Tired of buying flops; Need a graphically impressive game for new PC

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
I HATE buying flops that look good, but then dissapoint. I try to pick based on reviews, but I still can't seem to find many games I like....

I suppose I'm looking for a suggestion for any decent games out there; also, I'm getting a new system, so a very flashy game is a plus to show off the new graphics card.(Replayibility counts!)

I own these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal
Portal 2
Civ 5
Oblivion
Team fortress 2
Terraria

I LOVE these games:
Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Portal 2
Civ 5
Team fortress 2

I would prefer 1st person shooters that lean away from stale call of duty styles or RPG's with 200+ hours of play. I'm open to other genres if the game is interesting enough...

Price is not a concern.

Thanks for reading this thread and please help me find something!

Captainhero

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
BF3 looked amazing! That explosion was like: holy A**!!!! L4D2 was a close second, but I have a crippling fear of zombies...

Any games that look pretty good, but also have that coveted replay value?Imma thinking mass effect series...

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
only to a degree, I'm not always connected to the internet, nor do I always feel like repeating the same manuevers to try to beat people (who may actually be better than me; that never happens when playing against AI)

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
There has been a few games in which multi-player has been ruined by people. For example I can't stand playing GRAW2 with people who play like it is unreal tournament.

Yes, just like that reference to two games I was too late to the videogame scene to try out.

wow 200+ hours of play... i dont think such a game exists. most have about 40 max.
online is different. i played cod4 for over 1000hours ... if you want top notch gfx and gameplay then witcher 2 hits the mark it also has between 40 to 50 hours of gameplay.
fps shooters your liiking at 10 hours tops with most falling in the 6-8 hours for the single player.
badcompany 2 and black opps look good and have some replayability.

chaorace

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
plenty of RPG's offer 200+ hours of play; you must have never played a bethesda game.... Starcraft 2 looks interesting, I haven't really played many RTS's; I just wish blizzard would embrace steam, I gave up traditional media 2 years ago.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Blizzard has there own download service they won't be embracing steam.

Starcraft 2 is a good game because it is constantly evolving with new user created content and game types. Even if you don't like traditional PVP online competition there are alot of coop game types.

If you want eye candy, metro or witcher 2. People have been recommending some great games that aren't graphically advanced, but are still nonetheless great games. Which are you wanting? If you want crazy amount of content and hours upon hours of replay then you can pretty much rule out the game being visually impressive and moreso just expansive. I've thrown the 2 games out there for you because they are both great games that will push your hardware... As far as replay value that's up to you to decide if the game is right for you. They both have many many reviews online not to count the plethora of other games people have recommended so you can choose well the games suggested. Medieval played out ? Not for me but if you want an rpg and not mass effect or kotor good luck.

Overclocked Toaster

Distinguished
May 5, 2011
there are only a handful of games which will really put a new mid-high end gaming system to its full potential. most games are made so they can run well on the obsolete consoles. I can not think of a single pc-exclusive FPS game since... crysis (that is four friggin years ago)

RTS games like shogun 2 are visually impressive and have lots of replay value.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

And I gave up on steam 2 years ago. ( Offline mode does not work.)

That is a good RTS game, but I like the C&C games better for game play. I used to play LAN with a friend all the time. Internet at my place was bad then and it faster now, but still quit's on me 2-5 times a week for 1-2h.

Shogun 2 is a vary good looking game and when steam works it's fun. ( I did not know it needed steam. P.S If is so good then put: THIS GAME NEED'S STEAM AND THE INTERNET TO PLAY, BECUASE EVERY ONE AND THER BRO LIVE IN NEW YORK WHERE EVERY ONE AND THER BRO HAS 100MB SPEED THAT WORK"S 1000% of the time.)

P.S As you can see steam is a pain for me and I wish that it just stayed as a store than internet DRM for the disk ones.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I just tryed it before I went to a place with NO INternet for 1-2 weeks and I put it in Offline mode and then log in page.( I am glad I have less than 5 games on steam and I got alot of no steam games that 100% worked.)

But anyway Steam won becuase every one thinks they are "Good" and that all the so called "BIG pub's" are "bad". ( I think they are the most overrated thing sec to facebook. I saw it on tv so much that I used to tv as bait to catsh a fish.)

I gave up on steam due to:

1) LOG ins ( I have reset my pass 6-7 times.)

2) crash's ( It's a buggy app)

3) offline is a joke and STILL IS,I just tryed it and yes the stupid thing is up to date.

I am glad it works for you, but I have seen to much of this killing disk like they are going to kill you.

P.S before you call me old school, I got a 3Dtv and a good PC.

4ktv

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

I will have to try it that way next time. I just got my 3Dtv and it's way better then the old 32in 1080i lcd tv I had. I like thing's that just work, but can try to fix it. I like my macbook pro 2011, becuase it just works.( just kid I don't have a MAC and I think they are over pirced. I think the lay out is user unfriendly too.) I have a sony laptop from 08 that is bulit well and it just work's. Steam makes me think of the acer laptop's I used to have. I tryed to make them work, but the overheating and disk drives not working, esc. made me say no more acer laptop's. So then it was xps 15 vs the new at the time fw 16in and the sony was 400 less with more on it.

P.S thank's for the tip.