Ps3 wont connect to modem

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
heys guys my ps3 wont connect to my modem but my pc connects fine all the time, a while back i got the wireless network from my buddy upstairs to work by customizing the ip addresss and all that shtuff but now that i try a wired it wont work i wonder if i messed up the settings or something but ive tried both easy and custom when i did custom i took the ip address, and all the other info the ps3 was asking for from my computer network settings and put it in and it still didnt work so now im at a loss. pleasee help guys i wanna play call of duty again!

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

what xactly is a dhcp host name?

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
tried that buddy wont work, that self explanetory stuff message me when u have a real answer im just really annoyed by the internet in general when it comes this problem, no one goes into specifics. no offense man and somewhere it does ask for a host name and i thot i knew it but i guess it s not right

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

and i appreciate the answer no matter what and teh speed at which u anwered but i just cant find a solution anywhere and im getting pissed so again no offense, i just feel like if people gave in depth answers the first time it would get solved quicker and i know its hard to give good anwers when u dont know much about the problem im having but ive seen even on in depth question u get the most vague answers and im tired of it

Without you giving the details of your network setting, there is no way to give specific answers. if you want specific amswers, answer these questions.

Do you use a router?
If yes, what network addresses are you using?
Do you have DHCP enabled in the router?
Do you have UPnP enabled?
Are you assigned network info from your ISP or did they give you a static address?
If you are supplied static addresses, what is the address and what DNS servers were assigned?

In short, the easiest way to set up your ps3 is to make sure your router is automatically assigned info from your ISP, make sure DHCP is turned on in the router, and that UPnP is enabled in the router. if you have these 3 things, you can simply pick AUTOMATIC from the ps3 setup and it will work.

If this still sounds vague to you, then you do not have enough technical experience to be setting up a ps3 and need someone else that can be there on site helping you.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

thanks buddy sorry about earlier ive just been having to deal with this problem for months now. im tryin to use a modem for w wired connection. idk if dhcp or upnp is enabled the guy from the internet provider was real vague about the setup didnt give me numbers or anythinh i basically just went ot internet website and typed in confirmation code.
but what i can tell u is i tried typing in the ip address, subnet mask, dns servers, dhcp servers, and perhaps default gateway into ps3 settings in custom mode, i found this info from the network settings on my computer, and since two weeks ago they havent changed jus checked them. and the ps3 still cant find ip address. i think the static addresses u asked are what i was just talked about they have never changed. never had problem with internet connecton on computer also except one time but everyone in my apartment did also so i think it was the company. hope this helps

You might be able to use some of the PC settings in the PS3, but not all of them. IP addresses are unique and no two devices on the same network can use them.

When you checked your computer settings, was the computer set to "automatically obtain an ip address" and "automatically obtain DNS"? If so, there is a good chance you can use the automatic setting on the ps3. You will still need to be sure that UPnP is enabled in the router/modem for it to work.

selayan

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
The aoss button is a feature where you would go into your ps3 network settings to setup internet connection and press on Automatic and then you would go and press the AOSS button on your router and it should sync. If you are using DHCP and wired connection to the router it should connect. If you are trying to stream, it may not stream properly. I think the new updates messed that up. I used to be able to use Tversity to stream and now I can't even get it to play a movie from the computer because of freezes.