Speed problem for wireless network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
December 10, 2004 5:26:41 PM

Hi,

My wireless network is running 802.11B on one laptop. Everything seems OK
until I start using the 5Ghz cordless phone. It still working but very slow
and even I put it right beside the SMC wireless router, the network
connection show it is connected at 1 Mbps.

Does the 5Ghz phone will affect the 802.11B ( which suppose is 2.4Ghz)
wireless network?

Thanks!
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 5:26:42 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:26:41 -0500, "Ray" <mapperkids@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>My wireless network is running 802.11B on one laptop. Everything seems OK
>until I start using the 5Ghz cordless phone. It still working but very slow
>and even I put it right beside the SMC wireless router, the network
>connection show it is connected at 1 Mbps.
>
>Does the 5Ghz phone will affect the 802.11B ( which suppose is 2.4Ghz)
>wireless network?

Any particular reason for not disclosing the model of cordless phone
or SMC router?

Several 5GHz cordless phones have the base unit transmit on 2.4GHz.
Such cross band devices also exist with 2.4/900MHz such as the
Panasonic Giga-Range. Your SMC is probably getting trashed only by
the 2.4Ghz from the base unit. If it's a frequency hopping spread
spectrum (FHSS) base, then moving to a different channel on the SMC
will not help.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 1:25:33 PM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:46:06 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:26:41 -0500, "Ray" <mapperkids@yahoo.com>
>wrote:
>
>>My wireless network is running 802.11B on one laptop. Everything seems OK
>>until I start using the 5Ghz cordless phone. It still working but very slow
>>and even I put it right beside the SMC wireless router, the network
>>connection show it is connected at 1 Mbps.
>>
>>Does the 5Ghz phone will affect the 802.11B ( which suppose is 2.4Ghz)
>>wireless network?

>Any particular reason for not disclosing the model of cordless phone
>or SMC router?
>
>Several 5GHz cordless phones have the base unit transmit on 2.4GHz.
>Such cross band devices also exist with 2.4/900MHz such as the
>Panasonic Giga-Range. Your SMC is probably getting trashed only by
>the 2.4Ghz from the base unit. If it's a frequency hopping spread
>spectrum (FHSS) base, then moving to a different channel on the SMC
>will not help.

Well, I screwed up slightly.

The Panasonic GigaRange Extreme base unit transits on 2.4Ghz and
receives on 900MHz.

Phones that use Atmel dualband chipsets have the base unit transmits
on 5.6GHz and receives on 2.4GHz. Therefore, it's the handsets that
are causing the 2.4GHz interference, not the base unit as I claimed.
http://www.eeproductcenter.com/printableArticle.jhtml?p...

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Related resources
December 11, 2004 9:38:53 PM

The cordless phone that I'm using is UNIDEN TCX800 and I can't find anywhere
in the spec saying about 2.4Ghz. All it say just 5.8Ghz handset.

Does anyone use this phone with 802.11B wireless network?

Thanks!

> On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:46:06 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
> <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:26:41 -0500, "Ray" <mapperkids@yahoo.com>
> >wrote:
> >
> >>My wireless network is running 802.11B on one laptop. Everything seems
OK
> >>until I start using the 5Ghz cordless phone. It still working but very
slow
> >>and even I put it right beside the SMC wireless router, the network
> >>connection show it is connected at 1 Mbps.
> >>
> >>Does the 5Ghz phone will affect the 802.11B ( which suppose is 2.4Ghz)
> >>wireless network?
>
> >Any particular reason for not disclosing the model of cordless phone
> >or SMC router?
> >
> >Several 5GHz cordless phones have the base unit transmit on 2.4GHz.
> >Such cross band devices also exist with 2.4/900MHz such as the
> >Panasonic Giga-Range. Your SMC is probably getting trashed only by
> >the 2.4Ghz from the base unit. If it's a frequency hopping spread
> >spectrum (FHSS) base, then moving to a different channel on the SMC
> >will not help.
>
> Well, I screwed up slightly.
>
> The Panasonic GigaRange Extreme base unit transits on 2.4Ghz and
> receives on 900MHz.
>
> Phones that use Atmel dualband chipsets have the base unit transmits
> on 5.6GHz and receives on 2.4GHz. Therefore, it's the handsets that
> are causing the 2.4GHz interference, not the base unit as I claimed.

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/printableArticle.jhtml?p...

> Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 11:52:02 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:38:53 -0500, "Ray" <mapperkids@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>The cordless phone that I'm using is UNIDEN TCX800 and I can't find anywhere
>in the spec saying about 2.4Ghz. All it say just 5.8Ghz handset.

Skimming through the docs, it appears that the TCX800 is 5.8GHz only.
In theory, that should not interfere with your 802.11b/g network in
any manner, unless they really are using 2.4GHz in the cordless phone.

Could you supply the FCC ID number from the serial number tag so I can
look it up in the type certification test results for the type of
radio used? It will probably be AMW-xxxxxxxx or AES-xxxxxxxxx.

!