infrastructure mode

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 1:12:34 AM

I would like to know how to change channels when you have your wireless
network set up in 'infrastructure' mode. This is probably something simple
but I am missing it. I am working with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and
two Linksys wireless notebook adapters. I can change the channel in 'Ad Hoc'
mode but not the other mode. Thanks in advance for any help.

Rocco

More about : infrastructure mode

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 1:12:35 AM

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:12:34 -0500, "Rod Long" <noway@nohow.com>
wrote:

>I would like to know how to change channels when you have your wireless
>network set up in 'infrastructure' mode. This is probably something simple
>but I am missing it. I am working with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and
>two Linksys wireless notebook adapters. I can change the channel in 'Ad Hoc'
>mode but not the other mode. Thanks in advance for any help.

In infrastructure mode, the access point sets the channel for all
connected client radios. The client radios scan all the channels
until it hears an access point. There is no channel control on the
client radios.

In ad-hoc mode, there is no access point to run things. Therefore,
each client has to pre-set its own channel manually.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 12:18:50 PM

In Infrastructure mode, the channel is set by the AP, and the Station has no
control of
channel.

"Rod Long" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know how to change channels when you have your wireless
> network set up in 'infrastructure' mode. This is probably something simple
> but I am missing it. I am working with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router
and
> two Linksys wireless notebook adapters. I can change the channel in 'Ad
Hoc'
> mode but not the other mode. Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Rocco

a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 12:18:51 PM

Okay, thanks for the input. Now, when I tried 'Ad Hoc' mode neither adapter
could find the access point to connect to the net. I wanted to change
channels because my buddy lives in an apartment directly above a party store
and he has his access point in the kitchen of the apartment. The store has
some steel girders within it's construction and the store is full of
electronic equipment(freezers, cash registers, ovens, deli cases, etc.) and
he said that he couldn't get a signal in most parts of the store. His office
is in the back of the store and when I first installed the wireless gear, it
worked fine right out of the box. But the signal is now inconsistent and I
thought if I changed the channel I could get a more consistent signal. There
is only about 50-60 feet between the AP and his office. He wants to use his
notebook and get online (he has cable internet access) wherever he wants
when he is in the store. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rocco
"Fresnel Fadermargini" <RSSI@pathloss.dbm.com> wrote in message
> In Infrastructure mode, the channel is set by the AP, and the Station has
> no
> control of
> channel.
>

> "Rod Long" <noway@nohow.com> wrote in message
>> I would like to know how to change channels when you have your wireless
>> network set up in 'infrastructure' mode. This is probably something
>> simple
>> but I am missing it. I am working with a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router
> and
>> two Linksys wireless notebook adapters. I can change the channel in 'Ad
> Hoc'
>> mode but not the other mode. Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Rocco

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 6:21:58 PM

> Okay, thanks for the input. Now, when I tried 'Ad Hoc' mode neither
> adapter could find the access point to connect to the net. I wanted to
> change channels because my buddy lives in an apartment directly above a
> party store and he has his access point in the kitchen of the apartment.
> The store has some steel girders within it's construction and the store is
> full of electronic equipment(freezers, cash registers, ovens, deli cases,
> etc.) and he said that he couldn't get a signal in most parts of the
> store. His office is in the back of the store and when I first installed
> the wireless gear, it worked fine right out of the box. But the signal is
> now inconsistent and I thought if I changed the channel I could get a more
> consistent signal. There is only about 50-60 feet between the AP and his
> office. He wants to use his notebook and get online (he has cable internet
> access) wherever he wants when he is in the store. Any help is greatly
> appreciated.

Ad hoc mode won't use the wireless access point. You want infrastructure
mode set, then access the wireless access point however you do that( usually
the ip address of it in a browser but it depends on the model). then change
the channel on the wireless access point as explained by a previous poster.

Daniel
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 11, 2004 7:14:54 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:43:27 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "Rod Long"
<noway@nohow.com> wrote:

>Okay, thanks for the input. Now, when I tried 'Ad Hoc' mode neither adapter
>could find the access point to connect to the net.

This is not surprising - in ad-hoc mode, access points are not used.!

> I wanted to change
>channels because my buddy lives in an apartment directly above a party store
>and he has his access point in the kitchen of the apartment.

Change the channel on your AP, and let your clients find it.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;

Okay, let me get this straight...I will configure the AP(with the adapters
already installed and their software installed in infrastructure mode) and
the adaptere will set the channels when they access the AP? Sounds great.
You guys got it goin' on. The only problem I have now is trying to uninstall
the software(I wanted to start with a clean install). It is not in the
program groups with it's uninstall utility, nowhere in the startup group,
nowhere in the registry, I used msconfig and it is nowhere there either,
and it is not on the the hard drive that I can find. But when I go to
'reinstall' the software, it says that the drivers are already loaded and to
uninstall them through the utility in the programs group. This is
challenging to say the least. Thanks so much for your input.

Rocco

and the "Mark McIntyre" <markmcintyre@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 08:43:27 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "Rod Long"
> <noway@nohow.com> wrote:
>
>>Okay, thanks for the input. Now, when I tried 'Ad Hoc' mode neither
>>adapter
>>could find the access point to connect to the net.
>
> This is not surprising - in ad-hoc mode, access points are not used.!
>
>> I wanted to change
>>channels because my buddy lives in an apartment directly above a party
>>store
>>and he has his access point in the kitchen of the apartment.
>
> Change the channel on your AP, and let your clients find it.
>
> --
> Mark McIntyre
> CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
> CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 12, 2004 3:09:38 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 11:55:30 -0500, in alt.internet.wireless , "Rod Long"
<noway@nohow.com> wrote:

>But when I go to
>'reinstall' the software, it says that the drivers are already loaded and to
>uninstall them through the utility in the programs group.

Then look for a programs menu item "your card provider" and see if there's
an uninstall programme. For instance my Belkin cards created a "Belkin"
menu item.

--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.ungerhu.com/jxh/clc.welcome.txt&gt;
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 12, 2004 6:56:14 PM

Nothing is there and it looks like there is no evidence of the software
anywhere on the computer until..........next day..........Okay, finally
tried 'system restore'. It froze the computer..twice. Booted into safe mode
and found nothing again. Then tried chkdisk(old scandisk)..system stopped
responding. Turned the computer off for awhile. Then turned it back
on..tried chkdisk again. It worked this time. Then tried 'system restore'
again. It worked this time. Turned computer off..put wireless adapter back
in slot..turned it on..it installed the software successfully. Everything
works fine now. Whew! What the _______! Would it be pointless to ask what
happened? Probably. But now all is well with my friend's wireless network.
Thanks for all of the input.

Rocco

!