Games for Windows

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Hi everyone,

Please forgive my noobish question, I have just got back into PC gaming with ym last game being GTA Vice City haha.

So I put a pre-order down for Bat Man and Rage today and I saw on the box it said 'Games for Windows' with a little research myself does this mean that in order to save the game and to play online I need to download the Games for Windows client?

Because if that is the case I don't think I will purchase due to the fact I am on every client like Origins, Steam and now Games for Windows it would just scatter my brain and I would loose track of the game sI have etc - I only buy retail so I can look at there shiny cases :p

Thanks for any responses.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Umm...no? :p

Always the simplest that make you think the hardest, but I'm pretty certain that's not the case.

The "Games for Windows" merely means that the game is designed to be run on Windows operating systems, and may be buggy/not work at all on others.

So you should be more than ok :) Just make sure your PC meets each individual game's requirements :)

-Nih

Games for windows, no you will not have to do any such thing. Games for Windows LIVE yes you will. The key is the word LIVE on the case, it means you will be logging into an xbox live account to play and will receive achievements on your PC towards it.

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Thanks for responses I thought the forum was going to leave me hanging:

So just for a demo: http://www.game.co.uk/Games/PC-Games-and-Downloads/Shooter-First-Person/Rage/~r352757/?s=Rage

If I purchased Rage can I just put the disk in and play straight away or do I need to be logged into my Windows Live ID and have the client open etc?

Also can anyone just confirm what the difference is between Games for Windows and Games for WIndows Live?

Thanks for the help :)

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
FlintIron is right.

Providing your system specs are high enough to meet the game's requirements, you'll put the disk in, install it and then be able to play.

There'll be no need for additional clients.

Sorry for my original uncertainty but you threw me a bit for a moment :p :)

-Nih

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Great thansk for all the help everyone just want to double check as I am building ym first PC this week

AMD 1100T
8GB Ram

That is the main parts anyway - that should be okay for 60FPS - Max settings shouldn't it?

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
On most games, it should be ok so long as everything else is in order, but not necessarily 60 FPS.

No games use more than 3 cores (some use a bit of the 4th for sound) so your 6 core CPU is overkill (edit: ) if you're building it just for gaming. Also, check this review... http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/12/07/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1100t-review/8

I'm not trying to put you off by any means, but don't instantly assume that the most expensive is always the best :)

-Nih

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

I just want to say thanks for helping because I have asked these questions all week and I haven't gotten a clear response but your making it sound pretty clear.

I really want to run games at max settings - like fully max so I thought the 6990 could handle that. Im guessing you have a problem with the CPU? Should I scrap it and go for an i7? I didn't just pick the most expensive I am more familiar with the AMD parts and builds so that's why I picked it but quite a few people have been telling me that my build is good for the of medium gaming so right now I am kind of worried as I want to start my build during summer - in 3 weeks.

remember Nih, the 1100T has Turbo tech, that puts 3 cores in a low power state rendering them useless, then OC's the 3 remaining cores for pure processing power for gaming(3.7 i believe). With that said, an overclocked quad to 3.6-4.0 will render gains worthy of the 6990 without the added cost of the new 6 cores.

I would definitely go with the i5-2500k. Bang for buck its the best one out. just dont be OCing without upgrading to aftermarket cooling

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

This will probs be the last question I have since we are going off topic but what I was thinking is getting the 1100T and when Bulldozer comes out upgrading as I do have money set aside for that and my motherboard is ready for it as its the Sabertooth 990FX

Do you think its worth it or still should I get the i5?

The bulldozer is going to be 28-32 nm tech.... so the gains above intel wont be much, but the main draw of the new tech from AMD is when you get an ATI card, and an AMD cpu, they will share processes together to result in a better visual gaming experience. An i5 has raw power with the same projected specs that you should be very happy with for a few years.

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I might as well get the Bulldozer then since I am more knowledgeable on AMD builds and parts. I have thumbed up all your comments for helping me so thanks. Could I just add will I be able to go above 30FPS with AMD1100T/6990? I would of thought I could of but the link you gave me I search fro the 6990 there and the FPS was better on Battlefield than on Black Ops by quite a majority.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

That's exactly what I was angling towards :)

Great minds eh?

OP: I agree with Flintiron 100% in everything he's said. I didn't know about the 1100T turbo tech, but even so, it still doesn't appear to be the ideal CPU for you from my perspective :)

However, if that's what you want (and don't get me wrong, it's definitely a great CPU) then again, that's totally cool :) I can understand trepidation at venturing into unfamiliar territory with regards to AMD vs Intel, and I also appreciate it sounds like you've done a lot more planning than your first post or two initially divulged to me.

Good luck with your build :) I hope you enjoy.

-Nih

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011

Really you both have been so good to me with regards to helping! Thanks so much, I really can't wait since the load of Battlefield footage leaked today I just wanrt to start building now haha. Just one final final question - I might invest in a i7 but it depends on:

If I get a 1100T now, can I just take it out of the socket and replace with Bulldozer or do I need a new mobo since I will be getting the Sabertooth 990FX which is Bulldozer ready?

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011

If the bulldozer CPU uses the same socket type as the 1100T, then you should just be able to swap them out.

-Nih

TNTNTN

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Sweet! Thanks guys I will just get the 1100T and then upgrade to a Bulldozer - for some reason it won't let me thumb up anything but if there is a way I can ever help you guys just let me know. - I doubt I can though :(