why I never have probs wih pcs?

G

I don't know why I'm posting this, but I never got problems with my A7V or CPU or vid.card! why is that? never crashes, works fine, fast to me, the only prob. is that I can't o'clock high, but at given speed - rox.

rbertino

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
I've come to the conclusion that there seem to be two different sets of people with VIA chipset based motherboards. Either those that work and don't exhibit any problems, or those that have an incompatibility of some sort and end up becoming a pain in the you-know-what to fix.

You seem to be one of the fortunate ones who ended up having hardware that was pretty compatible with the VIA chipset. My A7V (the original, not the 133) would work pretty well until I tried anything 3D game related. After trying for weeks and weeks, and downloading more different things and installing Windows 98 probably at least 20 times, I finally came to the conclusion that the something in my system didn't agree with the motherboard. (I even tried 3 different video cards - same thing).

I think maybe the KT133A-based ones are a little better in their compatibility (minus the 686B southbridge bug which some people run into), and the VIA 4-in-1 drivers seem to continue getting better.

But, when it comes to compatibility, I think most people will agree that nothing beats a 440BX or an 815 chipset. But, there will even be cases here and there where people will have problems with those chipsets as well. It all just depends on whether you are unlucky enough to catch those few pieces of hardware that just won't agree...

<i>I don't know anything about computers... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night...</i> :lol:

G

Probobly because I bought my pc not cheap, I could have order parts from www.pricewatch.com (not exactly from there, but from companies with those LOW prices), but I ordered PARTS, not built system from www.aberdeeninc.com and they test things before shipping and it took them 4 weeks. I think it is because many A7Vs failed tests and they had to change it. I had a problem with south bridg, my Sound Blaster Live! Value didn't work in the 4th or 5th PCI slot, but I flashed the BIOS and it is great! BY THE WAY!! I just got e-mail from guys in ASUS and they told me there is a BETA udate that allows to put 1.4ghz Athlon on A7V, they even sent it to me! isn't that cooooool?

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ive got the same "problem", that is... none (touch wood) i built my own system with untested parts... flawless... run setiathome 24/7 and get around a week or two between reboots on my windows box... its becoming scary considering how much my friends computers crash (especially all those dells with win 98... theyre terrible... bout 12 hours before crashing... about to build a box with potentially a huge amount of problems but im willing to suffer for the benefits...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong