** Assigning Drive letters to Hard Drives **

bigbonthabeat

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I know how to assign hard drive letters in computer management...but here is my dilemma.

I recently had a hard drive die on me so I reinstalled the C drive (operating system hard drive). Before, my D drive was assigned for my music projects and the X drive assigned for my sounds.

When I reinstalled the operating system, my D drive was changed to the 'E' drive and my X drive was changed to the 'F' drive. Now when I open my music projects, there are missing files because the files were previously in the D and X drives, but now have been changed to E and F.

** It won't let me change the drive letter to D because my DVD drive is the D drive. Is there a way I can change the DVD drive letter? It doesn't give you this option in computer management.

thanks!

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Um, yes it does.

Open Computer Management and select Disk Management from the left-hand list as normal. ALL your drives are listed in the bottom grey half of the window - scroll down to see your optical drives if need be.

From there just right-click the drive name and change the drive letter as normal.

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
what I do this, is start at the bottom of the list and reletter them starting with V, then U, etc, when you get to the drives that you don't need to reletter, you can assign the letters that you want them all to be