HELP...socket-1adapters..

G

Hey friends, i was considering upgrading my pii 400, and since money is a factor, i was wondering if anyone has ever used the socket-1-adapter cards, and if they are any good, or should i just save up, and update my MB....problem is i have no patience, and want to do it right now...not into saving.....thanx for any help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You are speaking of Slot 1 to Socket 370 converters, a.k.a Slotkets, right? The best bang for the buck is the Abit SlotketIII avaible for $8 at Googlegear.com. It has onboard controll for voltage detection changes and bus speed detection changes, should you want to overclock. If you need one that can actually reduce input voltage on a system where lower voltages are not supported, Powerleap makes it, but it's considerably more expensive. Whether you can use a basic version or need one that can reduce voltage through onboard resistors depends on your motherboard. If your manufacturer says that the board supports a Coppermine or Celeron 2 processor, you can use the cheaper one.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

walkr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The ABIT Slokets converters gave me alot of trouble even with ABIT motherboards, could not get any support out of them and it was not just one it was like 20 of them, ver 1.0 was ok np, but ver 1.2 could not even install win2000 and 98 would just crash. ended up using asus ones and no more problem.

I love Intel and AMD... Yes I'm a slut...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you speaking of the original Slotket? Because I have never had a problem with the Slotket III, but know nothing of the previous versions, I think they made one for PPGA (not FC-PGA) processors a while back but I would have no use for those.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
Because I have never had a problem with the Slotket III

Ditto here. Crash recommended one for my PIII 700 in the Creative Blaster PC, and it runs rock solid at 933. Thanks Crash.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

G

um.......maybe i am getting the wrong impression from what i have been reading.....i want to be able to put like a 933 in my puter, and was wondering if this socket adapter will enable my pII MB to take the chip......does that make sense?? MB stuff is sort of new to me...thanx guys..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
"The best bang for the buck is the Abit SlotketIII avaible for $8 at Googlegear.com. It has onboard controll for voltage detection changes and bus speed detection changes, should you want to overclock. If you need one that can actually reduce input voltage on a system where lower voltages are not supported, Powerleap makes it, but it's considerably more expensive. Whether you can use a basic version or need one that can reduce voltage through onboard resistors depends on your motherboard. If your manufacturer says that the board supports a Coppermine or Celeron 2 processor, you can use the cheaper one."
That was your answer.
If you need us to figure out which one you need, please provide your motherboard make/model/revision.

G

ok.....awesome...you guys are great......so here is a stoopid question, is there a way to get that info, without opening my case, or looking for the papers, that we all lose weeks after buying a system?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Reboot your computer and give us the bios string from the bottom of the screen. You should be able to stop the computer from booting by pressing the pause key so you can read the string.

G

ok, here is what i got.........

Phoenix BIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
4m4pbox1.15a.0018.p09

thanx again for all the help!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OMG! Not PHOENIX! Ok, I'm calm, I'm calm, breathing now, breathing now. Phoenix is normally only supplied with OEm systems, maybe I should have ask you what it said on the case!

G

........scaring me friend.........is that bad??
system specs........
Gateway pII400mhz

bought from gateway about 2years agao, was a complete package...no deviations or anything...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Gateway used good motherboards in most of their systems. Most of their Intel systems used Intel motherboards. I looked up the part on Gateway and found this little tidbit:
"The 4000590 motherboard is a revision of part number 4000444. The purpose of this revision is to add support for Coppermine (CuMine) Pentium® III processors." Full details on the board can be found <A HREF="http://www.gateway.com/support/techdocs/references/motherboard/4m4pb0x1/4m4pb0x12.shtml#processor" target="_new">HERE</A>, and Intels manual can be downloaded by <A HREF="http://ftp://download.intel.com/design/motherbd/oem/69460501.pdf" target="_new">Clicking this link</A>.
Hopfully you have the 4000590 board that supports coppermines, then you can simply add a PIII 800E or 850E (the ones with the 100MHz bus), in which case you have a choice of using a Slot1 PIII or a Socket 370 PIII and Slotket. Because the Socket 370 with slotket gives you more options if you decide to put your new CPU on a different motherboard at a latter time, I usually go that rout.

G

ok....awesome, i dunno how you gathered all of that, but it sure seems correct.....
So knowing this, i believe that i would like to go with a 370, and the slotket adapter, and at least a pIII933, if not a gig......does that seem feasable?

so......what do i need exactly for this to happen?? ;-)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I gathered all that through the use of magik and sourcery. Your motherboard does not officially support 133MHz FSB, so a 933 would be out of the question. There are 900's available, and even 1000E's that run at 10x100, but beyond 800 your really reaching the point where the slow performance of memory at 100 makes a greater speed processor not function up to expectations. Besides, the 1000E is about 1/3 more expensive than the 1000EB (133), simply because it's a low production unit. I would go for the 800, maybe the 850. If you want to TRY to find out if the unofficial 133MHz FSB will work, you can test it out with any 133FSB processor (667, 733, 800EB, 933, 1000EB). Maybe you can borrow one?

G

naaa..........i dont have the $$ to be experimenting, 850 is good enough until i get a new system......so that ASUS adapter card is all i need then?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Since you can't overclock anyway, almost any FC-PGA slotket will work. You can get those at a local computer store. Just make sure that they are made for Coppermines (FC-PGA), not just old Celerons (PPGA). Any that work for 133MHz FSB are the right kind. Not that you will be running at 133, just that FC-PGA slotkets have the capability. So look for one of the following signs that it's the right kind: PIII compatable, Coppermine compatable, FC-PGA compatable, or 133MHz compatable, they are all the same specification.