Kyocera 2325 as modem. How?

Last response: in Network Providers
November 10, 2004 2:54:47 PM

I have a Kyocera 2325 from Verizon and th eUSB cable from Kyocera.

I have the USB cable in Device Manager (Windows 98SE) as COM1.

No modem .inf file I've tried will work. The Modems control panel
diagnostics always says it's not responding.

I can use Hyperterminal to directly connect to COM1 then use
the ATDT command to dial and login to my ISP so I know the phone
will work as a modem. Of course that's useless except to demonstrate
it works because I don't have a shell or SLIP account.

So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
there and will work as a modem?

Verizon "support" is no help at all. Absolutely NONE of their
suggestions have worked. Trying it with any of the "standard"
modem drivers does not work. The only Windows Kyocera modem drivers
available on the Kyocera site are for the 7135 and Qualcomm PalmOS
based phones. I've found software on driverguide.com for Kyocera
phones other than the 7135, doesn't work either. I've tried all
the port speed settings on the phone and matched them in Windows,
also tried them different.

When I got the phone at the Verizon store (an actual Verizon
storefront, not a place like RadioShack) I specifically asked
if it would work as a modem and they told me all I needed was
this USB cable.

The computer I'm trying to get it to work on is a Toshiba Tecra
8000 laptop. Pentium II, 300Mhz, 128meg RAM, Windows 98SE.

I have 21 years of experience with PC hardware and software, so
this _shouldn't_ be hard. My bet is Verizon has "fixed" something
in this phone to block Windows from detecting its modem capabilities.

Last week I took the phone back to see if there are any firmware
updates. The guy looked at it, said it's way old, told me the version
number on it and the new version number. Said it would be about 45
minutes. They were very busy. I come back 45 minutes later and finally
snag one of their people and ask if my phone is done. He goes in back
and comes out with my phone. I get home (75 miles away) and try it
again with the USB cable. Same non results. I go online and find how to
check the firmware version. THEY DIDN'T UPDATE IT! The guy just went and
picked it up without asking their tech people if they were through
with it.

***>-_-<*** (steam coming out my ears) Can you tell I am NOT HAPPY
with Verizon?

More about : kyocera 2325 modem

Anonymous
November 10, 2004 2:54:48 PM

GAlan wrote:

> So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
> there and will work as a modem?

Try setting it up as a "Standard Modem". Worked for me.

> When I got the phone at the Verizon store (an actual Verizon
> storefront, not a place like RadioShack) I specifically asked
> if it would work as a modem and they told me all I needed was
> this USB cable.

That actually should be the case.

November 10, 2004 2:54:48 PM

"GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
>I have a Kyocera 2325 from Verizon and th eUSB cable from Kyocera.
>
> I have the USB cable in Device Manager (Windows 98SE) as COM1.
>
> No modem .inf file I've tried will work. The Modems control panel
> diagnostics always says it's not responding.
>

> So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
> there and will work as a modem?

You could just do it the simple way. Go to Dial up networking and add it.
Use a standard modem driver and whatever phone number you want. That will
work fine for low speed (qwk2net circuit switched 14.4 etc). (use name: qnc
password: qnc)

If you want to use it as high speed, that's a bit trickier. First it HAS to
already be on your account as an active option (look at your bill and see if
National Access is listed as an active additional service). The phone number
must be #777 instead of a real number, setup strings to the phone are
different and need to be added, max speed to connect must be changed, logon
to vzw3g must be added etc...

For now, I'd go for the simple add it as low speed first.
November 10, 2004 8:26:49 PM

The driver that you need can be downloaded from Kyocera support:

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/2300-phone/support.htm

There is no reason why you can't use the 2325 as a data phone once you get
it installed properly....

Good luck!

PC

"GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
|I have a Kyocera 2325 from Verizon and th eUSB cable from Kyocera.
|
| I have the USB cable in Device Manager (Windows 98SE) as COM1.
|
| No modem .inf file I've tried will work. The Modems control panel
| diagnostics always says it's not responding.
|
| I can use Hyperterminal to directly connect to COM1 then use
| the ATDT command to dial and login to my ISP so I know the phone
| will work as a modem. Of course that's useless except to demonstrate
| it works because I don't have a shell or SLIP account.
|
| So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
| there and will work as a modem?
|
| Verizon "support" is no help at all. Absolutely NONE of their
| suggestions have worked. Trying it with any of the "standard"
| modem drivers does not work. The only Windows Kyocera modem drivers
| available on the Kyocera site are for the 7135 and Qualcomm PalmOS
| based phones. I've found software on driverguide.com for Kyocera
| phones other than the 7135, doesn't work either. I've tried all
| the port speed settings on the phone and matched them in Windows,
| also tried them different.
|
| When I got the phone at the Verizon store (an actual Verizon
| storefront, not a place like RadioShack) I specifically asked
| if it would work as a modem and they told me all I needed was
| this USB cable.
|
| The computer I'm trying to get it to work on is a Toshiba Tecra
| 8000 laptop. Pentium II, 300Mhz, 128meg RAM, Windows 98SE.
|
| I have 21 years of experience with PC hardware and software, so
| this _shouldn't_ be hard. My bet is Verizon has "fixed" something
| in this phone to block Windows from detecting its modem capabilities.
|
| Last week I took the phone back to see if there are any firmware
| updates. The guy looked at it, said it's way old, told me the version
| number on it and the new version number. Said it would be about 45
| minutes. They were very busy. I come back 45 minutes later and finally
| snag one of their people and ask if my phone is done. He goes in back
| and comes out with my phone. I get home (75 miles away) and try it
| again with the USB cable. Same non results. I go online and find how to
| check the firmware version. THEY DIDN'T UPDATE IT! The guy just went and
| picked it up without asking their tech people if they were through
| with it.
|
| ***>-_-<*** (steam coming out my ears) Can you tell I am NOT HAPPY
| with Verizon?
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:14:15 AM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in news:cmtdak$37s$2
@ratbert.glorb.com:

> GAlan wrote:
>
>> So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
>> there and will work as a modem?
>
> Try setting it up as a "Standard Modem". Worked for me.

Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
(I said this already in my previous post.)
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:14:16 AM

> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in news:cmtdak$37s$2
> @ratbert.glorb.com:
>
>> GAlan wrote:
>>
>>> So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
>>> there and will work as a modem?
>>
>> Try setting it up as a "Standard Modem". Worked for me.
>
> Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
> (I said this already in my previous post.)

I have and use his older phone as a standard modem, depending on your
version of windows (win 98 didn't support USB), you may need one of the free
utility programs from zdnet or download.com (memory resident about 300-400
bytes) that convert USB to COM. If all you have is a serial cable, phones
default to USB and you have to go into the communications setup menu (on the
phone) and make it rs-232 instead of USB.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:14:52 AM

"Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in

> "GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
>>I have a Kyocera 2325 from Verizon and th eUSB cable from Kyocera.
>>
>> I have the USB cable in Device Manager (Windows 98SE) as COM1.
>>
>> No modem .inf file I've tried will work. The Modems control panel
>> diagnostics always says it's not responding.
>>

>> So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
>> there and will work as a modem?
>>

> You could just do it the simple way. Go to Dial up networking and add
> it. Use a standard modem driver and whatever phone number you want.
> That will work fine for low speed (qwk2net circuit switched 14.4 etc).
> (use name: qnc password: qnc)

Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
(I said this already in my previous post.)
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:14:53 AM

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
>

>> "GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
>>>I have a Kyocera 2325 from Verizon and th eUSB cable from Kyocera.
>>>
>>> I have the USB cable in Device Manager (Windows 98SE) as COM1.
>>>
>>> No modem .inf file I've tried will work. The Modems control panel
>>> diagnostics always says it's not responding.
>>>

>>> So how do I convince the rest of Windows that the phone really is
>>> there and will work as a modem?
>>>

>> You could just do it the simple way. Go to Dial up networking and add
>> it. Use a standard modem driver and whatever phone number you want.
>> That will work fine for low speed (qwk2net circuit switched 14.4 etc).
>> (use name: qnc password: qnc)
>
> Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
> (I said this already in my previous post.)

As I said in other posts, go to www.zdnet.com or www.download.com and get
one of the free memory resident utilities that convert USB to COM.
Anonymous
November 11, 2004 10:32:36 AM

"Proconsul" <nospam@nospam.org> wrote in news:tdzkd.97494$kz3.31398
@fed1read02:

> http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/2300-phone/support.htm

The cable I have uses this download

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/support/drivers/Kyocera...

This ZIP file does not contain _modem_ driver files. It only contains
the drivers for the Prolific chip in the cable and a USB/COM port.

I'll have a look at

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/support/drivers/Kyocera...

and

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/support/drivers/Kyocera...

They're larger files, may contain more than just the bare-bones
cable drivers. I doubt they'll work.

What's odd is that Hyperterminal can access and use the phone without
the modem showing in Device Manager or the Modems control panel.

What's hiding it from Windows?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 5:53:17 AM

> "GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
>> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in news:cmtdak$37s$2
>> @ratbert.glorb.com:

>>> Try setting it up as a "Standard Modem". Worked for me.
>>
>> Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
>> (I said this already in my previous post.)
>
> I have and use his older phone as a standard modem, depending on your
> version of windows (win 98 didn't support USB), you may need one of
> the free utility programs from zdnet or download.com (memory resident
> about 300-400 bytes) that convert USB to COM. If all you have is a
> serial cable, phones default to USB and you have to go into the
> communications setup menu (on the phone) and make it rs-232 instead of
> USB.

I'm using Windows 98 SECOND EDITION, WHICH DOES SUPPORT USB.

How many times do I have to say THIS DOES NOT WORK ON MY PHONE?

The 2325 has a built in serial port, NOT USB. The _cable_ has a
chip in it, made by Prolific, that converts the USB port to a
serial port.

The CABLE DRIVER makes Windows see the Prolific chip as a
COM port attached to the USB.

HYPER TERMINAL _CAN_ send an ATDT command with the phone number
to "COM1". The phone dials and I get my ISP login prompt.

I can login, then get a screen full of gibberish since it's
_not_ a SHELL OR SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol) account.

The PROBLEM is that DIAL UP NETWORKING _CANNOT_ SEE THE MODEM!!!

I've tried several different Kyocera and the standard modem
drivers. NONE OF THEM WORK!

And I've already said I've tried all three port speeds available
with the phone, hasn't made a difference.

How many more times will people tell me to do what I've already
said I've tried, that does not work?!
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 5:53:18 AM

> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
>

>> "GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
>>> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in news:cmtdak$37s$2
>>> @ratbert.glorb.com:

>>> Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
>>> (I said this already in my previous post.)
>>
>> I have and use his older phone as a standard modem, depending on your
>> version of windows (win 98 didn't support USB), you may need one of
>> the free utility programs from zdnet or download.com (memory resident
>> about 300-400 bytes) that convert USB to COM. If all you have is a
>> serial cable, phones default to USB and you have to go into the
>> communications setup menu (on the phone) and make it rs-232 instead of
>> USB.
>
> I'm using Windows 98 SECOND EDITION, WHICH DOES SUPPORT USB.
>
> How many times do I have to say THIS DOES NOT WORK ON MY PHONE?
>
> The 2325 has a built in serial port, NOT USB. The _cable_ has a
> chip in it, made by Prolific, that converts the USB port to a
> serial port.
>
> The CABLE DRIVER makes Windows see the Prolific chip as a
> COM port attached to the USB.
>
> HYPER TERMINAL _CAN_ send an ATDT command with the phone number
> to "COM1". The phone dials and I get my ISP login prompt.
>
> I can login, then get a screen full of gibberish since it's
> _not_ a SHELL OR SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol) account.
>

> The PROBLEM is that DIAL UP NETWORKING _CANNOT_ SEE THE MODEM!!!
>
> I've tried several different Kyocera and the standard modem
> drivers. NONE OF THEM WORK!
>
> And I've already said I've tried all three port speeds available
> with the phone, hasn't made a difference.
>
> How many more times will people tell me to do what I've already
> said I've tried, that does not work?!

I would check that cable then. I have two that work just fine and NEITHER of
them have any sort of chip thing in it, come to think of it, neither have
drivers either.. who makes the cable you are using? Do they have a website?
Anonymous
November 12, 2004 5:53:18 AM

I'm going to try to help here...

GAlan wrote:

> The 2325 has a built in serial port, NOT USB. The _cable_ has a
> chip in it, made by Prolific, that converts the USB port to a
> serial port.

As the former owner of a 2325, can I point out that the typical cell phone has
a connector that is neither a USB nor a serial connector? (Sorry... Nitpicking,
I know.)

> The CABLE DRIVER makes Windows see the Prolific chip as a
> COM port attached to the USB.

> HYPER TERMINAL _CAN_ send an ATDT command with the phone number
> to "COM1". The phone dials and I get my ISP login prompt.

And which device are you using when you successfully connect this way? Standard
14400 or 28800 modem? Something else? Hyperterminal uses the same modem drivers
that DUN uses.

Are you trying to connect using Quick2Net (the old 14.4K service) or
ExpressNetwork/NationalAccess? If the latter, I might be able to at least offer
suggestions about what your problem is, if not a solution...

> I can login, then get a screen full of gibberish since it's
> _not_ a SHELL OR SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol) account.

At what speed are you connecting when you make the successful connection?

> How many more times will people tell me to do what I've already
> said I've tried, that does not work?!

I'm not telling you anything yet. Just collecting some data. Forget what I said
earlier. I have used my 2325 succesfully before, but with a serial data cable
and I think I may be able to identify the problems you're having, which I
wouldn't have had.

Oh, also, just for the sake of completeness, perhaps you could list the drivers
you've tried to use (both Kyo and Windows drivers)

Just bear with me and answer my questions and the chances are good that I'll be
able to solve this mystery for you.

**SJS (been a long time since the last time I did ISP tech support!)

November 12, 2004 5:53:19 AM

> "GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message
>> "Peter Pan" <Marcs1102NOSPAM@HotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in
>>

>>> "GAlan" <gregg1@NOCANNEDMEAT.valint.net> wrote in message

>>> I have and use his older phone as a standard modem, depending on your
>>> version of windows (win 98 didn't support USB), you may need one of
>>> the free utility programs from zdnet or download.com (memory resident
>>> about 300-400 bytes) that convert USB to COM. If all you have is a
>>> serial cable, phones default to USB and you have to go into the
>>> communications setup menu (on the phone) and make it rs-232 instead of
>>> USB.
>>
>> I'm using Windows 98 SECOND EDITION, WHICH DOES SUPPORT USB.
>>
>> How many times do I have to say THIS DOES NOT WORK ON MY PHONE?
>>
>> The 2325 has a built in serial port, NOT USB. The _cable_ has a
>> chip in it, made by Prolific, that converts the USB port to a
>> serial port.
>>
>> The CABLE DRIVER makes Windows see the Prolific chip as a
>> COM port attached to the USB.
>>
>> HYPER TERMINAL _CAN_ send an ATDT command with the phone number
>> to "COM1". The phone dials and I get my ISP login prompt.
>>
>> I can login, then get a screen full of gibberish since it's
>> _not_ a SHELL OR SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol) account.
>>

>> The PROBLEM is that DIAL UP NETWORKING _CANNOT_ SEE THE MODEM!!!
>>
>> I've tried several different Kyocera and the standard modem
>> drivers. NONE OF THEM WORK!
>>
>> And I've already said I've tried all three port speeds available
>> with the phone, hasn't made a difference.
>>
>> How many more times will people tell me to do what I've already
>> said I've tried, that does not work?!

Sorry you are having problems, but you are posting information in multiple
posts/places, not in one post. If you expect someone to remember exactly
what you said in another post at another time, when they are trying to offer
you some free advice, then screw you pal.. I have lots of way way better
things to do than remember every single thing you wrote at different times
in different posts... I suggest you put all the details in one block of text
and paste it into each message.

Here's a clue.. mine works just fine. On 5 computers and two different
cables, with just the drivers in windows. Thousands of people have that
phone and it works just fine...None of us have a financial motive to
remember YOUR stuff. I can't answer for anyone else here, but I didn't sell
you the hardware, made absolutely nothing, **YOU** have the problem, not me,
and **YOU** better learn some manners if you want free help. When I do
computer and phone repair, I will **NOT** tolerate someone getting nasty...
And if they start shouting, I have one firm and fast rule..NO ABUSE
WHATSOEVER!.. pack the stuff up, put it in the persons hands, and point them
to the door.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 8:49:58 AM

> And which device are you using when you successfully connect this way?
> Standard 14400 or 28800 modem? Something else? Hyperterminal uses the
> same modem drivers that DUN uses.

I've done it without any driver installed. Just direct to COM1, Just
like can be done by connecting any external modem that's not host
based, without having to install a driver or inf file for DUN.
Windows 98SE allows direct port access. Hyperterminal communicates
directly with the modem, if it's not a Winmodem or other software
driven modem. The 2325 has to have an all hardware modem or the
"driver" would be more than an .inf file.

> Are you trying to connect using Quick2Net (the old 14.4K service) or
> ExpressNetwork/NationalAccess? If the latter, I might be able to at
> least offer suggestions about what your problem is, if not a
> solution...

None of the above. I have a normal ISP account.

>> I can login, then get a screen full of gibberish since it's
>> _not_ a SHELL OR SLIP (Serial Line Internet Protocol) account.
>
> At what speed are you connecting when you make the successful
> connection?

I never noticed that Hyperterminal reported a connect speed.

> I'm not telling you anything yet. Just collecting some data. Forget
> what I said earlier. I have used my 2325 succesfully before, but with
> a serial data cable and I think I may be able to identify the problems
> you're having, which I wouldn't have had.
>
> Oh, also, just for the sake of completeness, perhaps you could list
> the drivers you've tried to use (both Kyo and Windows drivers)

I've tried every driver that Kyocera has for a USB to serial cable
with a Prolific chip, as well as Prolific drivers from the Prolific
site and other vendors who sell cabled with those chips. All of them
I've tried, it's been able to work with Hyperterminal.

I've tried every version of the Kyocera CDMA Modem and Kyocera High
Speed CDMA Modem .inf I could find. (And I've tried all three COM
port speed settings with each on both the phone and laptop.

> Just bear with me and answer my questions and the chances are good
> that I'll be able to solve this mystery for you.
>
> **SJS (been a long time since the last time I did ISP tech support!)

I used to work the "helldesk" too, got a twitch in my left eyelid that
took a month to go away after I was done dealing with customers that
literally did not know left, right, up and down. Ever spend an hour
just walking a person through inputting their DNS numbers?
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 8:49:59 AM

GAlan wrote:

> I've done it without any driver installed. Just direct to COM1, Just
> like can be done by connecting any external modem that's not host
> based, without having to install a driver or inf file for DUN.
> Windows 98SE allows direct port access. Hyperterminal communicates
> directly with the modem, if it's not a Winmodem or other software
> driven modem. The 2325 has to have an all hardware modem or the
> "driver" would be more than an .inf file.

It can be done that way with no problems with a serial cable. A USB cable will
normally require drivers with WIN98 SE, although perhaps not with Win2K or XP
as those operating systems have much better support for USB.

>>Are you trying to connect using Quick2Net (the old 14.4K service) or
>>ExpressNetwork/NationalAccess? If the latter, I might be able to at
>>least offer suggestions about what your problem is, if not a
>>solution...
>
> None of the above. I have a normal ISP account.

You MUST be using either Quick2Net or NationalAcccess to dial into the ISP. If
it's an ISP and you're dialing their number directly, you're probably using Q2N
which is the slower service - I don't know that you can dial an ISP using
NationalAccess (as far as I know that requires connecting directly through VZW).

> I've tried every version of the Kyocera CDMA Modem and Kyocera High
> Speed CDMA Modem .inf I could find. (And I've tried all three COM
> port speed settings with each on both the phone and laptop.

Are you trying to connect at 14.4?

November 14, 2004 8:59:39 AM

> Sorry you are having problems, but you are posting information in
> multiple posts/places, not in one post. If you expect someone to
> remember exactly what you said in another post at another time, when
> they are trying to offer you some free advice, then screw you pal.. I
> have lots of way way better things to do than remember every single
> thing you wrote at different times in different posts... I suggest you
> put all the details in one block of text and paste it into each
> message.

This thread right here has everything I've tried. I learned long ago
that it's considered "bad manners" to repeatedly post large chunks of
the same text into several messages in a thread. That's why messages are
threaded, so people can read "upstream" to see what's been said previously.

If people can't be bothered to read "up thread" to see what the original
poster has said/done/tried already, then why bother to reply at all
when it's quite likely all you'll be doing is telling them to try
what they've already said they've tried?

What's even worse is trying to get help on IRC. Post a problem,
get asked what's been tried, reply "X" and someone posts "Well,
try 'X' and see if that works."

So I'm not going to re-post the entire litany of everything on
this problem into every single post in this thread. It's a waste
of space, bandwidth and it makes it harder to follow the thread.

If you don't like that, then don't bother getting all bitchy
about it.

FYI, I have 21 years experience with PC hardware and software,
this @#%%#@%@# phone is one of the very few things to ever
"stump" me for this long.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:10:31 AM

>>> You could just do it the simple way. Go to Dial up networking and
>>> add it. Use a standard modem driver and whatever phone number you
>>> want. That will work fine for low speed (qwk2net circuit switched
>>> 14.4 etc). (use name: qnc password: qnc)
>>
>> Doesn't work. Modem does not respond to the diagnostic probe.
>> (I said this already in my previous post.)
>
> As I said in other posts, go to www.zdnet.com or www.download.com and
> get one of the free memory resident utilities that convert USB to COM.

Do you have a program name?

The cable shows under USB in Device Manager, and there's already
a USB to Serial (COM1) listed under Ports. Currently I have the
cable drivers installed that Kyocera says are for this cable on their
2325 phone page.

The problem is that with any of the Standard modem drivers or
the Kyocera CDMA drivers, the modem does not respond at all when
I click the More info button on the Diagnostics tab.

Now that I think more on this, there is the possibility that the
USB to Serial port driver (that interfaces to the Prolific chip
driver) may have something "not quite right" about it. Not wrong
enough to prevent Hyperterminal from connecting straight through
to the phone as if it were a genuine RS-232 port, but "off" just
so that DUN cannot see a modem attached to the port.
Anonymous
November 14, 2004 9:10:32 AM

GAlan wrote:

> Now that I think more on this, there is the possibility that the
> USB to Serial port driver (that interfaces to the Prolific chip
> driver) may have something "not quite right" about it. Not wrong
> enough to prevent Hyperterminal from connecting straight through
> to the phone as if it were a genuine RS-232 port, but "off" just
> so that DUN cannot see a modem attached to the port.

If all you are doing is using the lower speed (it flipped out when I tried
to use it for the higher speed NA), I got a futuredial cable at radioshack
for the 2325 (off the shelf in a plastic pak), used it with DUN, and it
worked right off.

As a matter of fact, since it is free time (weekends), I'm using it, the
cellphone, and DUN right now.
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 7:46:24 AM

> You MUST be using either Quick2Net or NationalAcccess to dial into the
> ISP. If it's an ISP and you're dialing their number directly, you're
> probably using Q2N which is the slower service - I don't know that you
> can dial an ISP using NationalAccess (as far as I know that requires
> connecting directly through VZW).

I'm not on a nationwide plan and I'm pretty sure I don't have Q2N,

I did find some software that allows me to edit all sorts of settings
in the phone and even add/edit contact info, load ringtones, backup
the firmware and all those good things.

It's looking more and more like Verizon does something to the phone's
settings (for customers who don't have the national plan or Q2N) to
hide it from Windows DUN.

Now how do I find out what those settings are and what they need to
be to enable Windows DUN to see the modem so it can be used just like
any normal modem?
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 11:57:58 AM

GAlan wrote:
> Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in
>

>>You MUST be using either Quick2Net or NationalAcccess to dial into the
>>ISP. If it's an ISP and you're dialing their number directly, you're
>>probably using Q2N which is the slower service - I don't know that you
>>can dial an ISP using NationalAccess (as far as I know that requires
>>connecting directly through VZW).
>

> I'm not on a nationwide plan and I'm pretty sure I don't have Q2N,

You automatically have it no matter what plan you're on.

November 20, 2004 1:20:24 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
<snipped>
Just thought i'd mention here that I am using the 2325 I got from you steve,
as a USB Hi Speed modem with NA, and just download a 10 meg windows update
(took about 12 minutes so a bit less than 100K)... Worked great.. I love my
2325 as a modem :)

With it being a weekend (and free time), I'm gonna experiment a bit an see
if I can tether it to my WAP/Router rather than the laptops on my WiFi
network, then I can absolutely say It's not tethered to my laptop :)
Anonymous
November 20, 2004 4:04:15 PM

Peter Pan wrote:
> Steve Sobol wrote:
> <snipped>
> Just thought i'd mention here that I am using the 2325 I got from you steve,
> as a USB Hi Speed modem with NA,

Dialing #777 or dialing into an ISP? I think Galan's problem is he's trying to
dial into an ISP.

I successfully used NationalAccess with that phone and a serial cable, too, but
I wasn't trying to dial an ISP. I dialed #777.

November 20, 2004 4:18:10 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
>> Steve Sobol wrote:
>> <snipped>
>> Just thought i'd mention here that I am using the 2325 I got from
>> you steve, as a USB Hi Speed modem with NA,
>
> Dialing #777 or dialing into an ISP? I think Galan's problem is he's
> trying to dial into an ISP.
>
> I successfully used NationalAccess with that phone and a serial
> cable, too, but I wasn't trying to dial an ISP. I dialed #777.

Just #777 with high speed. Heck you can't even dial in at high speed/packet
switching.. Here's a tip for people that use QWK2NET still.. I Travel all
over and never wanted to bother with local numbers, nor the long seconds
negotiating calling an ISP, so I use #777 in ANY verizon area and many
extended network areas (takes less than a second to connect/reconnect with
#777). Much easier than changing numbers at every stop as you travel....

I keep one backup dialup connection set up as low speed direct dial/long
distance to the ISP in case I am in an area that doesn't support data on
extended.
With free LD, why worry about a local number?

Note.. that number #777 **MUST** be put into your software dialer... never
ever try and dial it from the keypad!
!