amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
No BIOS only section so I hope this is the right place.

First, I know Soyo mobo's are not an overclockers dream but I have found the K7VTA-B and Pro to be very reliable boards, fit for the people I build them for....nuff said.

This is the problem, all the K7VTA-B boards I have built so far have used BIOS rev. K7VTA-B 2AA2. I am now putting together another one and it's BIOS revison is K7VTA-B-2AA1. This BIOS rev. sucks, I cannot even get past 103 Mhz FSB and it just seems unstable.

I downloaded the flash utility and the 2AA2 BIOS rev. from Soyo but when attempting to run it I get a message that I need to update my BIOS ROM.

Does this mean I need a new BIOS chip, not a flash?

Anyone?

Thanks for any feedback

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
On their website it says its a 2MB flash rom. So I can't imagine there would be any need to replace it. It's supposed to be flashable.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
thanks for the response.....that is pretty much what I thought, it is just this damn 2AA1 BIOS....according to Soyo it does not exist they start at 2AA2 and when I try to flash to 2AA2 it says my original BIOS is not an Award BIOS and to upgrade the BIOS ROM.......the BIOS is definately an Award BIOS so I am lost......sent an e-mail to Soyo but we all know what kind of response I can expect from that.

aaagggghhhhhh

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
ahhh, finally.

This is what happened, the BIOS file I originally downloaded from their site using IE (!!) got screwed up, either IE did it or it was already screwed up, the file was listed as

kvtb2AA2.bin..bin

wtf?

used FTP to download and got

kvtb2AA2.bin

This file worked as advertised.

Fun and games in the 21st Century huh