Sign in with
Your question

Tired of buying flops; Need a graphically impressive game for new PC

Last response: in Video Games
July 22, 2011 8:54:03 PM

I HATE buying flops that look good, but then dissapoint. I try to pick based on reviews, but I still can't seem to find many games I like....

I suppose I'm looking for a suggestion for any decent games out there; also, I'm getting a new system, so a very flashy game is a plus to show off the new graphics card.(Replayibility counts!)

I own these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal
Portal 2
Civ 5
Oblivion
Team fortress 2
Terraria

I LOVE these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal 2
Civ 5
Team fortress 2

I would prefer 1st person shooters that lean away from stale call of duty styles or RPG's with 200+ hours of play. I'm open to other genres if the game is interesting enough...

Price is not a concern.

Thanks for reading this thread and please help me find something!
July 22, 2011 9:33:54 PM

I enjoy Crysis 2 and with the DX11 patch it's probably the most graphically impressive game available until BF3 arrives. The original Crysis is still pretty great looking as well.

m
l
July 22, 2011 9:58:02 PM

Yeah, but I'm looking for replay incentive... I'll consider it!
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2011 11:27:21 PM

Metro 2033, and Witcher 2 have my votes.
m
l
July 22, 2011 11:28:29 PM

BF3 looked amazing! That explosion was like: holy A**!!!! L4D2 was a close second, but I have a crippling fear of zombies...

Any games that look pretty good, but also have that coveted replay value?Imma thinking mass effect series...
m
l
July 23, 2011 12:06:20 AM

Multiplayer games have unlimited replay value.
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:13:07 AM

only to a degree, I'm not always connected to the internet, nor do I always feel like repeating the same manuevers to try to beat people (who may actually be better than me; that never happens when playing against AI)
m
l
July 23, 2011 3:17:06 AM

Quote:
There has been a few games in which multi-player has been ruined by people. For example I can't stand playing GRAW2 with people who play like it is unreal tournament.

Yes, just like that reference to two games I was too late to the videogame scene to try out.
m
l
July 23, 2011 3:26:55 AM

warband looks fun, but I just don't like medieval style games, I mean really, developers have raped the medieval sub-genre idea to death.
m
l
July 23, 2011 3:38:19 AM

I'll DL a demo for Crisis 2, Mass effect 2, and Warband from steam when that last part for my new PC gets here on tuesday, untill then, any more ideas?
m
l
July 23, 2011 11:45:23 AM

wow 200+ hours of play... i dont think such a game exists. most have about 40 max.
online is different. i played cod4 for over 1000hours ... if you want top notch gfx and gameplay then witcher 2 hits the mark it also has between 40 to 50 hours of gameplay.
fps shooters your liiking at 10 hours tops with most falling in the 6-8 hours for the single player.
badcompany 2 and black opps look good and have some replayability.
m
l
July 23, 2011 12:18:28 PM

Mass Effect 2
Starcraft 2
BFBC2 MP and SP
COD7 MP and SP ( yes, I'm a fanboy of neither )
Witcher 2.
Batman Arkham Asylum
Assassins Creed seires
Crysis 1, Warhead and Crysis 2
m
l
July 23, 2011 2:13:53 PM

plenty of RPG's offer 200+ hours of play; you must have never played a bethesda game.... Starcraft 2 looks interesting, I haven't really played many RTS's; I just wish blizzard would embrace steam, I gave up traditional media 2 years ago.
m
l
July 23, 2011 3:50:31 PM

Blizzard has there own download service they won't be embracing steam.

Starcraft 2 is a good game because it is constantly evolving with new user created content and game types. Even if you don't like traditional PVP online competition there are alot of coop game types.
m
l
July 23, 2011 4:10:54 PM

If you want eye candy, metro or witcher 2. People have been recommending some great games that aren't graphically advanced, but are still nonetheless great games. Which are you wanting? If you want crazy amount of content and hours upon hours of replay then you can pretty much rule out the game being visually impressive and moreso just expansive. I've thrown the 2 games out there for you because they are both great games that will push your hardware... As far as replay value that's up to you to decide if the game is right for you. They both have many many reviews online not to count the plethora of other games people have recommended so you can choose well the games suggested. Medieval played out ? Not for me but if you want an rpg and not mass effect or kotor good luck.
m
l
July 23, 2011 4:36:31 PM

Yeah I'm thinking mass effect, (not exactly replay value, but your character migrates between games with you)
m
l
July 23, 2011 6:00:13 PM

there are only a handful of games which will really put a new mid-high end gaming system to its full potential. most games are made so they can run well on the obsolete consoles. I can not think of a single pc-exclusive FPS game since... crysis (that is four friggin years ago)

RTS games like shogun 2 are visually impressive and have lots of replay value.
m
l
July 23, 2011 8:24:26 PM

yeah... I wish gaming was computer only, consoles are both inflexible and outdated; the console providers even charge their customers to game online!
m
l
July 23, 2011 8:30:56 PM

ok., so many choices to go over, I won't be choosing until tuesday, so keep the recomendations coming!
m
l
July 23, 2011 10:46:47 PM

chaorace said:
plenty of RPG's offer 200+ hours of play; you must have never played a bethesda game.... Starcraft 2 looks interesting, I haven't really played many RTS's; I just wish blizzard would embrace steam, I gave up traditional media 2 years ago.

And I gave up on steam 2 years ago. ( Offline mode does not work.)

That is a good RTS game, but I like the C&C games better for game play. I used to play LAN with a friend all the time. Internet at my place was bad then and it faster now, but still quit's on me 2-5 times a week for 1-2h.

Shogun 2 is a vary good looking game and when steam works it's fun. ( I did not know it needed steam. P.S If is so good then put: THIS GAME NEED'S STEAM AND THE INTERNET TO PLAY, BECUASE EVERY ONE AND THER BRO LIVE IN NEW YORK WHERE EVERY ONE AND THER BRO HAS 100MB SPEED THAT WORK"S 1000% of the time.)

P.S As you can see steam is a pain for me and I wish that it just stayed as a store than internet DRM for the disk ones.
m
l
July 23, 2011 10:49:18 PM

Wow.... Steam has improved the offline mode over those 2 years, now I can go offline 8/10 times... the other 2/10 times requires a reboot or a force kill on steam...
m
l
July 23, 2011 11:05:41 PM

chaorace said:
Wow.... Steam has improved the offline mode over those 2 years, now I can go offline 8/10 times... the other 2/10 times requires a reboot or a force kill on steam...

I just tryed it before I went to a place with NO INternet for 1-2 weeks and I put it in Offline mode and then log in page.( I am glad I have less than 5 games on steam and I got alot of no steam games that 100% worked.)

But anyway Steam won becuase every one thinks they are "Good" and that all the so called "BIG pub's" are "bad". ( I think they are the most overrated thing sec to facebook. I saw it on tv so much that I used to tv as bait to catsh a fish.)

I gave up on steam due to:

1) LOG ins ( I have reset my pass 6-7 times.)

2) crash's ( It's a buggy app)

3) offline is a joke and STILL IS,I just tryed it and yes the stupid thing is up to date.

I am glad it works for you, but I have seen to much of this killing disk like they are going to kill you.

P.S before you call me old school, I got a 3Dtv and a good PC.

m
l
July 23, 2011 11:22:14 PM

I wish I had a 3DTV.... anyway, when steam refuses to load, I just go to the steamapps folder and manually launch it, airplane trip emergency avoided.
m
l
July 23, 2011 11:43:18 PM

chaorace said:
I wish I had a 3DTV.... anyway, when steam refuses to load, I just go to the steamapps folder and manually launch it, airplane trip emergency avoided.

I will have to try it that way next time. I just got my 3Dtv and it's way better then the old 32in 1080i lcd tv I had. I like thing's that just work, but can try to fix it. I like my macbook pro 2011, becuase it just works.( just kid I don't have a MAC and I think they are over pirced. I think the lay out is user unfriendly too.) I have a sony laptop from 08 that is bulit well and it just work's. Steam makes me think of the acer laptop's I used to have. I tryed to make them work, but the overheating and disk drives not working, esc. made me say no more acer laptop's. So then it was xps 15 vs the new at the time fw 16in and the sony was 400 less with more on it.

P.S thank's for the tip.
m
l
July 23, 2011 11:51:13 PM

Yeah, I've never personally owned acers, but I've seen two die on friends of mine; One due to a heatsink issue, and another due to the power jack just falling out one day...
And as for the directory games are stored in: Program files>Steam>Steamapps>common*
* Games that use your steam login are under [your steam username] in Steamapps
m
l
July 24, 2011 12:04:36 AM

pilotwings has ruined me for any other flight sim
m
l
July 24, 2011 12:45:35 AM

Quote:
I don't see replay value in mass effect 2. (only one i have played) Warband is really fun. Even more so with mods such as diplomacy mod.

There is replay value in Mass Effect 2 only if you want to see different dialog options, play a different sex and if you want to play as a "good guy" or as a "bad guy".

However, in the end the game ends the same way.
m
l
July 24, 2011 1:12:19 AM

Unfortunately many games are like that. It didn't bother me too much though 'cause in many way Mass Effect 1 & 2 are very similar to Knights of the Old Republic 1. BioWare's games have a structured story, but from an RPG standpoint those were really good games.

What is disappointed me though was Crysis 2. Unlike Crysis 1 which gave you the option to approach your destination from a few different ways, Crysis 2 all "tunnel vision". Classic console approach to a video game.
m
l
July 24, 2011 1:34:17 AM

ermmmm...... I guess I'll just buy all of them and sort them out later (I wish!).
I CAN get two games; I really see something in the mass effect series so I'll get the first one, and I'll also grab either crysis or starcraft 2....
m
l
July 24, 2011 7:17:43 AM

The Witcher 2. No contest.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:12:43 PM

I'm not a real hardcore RPG gamer though.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:28:18 PM

chaorace said:
I'm not a real hardcore RPG gamer though.

You don't have to be hardcore into rpgs to enjoy witcher 2... It is more of an action RPG with incredible visuals, dx9 or no with replay value through the roof . After I beat it the first time I immediately started my 2nd playthrough. Phenomenal would be the word I would use in describing it.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:33:23 PM

yeah witcher 2, mass effect 2, metro2033 and the crysis franchise is good:) 
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:37:15 PM

yeah, ok, but the price is still pretty high, maybe I should get the original (tosave money if I don't like the series), and the original mass effect. This way, I can get two games for $10 less than the price of witcher 2.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:42:42 PM

chaorace said:
yeah, ok, but the price is still pretty high, maybe I should get the original (tosave money if I don't like the series), and the original mass effect. This way, I can get two games for $10 less than the price of witcher 2.

I would advise against witcher 1 for you seeing as how there were more RPG elements in it as opposed to the sequel which was more action oriented. Try play-sc.com for cheap games. Someone on the forums has tried it and said it saved money and said the transaction was pretty legit.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:46:31 PM

I am of the same opinion on the witcher, mostly because the medieval subgenre has been raped to sweet death. But I'll give the original a shot just based on these recomendations.
m
l
July 24, 2011 3:55:55 PM

Quote:
metro2033 is a lot of fun. I can'tsaythe same for ME2, and I haven't played witcher2 yet but it comes of to me as another rpg set in the medieval days.

I agree about metro, but also found mass effect to be fun as well. You would not like witcher 2 if you didn't like mass effect. They are similar in story arc and dialogue options. The world in witcher 2 although played out medieval as you say is very believable and fun to dwell in. I would give it a 9.8 out of 10 but im a sucker for games as such and anyone who likes free roam, meh might not like it, or even moreso the fans of bioware even though there are *** talking fanboys out there of both series' strengths will find 40+ Hours of delight.
m
l
July 24, 2011 4:07:34 PM

Great! Now I just gotta wait for the last part of my new PC to get here on tuesday!
m
l
July 25, 2011 8:14:28 AM

witcher 2 and mass effect 2 are some of the best rpg's ive ever played, and ill back them all the way:) 
m
l
July 25, 2011 8:27:14 AM

chaorace said:
I HATE buying flops that look good, but then dissapoint. I try to pick based on reviews, but I still can't seem to find many games I like....

I suppose I'm looking for a suggestion for any decent games out there; also, I'm getting a new system, so a very flashy game is a plus to show off the new graphics card.(Replayibility counts!)

I own these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal
Portal 2
Civ 5
Oblivion
Team fortress 2
Terraria

I LOVE these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal 2
Civ 5
Team fortress 2

I would prefer 1st person shooters that lean away from stale call of duty styles or RPG's with 200+ hours of play. I'm open to other genres if the game is interesting enough...

Price is not a concern.

Try playing Onimusha 3 and I am sure you would love the game. It is one of the best game with best graphics. First 1-2 rounds will look like an old movie but after that you will see the real-cake.

Try playing it and I am sure you would be happier like me :hello: 
m
l
July 25, 2011 9:17:59 AM

If you like the fallout series (though FO3 is nothing compared to FO1+2) and you are after something graphically impressive I'd suggest Boarderlands. Of course this is a console game so the graphics aren't next generation but they are very cool and the game itself is very good.

I'd also suggest you keep an eye on Rage which will be out soon. Now that's what a game should look like on a PC. Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGo5BnfU2Y

Edit: Oh and Metro 2033 is really really good, there is no real replay value but you can pick it up for £7 new on amazon and it's well worth that.
m
l
July 25, 2011 9:36:44 AM

chaorace said:

I own these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal
Portal 2
Civ 5
Oblivion
Team fortress 2
Terraria

I LOVE these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal 2
Civ 5
Team fortress 2

Price is not a concern.

Think the idea is at times, that even on graphic games, which has many interps of course, but on higher detail of designs and implementations of highlights into the features sets of the content in a release, against features as well to say. Has more the interest of probably release.

To name like FPS to say, like recisae (can't spell very well). Or Shrapnel FPS probaly isnt the best to point out, but still, probably easier to tell after awhile. Motion as well. Theres only a small part of difference i think for awhile, but is fairly dynamic once and awhile when not or so.
m
l
July 25, 2011 9:50:52 AM

aztec_scribe said:
If you like the fallout series (though FO3 is nothing compared to FO1+2) and you are after something graphically impressive I'd suggest Boarderlands. Of course this is a console game so the graphics aren't next generation but they are very cool and the game itself is very good.

I'd also suggest you keep an eye on Rage which will be out soon. Now that's what a game should look like on a PC. Here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XGo5BnfU2Y

Edit: Oh and Metro 2033 is really really good, there is no real replay value but you can pick it up for £7 new on amazon and it's well worth that.

Borderlands was a snore fest for me.it was fun for 10 levels or so and got increasingly boring the more I played it.
m
l
July 25, 2011 9:53:35 AM

K-zon said:
Think the idea is at times, that even on graphic games, which has many interps of course, but on higher detail of designs and implementations of highlights into the features sets of the content in a release, against features as well to say. Has more the interest of probably release.

To name like FPS to say, like recisae (can't spell very well). Or Shrapnel FPS probaly isnt the best to point out, but still, probably easier to tell after awhile. Motion as well. Theres only a small part of difference i think for awhile, but is fairly dynamic once and awhile when not or so.

I read your post twice and still cant figure out what the hell you said
m
l
July 25, 2011 2:47:54 PM

if you get crysis 2 at steam and downloaded the 1.9 patch thats will be the best gaming experience you can have , but unfortunately your PC will not handle it at 1080p wich i highly recommend .

or maybe you should get DIRT 3 .. it has the best graphics i ever saw in a racing games .. and the gameplay is awesome 2 .. i give it 10/9.5
m
l
July 25, 2011 2:50:19 PM

hameem 1 said:
if you get crysis 2 at steam and downloaded the 1.9 patch thats will be the best gaming experience you can have , but unfortunately your PC will not handle it at 1080p wich i highly recommend .

or maybe you should get DIRT 3 .. it has the best graphics i ever saw in a racing games .. and the gameplay is awesome 2 .. i give it 10/9.5

Im not sure about it being the best gaming experience he will ever have, but it sure is nifty.
m
l
July 25, 2011 3:46:57 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Im not sure about it being the best gaming experience he will ever have, but it sure is nifty.

ok.. whats the best gaming experiences we can have ? .. THE BEST :bounce: 
m
l
July 25, 2011 3:52:18 PM

hameem 1 said:
ok.. whats the best gaming experiences we can have ? .. THE BEST :bounce: 

OP will have to decide for himself what game will be the best experience. I am just expressing my doubts that crysis 2 will take the crown. The DX11 stuff is ok i guess, but it wasnt game changing by any means.
m
l
!