all devices using IRQ 9 - help!

SKN

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
Hi - I just bought an ASUS cuv4x-c ( VIA 694x chipset/Apollo Pro 133a) for my P3-1000 and installed Win2K clean - updated to SP2 and installed the VIA 4in1 patch. All my PCI devices are using the same IRQ (9) and I cannot get some to use 10 or 11 aswell. This is causing some of the cards not to work. I guess because theres to many of them sharing the same IRQ - very strange. I have not seen this before at all - Anyone have any ideas please? I'm lost...

Thanks.

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
The IRQ sharing is a feature of Windows 2000. Sometimes it doesn't cause problems, but most of the time, it does.

What you want to do to keep Windows 2000 from using the same IRQ for half of the hardware is to disable ACPI. To do this, go to the Device Manager. Under the Computer category it should list an ACPI Computer. Go to properties on this, and click on Update Driver. Choose Select driver from list, and then have it show all devices of this type. From the list that it gives you, select Standard PC. Click Yes on the message that follows. It will reboot your system and re-recognize all of the hardware, assigning different IRQ's where available.

What you will also want to do is disable ACPI in the BIOS (if it has that setting). And set Plug and Play OS to NO in the BIOS. This will force the BIOS to select all of the IRQ's for the devices, and not allow Windows to assign its own.

You may also want to disable any devices that you may not use, such as COM ports. This will help free up IRQ's and ensure that you have everything working on it's own separate IRQ.

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

SKN

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
success!!!!!!!! thank you so much for taking some of your time to help me! wonderful - much appreciated : ) it worked!

SKN.

G

hehe... ya when I saw the W2K IRQ 9 dogpile the first time it freaked me out as well, although that is exactly the way it is supposed to be. the PNP OFF and "standard PC" advice is right on for the older mobos, I had the same probs on my old K7V slot A until I did that although I reccommend doing it via a clean install (hit F7 I think when install asks for any SCSI drivers). the good news is that the new mobos work just fine on a normal install and you don't need to worry about any of this. W2K ROCKS huh?

Later Jim

Yippie no more Via <font color=blue>crap</font color=blue>.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
the good news is that the new mobos work just fine on a normal install and you don't need to worry about any of this. W2K ROCKS huh?
Agreed. I'm running a KT7-RAID W2K Prof ACPI enabled. Got 4 cards besides Vid. and the IRQ sharing is solid. I would argue that the majority of ACPI IRQ sharing setups are stable, not the minority. I do agree that it doesn't work universally.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>