Handheld Wireless Locator Gadgets

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Kensington had a gadget that was supposed to find an 802.11b source, saving
you the bother of constantly starting up your notebook to check. It didn't
work very well. Now, the follow up does both 802.11b and g, plus Bluetooth
detection. I tried one at CompUSA and it also didn't appear to work any
better than its predecessor. I could be wrong.

Also at CompUSA, I found a new one, the Mobile Edge device seems to work
very well. No Bluetooth, but it does B and G wireless detection. So far,
this one is the winner and I got it for $9.99 after two rebates. Hey, at
that price, I felt it was worth buying. Time will tell!

Next up, it seems that HAWKING has one that appears to be even more
substantial, but at a bigger size. It sort of flips open like a cell phone.
I'm not sure of the price or how good/bad it is. I've always stayed clear of
Hawking, because I considered it low tier hardware. However, they seem to be
making a lot of neat equipment these days, at rock bottom prices.

Anyone try any of these?

http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68 some reviews
there's one 'Canary' with a display that's interesting;
The Digital Hotspotter (HS10) is the only device on the market that not only
detects a connection and its strength, but can also tell you whether it is
encrypted, what channel it is on and the name of the network.

"bumtracks" <posted@usenet.bud> wrote:
>http://www.handtops.com/show/news/68 some reviews

Sounds like fun, is there laptop software that'll do this as well?
I've got NetStumbler, which is OK, what else is there?

Also, is there any way to look for interference sources? I've got a
couple of clients who have been picking channcels based on how bad the
co-interference with their cordless phones is...

Thanks!

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Great Review. I have the Mobile Edge which is the same one as the PCTEL. I
guess they are both made by another company that just OEMs them. I just got
the Hawking HWL1 for $27.95, after rebate, at Micro Center. I like the
ability to see if encryption exists and the SSID. But I'm going to wait for
these to get better before trying another one. So far, I'm happy with the
results. I have one keychain size one for general use, and the Hawking is
good to do more in depth signal strength testing.

Thanks!