 6:08:48 PM

Thanks. I am still partial to Motorola having been exposed to their
communication equipment since the 50's. One thing that really bothers
me about changing phones is that I now have both vehicles set up with
the Motorola speaker/phone, and the StarTac can be completely
programmed with a computer. I know others have this capability, but
it's just more expense on top of the phone and service cost. Not to
mention the holes in our vehicles where the power speakers are
mounted.

Dick

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:13:16 -0500, Jim <j@none.no> wrote:

>>> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
>>> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
>>> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
>>> on National plans?
>
>I didn't want a camera either, but I wanted the best reception & voice
>quality. Tried several non-camera tri-modes but kept going back to
>the Startac.
>
>Finally bought the Motorola V710 ... Tri-mode, great reception, great
>voice quality and speakerphone. It has a camera (mediocre quality),
>but as a phone, I found it to be best.

Anonymous
November 15, 2004 9:35:53 AM

Just did an eBay search for "startac t730" that came up with a bunch of OEM
car holders but no actual phones. I checked both current and "Completed
listings." I'm not even sure what these phones look like, but the model
numbers I should be looking for are T720 and T730, or is any Motorola flip
phone a Startac?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message

> "Traveling Man" wrote
>
> Easily obtained, as are T720s, on eBay - the T720 with the T730
> firmware/software installed makes the two phones equal in performance,
> etc.
> Works very well in my experience....
>
> Unless you need/want the data capability and/or the GPS options, you'd be
> well advised to stay with the STARTAC.....the best "phone" every made,
> IMO......:)
>
> PC
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:05:41 AM

Can and/or will Verizon configure any Startac 7868w I find on eBay (or
elsewhere) to function on the Verizon network?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Proconsul" wrote...

> Unless you need/want the data capability and/or the GPS options, you'd be
> well advised to stay with the STARTAC.....the best "phone" every made,
> IMO......:)
>
> PC
November 15, 2004 10:52:31 AM

The T720's and T730's are not StarTacs. Here is a StarTac.
http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...

Dick

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:35:53 -0800, "Peter Sale"
<psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote:

>Just did an eBay search for "startac t730" that came up with a bunch of OEM
>car holders but no actual phones. I checked both current and "Completed
>listings." I'm not even sure what these phones look like, but the model
>numbers I should be looking for are T720 and T730, or is any Motorola flip
>phone a Startac?
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 10:52:32 AM

Can and/or will Verizon configure any Startac 7868w I find on eBay (or
elsewhere) to function on the Verizon network?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote ...
> The T720's and T730's are not StarTacs. Here is a StarTac.
> http://commerce.motorola.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/Product...
>
> Dick
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 6:56:36 PM

Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<bklfp0p0ekaa9t163jmj4ao88u3t44qo9p@4ax.com>...
> Thanks. I am still partial to Motorola having been exposed to their
> communication equipment since the 50's. One thing that really bothers
> me about changing phones is that I now have both vehicles set up with
> the Motorola speaker/phone, and the StarTac can be completely
> programmed with a computer. I know others have this capability, but
> it's just more expense on top of the phone and service cost. Not to
> mention the holes in our vehicles where the power speakers are
> mounted.
>
> Dick

Well, Motorola is not what it use to be. QC is atrocious. There just
pumping these handsets out so fast, whuch I'm convinced is the primary
reason Verizon puts up with the problems.
Having said that, I might go for the V710, since it has excellent
basic functions like reception and sound. I'll likely wait untill
something "better" comes along and they put the 710 on sale.
Looks like a software nightmare, if one want's to master all the bells
and whistles. I could care less.

It's a real hassle and expense to swap out handsets, especially when
one has invested so much in accessories.
And then there's the whole new user interface to learn. Motorola
switched UI after the startac, so that's completely new too.

-
David
Anonymous
November 15, 2004 11:31:29 PM

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 06:35:53 -0800, Peter Sale wrote:

> ust did an eBay search for "startac t730" that came up with a bunch of OEM
> car holders but no actual phones. I checked both current and "Completed
> listings." I'm not even sure what these phones look like, but the model
> numbers I should be looking for are T720 and T730, or is any Motorola flip
> phone a Startac?

Just search for T720 or T730.
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 12:44:42 AM

Dick wrote:
> Although my Motorola 7868 has been a great phone, it is getting a
> little long of tooth. I would like to replace it with a more modern
> phone. What is today's top-of the-line, non-camera phone that works
> on National plans?

I picked up a Samsung A650 about a week ago (previous phones in order:
Moto V120E [JUNK] on vzw, Audiovox 9155GPX on vzw, AT&T Panasonic
Duramax [great phone, horrible service], and a Startac 3000 on GTE
Mobilenet [still work]). Checked out the current 'reasonably
inexpensive' (under $100) VZW phones and concluded this would be best.
The fringe AMPS performance is onpar with my startacs, and the digital
performance is better than any phone I've carried previously.

The battery also seems to outlast the v120e's by about 4x, dispite the
bright, crisp color screen (thats 100x less annoying than the INTENSE
BLUE backlight on the v120e)

JS
Anonymous
November 16, 2004 4:30:40 AM

David L wrote:

> Dick <LeadWinger> wrote in message news:<bklfp0p0ekaa9t163jmj4ao88u3t44qo9p@4ax.com>...
> > Thanks. I am still partial to Motorola having been exposed to their
> > communication equipment since the 50's. One thing that really bothers
> > me about changing phones is that I now have both vehicles set up with
> > the Motorola speaker/phone, and the StarTac can be completely
> > programmed with a computer. I know others have this capability, but
> > it's just more expense on top of the phone and service cost. Not to
> > mention the holes in our vehicles where the power speakers are
> > mounted.
> >
> > Dick
>
> Well, Motorola is not what it use to be. QC is atrocious. There just
> pumping these handsets out so fast, whuch I'm convinced is the primary
> reason Verizon puts up with the problems.
> Having said that, I might go for the V710, since it has excellent
> basic functions like reception and sound. I'll likely wait untill
> something "better" comes along and they put the 710 on sale.
> Looks like a software nightmare, if one want's to master all the bells
> and whistles. I could care less.
>
> It's a real hassle and expense to swap out handsets, especially when
> one has invested so much in accessories.
> And then there's the whole new user interface to learn. Motorola
> switched UI after the startac, so that's completely new too.
>
> -
> David

There is a new Motorola - V265 Tri mode, camera, voice dial, speaker
phone. Just got it. Will post back if have problems.

LB
November 26, 2004 12:40:30 PM

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message news:<KDOkd.98177$kz3.28577@fed1read02>...
> "Ed" <ednj2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | "DonR" <drennard@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> | > Non-camera would be the Samsung a650. The LG VX440 is excellent but out
> of
> | > production and difficult to locate.
> | >
> | > "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> |
> | I used two Startacs 7868 for two years before trading the last one in
> | for a LG VX4400 almost two years ago. The VX4400 is superior to the
> | Startac, IMHO, for holding a digital signal, loud incoming audio,
> | color screen, keypad, antenna, and intuitive menus. The only area
> | where the Startac outshines the VX4400 is in incoming audio quality
> | and even there the Startac edge is small.
> |
> | Now that my three VX4400 batteries are beginning to wear down to the
> | point that I need to decide whether to replace them or buy a new
> | phone, I am seriously considering a new phone because the cost of an
> | extended battery for the VX4400 is as high as some of the new phones
> | that VZW is offering. I live and travel in areas that are well served
> | by CDMA and have rarely found it necessary to use AMPS, so I am
> | considering an all digital phone, as well as tri-modes. Right now, I
> | think the LG VX4600 meets my needs and it is priced competitively.
> | This phone is only offered online and not in the VXW stores. Anyone
> | have any experience with the VX4600?
>
> As I've mentioned before, batteries are readily available on eBay for
> literally pennies compared to what you are asked to pay in the VZW
> stores....I buy phones and all accessories from eBay sources - and save
> hundreds of dollars.....!
>
> Virtually any phone battery can be had for five or six bucks.....
>
> The main point being that if your phone is fully satisfactory, don't let
> battery issues cause you to buy "new" and pay more.......:)
>
> PC

LiIon batteries priced at $5-$6 are usually non-OEM batteries that
often do not support the cell phone's battery level indicator with any
accuracy. I bought one of these "cheap" batteries for a cell phone
and had to return it for that reason. I eventually bought the Verizon
store's OEM battery which was expensive but which worked well and
lasted over a year.

I decided to replace my VX4400 with a VX4600 and I am very pleased
with the new cell phone. I got a good deal and I have noticed that
the VX4600 holds a digital signal better than the old VX4400. It's
also smaller and has a better screen that is visible without
backlighting. I found a website that has reasonably priced
accessories for the VX4600 and I will post again after I receive my
order from them.

Ed
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:40:52 PM

| "Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in message
|| >
| > Virtually any phone battery can be had for five or six bucks.....
| >
| > The main point being that if your phone is fully satisfactory, don't let
| > battery issues cause you to buy "new" and pay more.......:)
| >
| > PC
|
| LiIon batteries priced at $5-$6 are usually non-OEM batteries that
| often do not support the cell phone's battery level indicator with any
| accuracy. I bought one of these "cheap" batteries for a cell phone
| and had to return it for that reason. I eventually bought the Verizon
| store's OEM battery which was expensive but which worked well and
| lasted over a year.

I've bought several OEM batteries for different phones - they are easily
obtainable for ten bucks or less on eBay. Never had one fail or perform
badly. Most recently I've bought two batteries for Kyocera 7135 Smartphones
and they arrived with the Kyocera logo and they work just great.....paid
nine dollars each plus six bucks to ship both. I'll stick with 5-10 dollar
OEM batteries rather than pay 50-60 bucks, plus tax, for the very same thing
in a VZW store....

PC
!